Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Player
    Character
    Sora Burakku
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    I dont think we will see much more by way of new jobs until 3.0 Yoshi-P has been contemplating reworking the armory system to allow for better flexibility with coming out with new jobs. I read an interview (posted below) where Yoshi-P expressed his thoughts on adhering to this old system.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/122...edia-Interview

Last year when Scholar was introduced at E3, it was mentioned that it would branch off from the same class as Summoner, and this would be a mechanic that would be used more, but it has yet to happen for any other class. You haven’t announced anything yet, but are there any other plans to introduce anything like this? For example, another swordsman besides Paladin?

Well, we need to look into this and whether we want to keep that plan, it’s something we have to consider as we add new jobs and classes. One of the more difficult things with the system is that when a job is derived from a class, it's tied to the class's actions. Also, when we make multiple jobs from one class, the weakness with having multiple jobs branch out of one class without being able to freely switch stats around is exposed. This wasn’t a problem initially because both of those jobs were simultaneously added and it was planned from the start, but now we have to carefully think about this. One thing we could consider, for example, is a hybrid job derived from more than one class, but it may change depending on what we want to add. The number of jobs will increase even further with 3.0 (the expansion pack), and at that point we might decide on an entirely new mechanism, so please hang on for further details.

Do you think the current armory system is limiting some interesting design choice for future jobs? What kind of improvement would you like to see?
    (1)

Character
    Fulminating Bloodlust
    World
    Ultima
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikMynhier View Post
    To be fair there may be only 2 tank jobs, but there is only 1 good DPS. JK, but seriously... MONK LOVE!
    Honestly, if you good reliable dps with tons of burst you'll bring a DRG over anything else. MNK shines in long battles that's about it.
    (0)

Player

Samurai as tank/dps
    Red Mage as healer/dps
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Joshua Bernard
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by MageBlack View Post
    I dont think we will see much more by way of new jobs until 3.0 Yoshi-P has been contemplating reworking the armory system to allow for better flexibility with coming out with new jobs. I read an interview (posted below) where Yoshi-P expressed his thoughts on adhering to this old system.
    Yeah. I think a revamp is in order. The way it currently is... just doesn't work. I'm not expecting to see as many jobs as FFXI had, but that is one of the things I loved about XI; the vast amount of jobs you could play. It definitely kept it fresh.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Edge Vice
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 83
    Yeah, scrap classes. Instead, to encourage leveling other jobs, maybe we could do something a little less direct than FFXI where you basically just got a stat bonus and the abilities of the subjob that were appropriate up to the subjobs level (which was half your level at the max). Like allowing the subjob to affect your job's abilities.

Example:
    WHM who subs BLM gets more crit heals and have burn and regen phases.
    WHM who subs SCH gets a small shield attached to their heals and another damage reduction ability or two.
    WHM who subs SMN gets a HoT on their heals that can stack and be instantly consumed by a cooldown ability for a healing burst.

Basically your subjob dictates your "spec". And the level of your subjob determines the potency of the spec bonuses. And maybe cap that at a reasonable level so we don't feel compelled to level our subjob to max.

Tada?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shichi Mamura
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    So..FFXI-2?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duelle Urelle
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicked View Post
    Basically your subjob dictates your "spec". And the level of your subjob determines the potency of the spec bonuses. And maybe cap that at a reasonable level so we don't feel compelled to level our subjob to max.
    One idea that was kicked around the forums before 1.18 hit was to have classes define the "spec" of a job. A CNJ that equipping the Soul of the Paladin could be more heals-focused, a GLA that equipped the PLD crystal would be tank-focused and so on.

The only issue I had with that is that it allowed abominations like paladins and red mages using staves instead of their iconic weapons to exist.
    (0)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line like good little casters.
    * Design ideas:
    Red Mage - COMPLETE (https://tinyurl.com/y6tsbnjh), Chemist - Second Pass (https://tinyurl.com/ssuog88), Thief - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/vdjpkoa), Rune Fencer - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/y3fomdp2)

Player
    Character
    Edge Vice
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    One idea that was kicked around the forums before 1.18 hit was to have classes define the "spec" of a job. A CNJ that equipping the Soul of the Paladin could be more heals-focused, a GLA that equipped the PLD crystal would be tank-focused and so on.

The only issue I had with that is that it allowed abominations like paladins and red mages using staves instead of their iconic weapons to exist.
    That would be rather odd. Also I think people want to be a Job primarily and they don't really care much about the broader classes. I don't think anyone picks up FFXIV thinking they want to be a level 50 Thaumaturge. They definitely want to be a Black Mage.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alisette Dumont
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Exstal View Post
    The way I read it, Rogue *should* be named Thief. It shouldn't be Rogue, 双剣士, Surineur, and Schurke but rather be named, Thief, シーフ, Voleur, and Dieb. But lore caused problems so the former was chosen
    What I find more interesting is that in English, German, and French it is named something like "rogue". In all three the name implies the rough life, the wild side, whatever you want to call it.

yet in Japanese it is simply called 双剣士 (soukenshi), which translates to "duel swordsman" (or "duel fencer" if you like that better). Which is more of a description of the weapons it uses than a style of life.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice_89th View Post
    What I find more interesting is that in English, German, and French it is named something like "rogue". In all three the name implies the rough life, the wild side, whatever you want to call it.

Yet in Japanese it is simply called 双剣士 (soukenshi), which translates to "duel swordsman" (or "duel fencer" if you like that better). Which is more of a description of the weapons it uses than a style of life.
    That's always been the case though. Each localization has put a spin on the class, which implies something like a style of character, while the Japanese is always just the weapon set. Bowman, Swordsman, Axeman, Curse-er, Hand-to-hand combatant, Illusion(?)(Gen)-ist, etc. Whether you consider that as a "purer" take on the classes (or class names specifically) or not though, the ability sets, especially the CD arsenals, or each class certainly does push each weapon usage in a certain direction, which is why the classes, mere weapons and learning to better use them, act a bit like jobs in their own right.
    (0)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7