Player
    Character
    Autumn Lovelace
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70

Please fix dresses!

I can only speak for the Lalafell, but the running animation causes very noticeable clipping issues with dresses and skirts (Such as the Spring and Crescent sets).

This gif is with 'Full' movement physics, however it also happens with 'Simple'. Less so with 'Off'.

It seems the simplest thing would be to have the back of the dress go just a bit higher above the foot and we'd be all good; that is unless they're going to put Lalafell in heels anytime soon.
    (36)

Player
    Character
    Bisera Cecilina
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 60
    @OP!

It happens to every one who wears dresses or robes.
    It's especially terribad on fem roegs. There are robes I clip into on both the front and back sides, my knees will go through the front whereas my feet and shins will go through the back. -_-;;
    I've avoided playing anything w/ robes because of this.

For the love of all that is holy, SE please, please, please fix this god awful clipping!!
    Or, if you cannot do that then please make all dresses and robes end at knee length! >_<
    I understand there will always be some clipping but this is just terrible.

On a note for lalas, I wish they would fix the animation when lalas teleport. Their fist goes through their face ... maybe it's only on the females but it's still really bad. -_-
    (6)
    Last edited by Anapingofness; 07-22-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Player
    Character
    M'kael Jin
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 3
    Dresses, robes, coats, hats, everything in this game clips. They haven't fixed any of the others so chances are, they won't fix this either.

Funny thing is, they still refuse to give us long hair while citing "clipping" as the problem. As if.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Lovelace
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    Yeah I can understand that, but this one seems easily fixable by moving the hem slightly higher, or making the material slightly less concave there during animation.

Right now the physics on the dress seem to be a bit too... 'heavy' I guess, pulling it lower onto the feet.

If nothing, with Simple or No physics, this shouldn't be an issue! They'd just have to fix the animation for dress flow so the feet don't clip it!
    (10)
    Last edited by Phenidate; 07-23-2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added comparison gifs

Player
    Character
    Neriya Fior
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    There is also significant clipping when standing in a windy area such as Coerthas. The wind will push the skirt or robe right through my calf as a midland hyur! I've heard of a sharp wind before, but this is ridiculous.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Finbar Geoghagan
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrinn View Post
    Dresses, robes, coats, hats, everything in this game clips. They haven't fixed any of the others so chances are, they won't fix this either.

Funny thing is, they still refuse to give us long hair while citing "clipping" as the problem. As if.
    Clipping is a huge issue with long hair. It'll cut through various types of gear and cause numerous problems.

If the hair as an independent physical simulation from the top of the hair-strands topology to the bottom (such as a physics based cape), then this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

However hair in ARR is skin-weighted to skeleton joins on your characters body.

A skin weight is essentially 'painting' where you want each join to be on a charachter and where this joint "tapers" off onto other joints, as you can see below;

This is how all hair/gear/bodies are rigged in-game, they're weighted to various joints, (therefore longer hair as it isn't an independent physics 'layer' of topology.) leaving long hair to rig to to head, neck, chest, shoulders, collar bones and any other joint that may influence the hairs movement during animation.

One solution for gear/hair clipping is to use; parametric mesh deformation, where a mesh is given a priority layer(like in 1.23) where in if you had a pair of trousers, the topology would adjust and 'tuck' itself of other 3D meshes such as a pair of boots, as the boot would have priority over the trousers thus avoiding clipping.

In the case of hair you could apply this to such things as the WHM hood, where longer hair would 'tuck' into the base of the hood, stopping it from clipping out from underneath the hood.

The problem with that, is that it would require a tremendous amount of effort to adjust the deformation parameters for each gear-set/race/hairstyle/gender combination, which would be a huge waste of time for something so menial.

TL;DR

They have a certain standard to maintain in a very short period of time.

Corners have to be cut, things have to be left as-is, we have to deal with it.
    (42)
    Last edited by Shioban; 07-23-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Player
    Character
    Munkhsaran Dotharl
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrinn View Post

It's not a "problem" or "bug" though - They stated to pretty much accept clipping if we want things, but extra long hair would look really bad with it. It's basically due to them removing a lot of physics and logic in order to make the gameplay "as smooth as possible", so while it's not 100% the reason, that's a big part of why clipping is is pretty bad in this game compared to even XI, which had some, but it wasn't as terrible because things actually properly deformed and whatnot. Even 1.x had better deformers, which they showed off quite a bit of in the 'making of' videos. Sacrifices had to be made for a more simplified play experience.
    (0)
    Last edited by Tupsi; 07-23-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Player
    Character
    Derek Hale
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    I'm wearing the patrician coatee, and I still have my hair clipped while I move.
    it's not just a matter of long dress, skirt.. it's the hair that is the problem xD

but, I mean, you are playing an online game, you can't expect to have perfect graphics. (then again, why is LR a non-online game, with that graphichs? lol)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Munkhsaran Dotharl
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Defteros View Post
    I'm wearing the patrician coatee, and I still have my hair clipped while I move.
    it's not just a matter of long dress, skirt.. it's the hair that is the problem xD

but, I mean, you are playing an online game, you can't expect to have perfect graphics. (then again, why is LR a non-online game, with that graphichs? lol)
    Clipping can be a problem in all kinds of 3D games - Online or offline. It's all in the developer's design.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Lovelace
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    We have long hemmed clothing that's not clipping the feet, you can see it in the side by side gifs. Why does this particular set of clothing clip our feet when it doesn't with other similar gear?

If they could rework the animation a bit... Not right now perhaps, but something for a later patch?

For those not not following the above, imagine you glued little virtual 'sticks' to your leg, foot, and your skirt. When you move your leg, the skirt will move with you differently based on where you put the sticks.

Imagine the clothing is a hologram, you see the clothing, but you can't touch it; but the 'sticks' can. If there's no 'sticks' on the foot (or they're too short) your clothing won't move with the foot properly. Instead it can go THROUGH the foot!

The weighting is kind of like saying 'from this point on the model, use this much 'stick to move this point on the other model'; and stronger weights have more impact on the model as they move.
    (0)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast