Player
    Character
    Saikhan Dotharl
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 85

Torn between Black Mage and Summoner!

I had the urge to go back to Summoner after coming back to XIV, but ugh, Im not sure what is happening but I find it near impossible to pick it back up, Black Mage was easy I felt like I remastered it coming back to the game within just a few hours, Summoner though? I have researched every rotation, and tried my best and yet I still fall so incredibly short despite its gear being on par with my BLM gear, and even a bigger issue is how fast I run out of mana, everyone says to refresh your DoT's and etc. and spam ruin 2 when there is nothing else to do, well I do that but I still go OOM about halfway through fights, using Energy Drain feels like a huge dps loss, so I'm not sure what to do, can anyone help? Should I just stick to BLM because its easier and does tons of damage without much effort?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ryshad Aries
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by leoxastaroth View Post
    I had the urge to go back to Summoner after coming back to XIV, but ugh, Im not sure what is happening but I find it near impossible to pick it back up, Black Mage was easy I felt like I remastered it coming back to the game within just a few hours, Summoner though? I have researched every rotation, and tried my best and yet I still fall so incredibly short despite its gear being on par with my BLM gear, and even a bigger issue is how fast I run out of mana, everyone says to refresh your DoT's and etc. and spam ruin 2 when there is nothing else to do, well I do that but I still go OOM about halfway through fights, using Energy Drain feels like a huge dps loss, so I'm not sure what to do, can anyone help? Should I just stick to BLM because its easier and does tons of damage without much effort?
    Always keep DoTs refreshed is 100% true. As far as the mana problem, you shouldn't run into any issues as long as you're keeping Aetherflow on cooldown and not trying to spam Blizzard II or Tri-Disaster. One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was spamming Ruin II. The only time Ruin II is ever necessary is during movement, otherwise, as you did, you will run out of mana very very easily. Ruin I is your filler spam, Ruin II does the same damage but at a much higher mana cost and is instant.
    (0)

Character
    Elenath Lanthir
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeratoTyrael View Post
    Always keep DoTs refreshed is 100% true. As far as the mana problem, you shouldn't run into any issues as long as you're keeping Aetherflow on cooldown and not trying to spam Blizzard II or Tri-Disaster.
    Not true. You will go oom when you weave Ruin II between off-GCD abilities (as you should) if the encounter is too long, even if you keep Aetherflow on cooldown.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Avalen Koma
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    You generally don't need mana in any fight except T8, in most cases you won't ever need to use Energy Drain unless you die. As for Ruin II's, you should only be using the skill during movement, inbetween off-GCD's (such as Rouse, Spur, Kindle etc) or right before a fester in a Ruin I rotation.

Ex Ruin I -> Ruin I -> (Festers about to come up -> Ruin II -> Fester

Using Garuda also lowers your MP cost over due to contagion.

Don't use Miasma II unless you couple it with a Contagion(for single targets). Try not to clip your DoTs too early. (Recast at about 3-4 seconds for most fights). Make your best out of Bane in multiple enemy scenarios to prevent having to recast fresh DoTs on extra mobs.
    (1)
    Last edited by Havenchild; 08-18-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Character
    Casval Daikun
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    SMN for Trials
    BLM for everything else
    Coils are different.

>inb4 a bunch of idiots saying smn clears trash faster than blm
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Nheu Mhakaracca
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by leoxastaroth View Post
    and spam ruin 2 when there is nothing else to do
    You do realize that by spamming ruin 2 you are spending twice the amount of mp for the exact same damage as ruin 1? That blind isn't that important and it hits diminishing returns anyway. Like others said, only for moving and for weaving OGCD's.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pawah Mujuuk
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    I guess both job doesn't have the mp issue if played right. SMN wise for ruin2 it heavy mp consumption but still manageable you might not end the dungeon with full MP but you still end it with a little mp left. In lv 50 content I usually find myself use less ruin/ruin2 but more AoE staff like bizzard2 and still keep a good chank of mp with AF so, don't be to conserved with your skill put them out and see what it happen!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeytheman View Post
    You do realize that by spamming ruin 2 you are spending twice the amount of mp for the exact same damage as ruin 1? That blind isn't that important and it hits diminishing returns anyway. Like others said, only for moving and for weaving OGCD's.
    Ruin2 is optimal. Allows for more autoattacks, which carries 0 additional risk in at least half of the current "endgame" fights (counting extremes and coil).
    (0)

XI: Zeroblade, Titan Server

Player
    Character
    Heretic Bliss
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Haven't been back in the game for very long, so apologies if this is a silly question... Umm, are mages supposed to be autoattacking? I haven't seen any do it and it doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Mage autoattacks aren't ranged are they?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaya Yuuna
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by HereticBliss View Post
    Haven't been back in the game for very long, so apologies if this is a silly question... Umm, are mages supposed to be autoattacking? I haven't seen any do it and it doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Mage autoattacks aren't ranged are they?
    mage auto attacks are close range physical.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast