Player
    Character
    Zami Terrechant
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeus View Post
    Not likely, SE was kinda disappointed with how Scholar and Summoner turned out so they aren't really looking to do any branching classes, in some instances I can see it... but like for instance making two DPS jobs off a DPS class would be silly would play WAY too similar.
    its not that SE was disappointed with how it worked, its just nearly incredibly difficult to repeat without having 2 nearly identical classes, the main reason summoner and scholar works so well is because of the alteration of pets being game-changing to the class.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Duelle Urelle
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamii View Post
    its not that SE was disappointed with how it worked, its just nearly incredibly difficult to repeat without having 2 nearly identical classes, the main reason summoner and scholar works so well is because of the alteration of pets being game-changing to the class.
    What gets me about the reasoning SE presented is that they could easily use the job soul crystals as the main way to alter stats to allow two jobs to come from one class. Unless they're pressed for time to do something like this, I still don't see why they haven't use this approach already.

I can admit that certain classes would be more difficult to work with than others (CNJ in particular is entirely built around healing), but a class like GLA could easily morph into a DPS job if the job crystal changed the aspects of certain GLA abilities.
    (1)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line like good little casters.
    * Design ideas:
    Red Mage - COMPLETE (https://tinyurl.com/y6tsbnjh), Chemist - Second Pass (https://tinyurl.com/ssuog88), Thief - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/vdjpkoa), Rune Fencer - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/y3fomdp2)

Player
    Character
    Zami Terrechant
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynza View Post
    One thing I am curious about, is whether ninja will get asymmetrical weapons. The high allagan blades appear to have differing colors, but retain the same model. On that note, I do wonder what the names of the relic blades are called.
    the difference in the picture with the high allagen weapons would be sheathed (darker) and unsheathed (glowing red) versions, not different for each hand.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zami Terrechant
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    What gets me about the reasoning SE presented is that they could easily use the job soul crystals as the main way to alter stats to allow two jobs to come from one class. Unless they're pressed for time to do something like this, I still don't see why they haven't use this approach already.

I can admit that certain classes would be more difficult to work with than others (CNJ in particular is entirely built around healing), but a class like GLA could easily morph into a DPS job if the job crystal changed the aspects of certain GLA abilities.
    SE made a post months ago about it, cant remember for sure where it was but short version is they had no plans to repeat this class design philosophy any time soon.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Charlemagne Ifrit
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I wonder if the two daggers will be treated as separate items or as a single weapon. If they are separate weapons with one going into the shield slot then it opens up some very interesting options. Secondary daggers with status effects for example. Perhaps silence, poison or resistance lowering, each of more or less use in different fights.
    I have a UAT I was going to use for the sch book, but I'm seriously considering saving it for NIN.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shichi Mamura
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by charlemagne View Post
    I wonder if the two daggers will be treated as separate items or as a single weapon. If they are separate weapons with one going into the shield slot then it opens up some very interesting options. Secondary daggers with status effects for example. Perhaps silence, poison or resistance lowering, each of more or less use in different fights.
    I have a UAT I was going to use for the sch book, but I'm seriously considering saving it for NIN.
    F:I know it’s a dual wield job, but will you use two weapons like you did in FFXI?

Y: It’ll be different. Even though it’s a pair of weapons, it will both be together as one weapon. You won’t equip each one separately.
    Nope.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Charlemagne Ifrit
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Exstal View Post
    Nope.
    Awww I think that's a missed opportunity. I've been hoping we might get some status effect weapons for a while now. I'd originally hoped it might be status effect arrows but gave up on that idea once arrows disappeared from the game in 2.0. Remember all the different status effect arrows we had in xi? Blind,poison,sleep, acid, elemental dmg etc.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shichi Mamura
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Awww I think that's a missed opportunity. I've been hoping we might get some status effect weapons for a while now. I'd originally hoped it might be status effect arrows but gave up on that idea once arrows disappeared from the game in 2.0. Remember all the different status effect arrows we had in xi? Blind,poison,sleep, acid, elemental dmg etc.
    The issue I have is, it effectively doubles the work SE would have to do and puts Ninja at a loot disadvantage. It's worked in other games, but it'd be much more annoying here.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hiraeth Petrichor
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    In the recent live letter preview we can see 4 mudra. They're heavily stylized kanji by the looks of it and to the best of my ability I believe they are the following (in order of appearance): 决, 巾, 老, 赳. Respectively: "Decisive," "Width/Breadth," "old/aged," "Grand/Valiant" or thereabouts.

The Ninjutsu mudra combos shown are:
    决: Giant exploding shurikan thrown.
    巾+老: Bolt of lightning.
    Unknown combination: Ice.
    巾+巾: Fire.
    Uknown combination: Earth swirl.
    决+赳+巾: Tornado thing.
    巾+巾+巾: Water spout.

Each mudra appears to be off the GCD. The Ninjutsu which require 3 mudra take about 3 seconds to input. Therefor it's highly likely that the bulk of the NIN's DPS will come from Rogue abilities and that they will most likely be DoT's. Essentially a melee-SMN sans pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynza View Post
    Paladin's skills potency is drawn from strength
    Just want to point out that physical weapon skills deal damage based on Attack Potency, not STR/DEX. STR/DEX determines AP at a 1:1 ratio (in addition to parry/block rates/mitigation). Whether or not STR or DEX raises AP is determined by the weapon type. For now DEX=AP only for bows and STR=AP for every other weapon (including books/staves/wands/rods/cudgels). This is why it's so easy to make any weapon DEX or STR based, it's literally just a flip of a switch. It's mis-worded and an inaccurate over-simplification on the current tool-tip for DEX where it states it effects ranged attacks. This can be seen with all non-ARC/BRD ranged attacks scaling off of AP which is based on their weapon's stat (STR) and not based on DEX despite them being ranged attacks.

In beta abilities such as Tomahawk did in fact scale off of DEX but they did next to no damage due to their base classes gearing for STR. This is when they rectified the damage formulas for weapon skills to scale off of AP instead of the base stat. The DEX/STR tool-tips are basically just remnants that sort of work in the current model until you bring in all of the non-ARC/BRD ranged attacks.
    (4)
    Last edited by MartaDemireux; 07-28-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kyharu Wolfsbane
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 60
    I believe somewhere it was also said that if it was two seperate weapons it would put NIN at a equipment advantage compared to other classes/jobs I mean if you look at it this way. As Exstal said it really comes down to doubling the balancing work, imagine two i110 weapons both with their own damage, both with their own materia slots, and both give their own stats. Now compared to the other DPS classes that kind of puts them at a disadvantage damage wise unless the stat, damage, and materia slots are shared stats and don't go over eachother.
    (0)

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast