Player
    Character
    Kaitlyn Keras
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobooman View Post
    I have only beat the fight once, its insanely hard for what it is (well was when i ran it) main thing is not to use a lb until last set of orbs things and then the tank uses it.
    Although that in itself can be frustrating. Sometimes the tank uses it too early or misses it completely and the party wipes. It also helps if someone who knows the fight has a macro that will call out when the tank is supposed to use the LB (although i was in one run where the healer used the macro early, the tank used the LB, and the wall wore off right as the orbs showed up. it was hilarious).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jera Teiwaz
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 50
    Yep, the game is overly new-person friendly, but the playerbase is definitely not. I let that sink in for a couple weeks before I came to the conclusion that I wasn't having fun anymore.

"Play with only people you know," they say. "Only do endgame with your FC or static." I wanted to play an MMO where I interact with other people, but not the kind of interaction as outlined by the OP. And I didn't really feel like paying for an 8 player co-op game - I subscribed to a bigger world than that.
    (5)

Character
    Rex Xylon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Hahaha OP,

It's always crap to get someone that's a jerk like that. HOWEVER, he may have had a point...You gotta make sure you're geared up. And sure he was barking orders about the tanks "tank swapping"...but that's because that's actually the mechanic. They'll get this debuff stack that will eventually just get them killed. That's why that's there.

So sure he knew what he was talking about, but there were much better ways of doing it.

He probably stuck around for the boost in rewards BECAUSE you guys were new. Healers don't get a 70+ wait time in queues.

That being said, if he really was a "pro" he wouldn't solo queue in Duty Finder to just find out he's queued up with a bunch of new players. If he was anything he probably said he was, he'd know how the DF goes. He sounds like he didn't have anyone to do the fight with. And you may have been exposed to the reason why.

It's too bad you're not on Hyperion OP, I'd take you into my Linkshell. I enjoy helping.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Lucille Wallace
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    HI I A REX
    Careful with this guy. <3

OP: Congratulations on your first win and the loots!!! I know very well the feeling of winning a hard battle for the first time. The win itself is more rewarding than the loot (debatable). On the other hand, keep in mind that... no matter how rude a person can be. Some of the advice given may be helpful for your party's progression. Despite this "U NO GEARED HODOR" thing and that bs, which doesn't help but it generates resentment, maybe he was giving some useful tips that people probably didn't read because of his rudeness.

Sadly, you'll find people like that everywhere, not only on post lvl 50 content. You gotta be prepared for that. As someone else just pointed out, it's a good idea to join a LS or FC where you can stick with people and do that and more content together. It'll help you to create a nice environment in which you'll find comfortable to explore more of the content you're afraid of without this exigent/jerk people trying to let you down.

Good luck in your progression!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ganth Fyrion
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    That was an enjoyable read. There are a few points I would like to make.

1. There is giving advice, and then there is being douchebag in your presentation. As the saying goes "You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

2. The level 50 instances (save the Main Scenario ones) have a minimum ilvl requirement to be able to participate in. Sure, some of them feel like, to me, that the requirement is too low. But, so long as you meet the minimum requirement, you can participate in that raid/dungeon/trial.

3. From my experience of playing several MMOs, whenever I see someone mention about being geared for a particular dungeon, I interpret it as "You have to be as over-geared as possible, endgame gear preferably". I'm certain that I'm not the only one that gets that interpretation.

4. While watching a Youtube video (or reading a guide) can be handy, nothing beats first hand experience when it comes to learning. I will watch a video to give me an idea of what to expect, and how to respond to certain mechanics. But I learn best from trial and error and good old fashioned practice. Sometimes, just because you're responding as you should as in a video/ guide, doesn't mean that you won't have a wipe or two. And, sometimes, you just have to adapt to the situation and respond in a way that is not covered in some guide.

5. At the end, I'm always glad that it's over. And I certainly don't have my parting words be "I hate you all." Unless it's in jest, but I would only be saying that to my FC members. *cough*
    (5)
    Last edited by Noshpan; 08-01-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Silly character limits
    I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Player
    Character
    Dagger Deviljho
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    There are so many people I want to reply to but I think I will leave it at this.

Alright guys...back in my day we had to walk 15 miles barefoot in the snow.....hahahaha...just kidding! Here goes:

My generation of gamers and today's gamers like us, spend hours learning the mechanics of games. We learned how to play to our fullest to take advantage of a game's system. Guides, pfft, WE WROTE THEM! Watching videos (VHS, LMAO) for tactics was unheard of.

I have noticed a lot of posts on these boards, "People are only concerned about the endgame, rush rush rush end game." Me? Not so much. I like the journey, I like learning. I love failing and failing and failing, only to eventually succeed! Not because I was TOLD what to do, but because I FIGURED IT OUT. Being told what to do ruins games for me. The entire endgame of FFXIV has been people telling me what to do. Where is the fun in that?

I have tried to make "learning" parties. I challenge all of you to go into PF and make a learning party for anything that is not coil and let me know how that goes. No one WANTS to learn, people WANT to be told what to do. That is just not something I understand. Why are you playing a game, if you are being told what to do? Why are you given different rotations/armor/weapons if it is only acceptable to use certain ones? Why are players shunned for experimenting and not playing a certain way, shouldn't this be encouraged? Break the mold and find an even better way to do it, that's how I roll.

Yes, yes I know, learn on your own time, don't waste mine! Personally I feel that attitude is destroying MMOs, it's not the "theme park casual carnival" everyone says it is. It is deep game, with various different ways to beat the exact same boss, but too many people want to use the proven way that worked before, too many people are afraid to break from the mold to try anything new, and way too many people are content being TOLD what to do, because they are not there to play and have fun, they are there for loot, loot, loot, loot, loot! Nothing else matters and it kills what could be a very unique community.

I have posted this before, SE needs to implement a system within DF, you queue up for DF as normal but you are given an option: Explore or Speed Run
    Explore: For new people and people who want to take their time through the dungeon
    Speed Run: For people who just want to go for the loot

Anyways, that is my 2 cents on this topic. I understand people do not want their time to be wasted, however, what about the flip side, some people actually WANT to learn but are given no time to.

EDIT: I have a PS4 and used the share option after this fight because it was such an incredible fight. It is only the last 15 minutes, the video is currently on my FB, tonight I will play around and see if I can upload from my PS4 to youtube or from FB to youtube. (Just got my PS4 last Friday so I haven't played around with all the options!) Then you can see the awesome ending to this as well as the WONDERFUL healer!
    (9)
    Last edited by Dagger_32; 08-01-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kadz Drooz
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50

Couldn't agree with you more.

I completely enjoyed the read and must point out at the fact that at one point, we ALL started out as a newbie baby... whether you just started your first steps as an adventurer in Eorzea, or taking your big first steps at endgame. Both can be scary and fun, depends on how you enjoy the game, and realize that one important fact, that you yourself was once a beginner.

By doing so, you should be able to appreciate other players who are also starting something for their first time. Doesn't matter whether he/she is either properly equipped for the fight (ilvl requirement, etc), or have watched YouTube prior to the fights (which I gotta say, actually ruins the FUN you could have discovering the challenge you're about to face).

I have also gone through such harsh scenario, but we stuck through it and the experience made it 10x better - I practically loved the game even more after going through such hardship.

Play to Enjoy. Enjoy to Play.
    See you in Eorzea!
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Aladdin Sane
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Hey OP brilliant story I'm glad you got your kill I love the story and best of all you had fun in the end which is why we all should play the game.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Brine Gildchaff
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by k4dz View Post
    Doesn't matter whether he/she is either properly equipped for the fight (ilvl requirement, etc), or have watched YouTube prior to the fights (which I gotta say, actually ruins the FUN you could have discovering the challenge you're about to face).
    I have to at least in part object to this. If you don't watch a guide or at least get someone to explain, for later game fights you are -going- to wipe and it -will- be because of a mechanic that -you- weren't prepared to deal with. There's no way to know without being told, for example, that the orbs in Ultima Ballad will wipe the party if they come into contact. There's no way to know without being told that if you're the off-tank, you have to run over and stun the Wavetooth in Levi EX or he'll Hysteria the hell out of the party. (Though I admit having to learn on my own that you have to stun him -before- he starts casting, and that he can be phase-pushed into doing it early... but both of those cost at least a couple of wipes too.) If you're going on DF, chances are you won't have seven people who are okay with wiping repeatedly so you can blind-learn the fight's mechanics. I mean, it's fun sometimes to blind-learn, hell, I did it as a tank for the three new expert dungeons. But I did that with a party of people I knew and were totally okay with me doing that. I would never even dream of making three other people wipe repeatedly on Liavinne while I tried to piece together her core mechanic myself.

I mean, consider a new DPS trying to run T5 without reading anything.
    "Okay, dragons, this'll be cool... wait, which one do I attack? ... oh god why am I on fire HEAL PLZ ... okay, those guys are gone... what's this blue symbol on my head WHY AM I ON FIRE AGAIN BUT WITH HALF THE PARTY THIS TIME ... wait, green now? Why's everyone running donw... oh cool the wall kills you if you hit it?"
    ... you get my point.

tl;dr Blind learning is fun but the DF isn't the place for it; if you want to learn blind find other people who are willing to go through that process.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kadz Drooz
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Brine_Gildchaff View Post
    ... If you don't watch a guide or at least get someone to explain, for later game fights you are -going- to wipe and it -will- be because of a mechanic that -you- weren't prepared to deal with. ...
    I agree, being told/explained by someone prior to the fight (or "chatting" with someone to guide you through) is always great for preparation, but my beef is actually on watching the whole fight on youtube, would be spoiling the whole surprise, IMO.
    (1)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast