Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Mermentia Forevea
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

Limsa Lominsa, Ferry Docks -- Text -- Ahldskyf's Incorrect Hyphenation -- "gods-sent"

When the player is outside the Ferry Docks in Limsa Lominsa and speaks to Ahldskyf to begin the "Sniffing Out a Profit" sidequest, the following text appears, in part:

"
    Ahldskyf: Thank the Twelve! You truly
    are gods-sent! Now, according to a
    rumor I overheard in the Drowning
    "

This is incorrect because the phrase "gods-sent" should not be hyphenated. Other similar phrases in the game ("godsspeed", "godssend", "godsdamned") are not hyphenated, and so this phrase should be treated in the same fashion.

Please fix this issue by replacing "gods-sent" with "godssent".

The corrected text would appear as follows:

"
    Ahldskyf: Thank the Twelve! You truly
    are godssent! Now, according to a
    rumor I overheard in the Drowning
    "

Steps to Reproduce:
    Start the "Sniffing Out a Profit" sidequest and speak to Ahldskyf.
    Observe the text that appears.
    (2)

Dev Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermentia View Post
    Other similar phrases in the game ("godsspeed", "godssend", "godsdamned") are not hyphenated, and so this phrase should be treated in the same fashion.

Please fix this issue by replacing "gods-sent" with "godssent".
    Again, I find myself humbled and speechless in the face of Mermentian logic. Godssent has been de-hyphenated and now awaits a patch. Thanks!
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Shyd Etine
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermentia View Post
    Ahldskyf
    I really hate this NPC name. Can we face roll the keyboard anymore?
    (6)

Vicious Linkshell
    www.viciouslinkshell.com

Player
    Character
    Rhianu Esparta
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 52
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyd View Post
    Can we face roll the keyboard anymore?
    Can we? I say yes, we can. In fact, I say we need more NPCs with faceroll names! We need to be introduced to Ahldskyf's good friends Siykdju, Dsazrfg, Nbyuhjmik, Asdfghjkl, and Fhwdgads!

And they should all live together in their own little settlement called Yhgtfuj j'Dsaf, located in the zone of Hgfdsx'qarf, near the Mountains of Dsxa z'Arfgehtyj, which can be seen looking north from the highest tower in the Magnificent City of Ewrtghjkm, which is guarded by the Great and Terrible Immortal Dragon known only as Ikjhgfyhgds a'Ertuhyglhio785r.
    (26)
    Last edited by Rhianu; 07-27-2011 at 01:33 AM.
    ( ◕ ‿‿ ◕ )

Player
    Character
    Shyd Etine
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    ROFL!!

WOW! Very funny thanks!
    (0)

Vicious Linkshell
    www.viciouslinkshell.com

Ohhhhhh, the /sarcasm command was turned ON. Gotcha

But seriously, at a glance, Roegadyn names can oft appear like a amalgam of seemingly random letters, pounded out by a starved monkey chained in front of a thrift store typewriter.

Ah, but that is where you are mistaken! There actually is a pattern!

...Unfortunately, no one has taken the time to properly explain that system to everyone, and for that an apology is owed. I've spoken with the man in charge of the game's lore, and we both agree that a detailed explanation of NPC naming conventions is long overdue. For now, I can give you a quick overview of Roegadyn names, and hopefully in the near future when we get a to a lull in our patch duties, I can put together something more fancy.

Roegadyn names are actually all formed from two words taken from the ancient Roegadyn language that the race's ancestors spoke before they came to Eorzea. For example, Ahldskyf is a combination of Ahld (meaning 'old') and Skyf (meaning ship). Rostnsthal is a combination of Rostn (rusty) and Sthal (steel). Pronunciation of the names can be a bit easier after splitting the name into its two parts: Ahld + skyf (read "ald-skiff").

Roegadyn Last names can appear even more imposing, but in fact, they follow rules similar to the first names. A last name simply takes the father's name and adds either Syn (meaning 'son') or Wyn (meaning 'daughter'). For example, Limsa Lominsa Admiral, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn could be broken down like this:

Merl (sea) + wyb (wife)
    Bloe (blue) + fhis (fish) + wyn (daughter)

In other words, "Sea Wife, daughter of Blue Fish"

You will see the "old language" used in a lot of Sea Wolf names. The Hellsguard, on the other hand, in an attempt to better adapt to Eorzea, sometimes choose to 'translate' their names from the old language, which is why you will, every now and then, see an NPC named Grizzly Gnat or Immodest Mouse.

I know this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I hope it helps. I'll try to provide more details when I can. Maybe we can even release a dictionary of known Old Roegadyn words.
    (105)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    snip
    Wow, this is very interesting. I can't believe how much thought you guys put into language and names.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Maxi Celestus
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Now that you've broke it down like that, I realize I've been pronouncing Merlwyb's last name wrong. And I finally know how to pronounce Ahldskyf.

Thanks Fernehawlwes!

Oh, one more question. If 'wyn' is daughter, and 'syn' is son, what is 'dyn'?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Aria Placida
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 88
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxi_Irving View Post
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Now that you've broke it down like that, I realize I've been pronouncing Merlwyb's last name wrong. And I finally know how to pronounce Ahldskyf.

Thanks Fernehawlwes!

Oh, one more question. If 'wyn' is daughter, and 'syn' is son, what is 'dyn'?
    As in Roegadyn? Child(ren), maybe?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lienn Deleene
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Ohhhhhh, the /sarcasm command was turned ON. Gotcha

But seriously, at a glance, Roegadyn names can oft appear like a amalgam of seemingly random letters, pounded out by a starved monkey chained in front of a thrift store typewriter.

Ah, but that is where you are mistaken! There actually is a pattern!

...Unfortunately, no one has taken the time to properly explain that system to everyone, and for that an apology is owed. I've spoken with the man in charge of the game's lore, and we both agree that a detailed explanation of NPC naming conventions is long overdue. For now, I can give you a quick overview of Roegadyn names, and hopefully in the near future when we get a to a lull in our patch duties, I can put together something more fancy.

Roegadyn names are actually all formed from two words taken from the ancient Roegadyn language that the race's ancestors spoke before they came to Eorzea. For example, Ahldskyf is a combination of Ahld (meaning 'old') and Skyf (meaning ship). Rostnsthal is a combination of Rostn (rusty) and Sthal (steel). Pronunciation of the names can be a bit easier after splitting the name into its two parts: Ahld + skyf (read "ald-skiff").

Roegadyn Last names can appear even more imposing, but in fact, they follow similar rules as the first names. A last name simply takes the father's name and adds either Syn (meaning 'son') or Wyn (meaning 'daughter'). For example, Limsa Lominsa Admiral, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn could be broken down like this:

Merl (sea) + wyb (wife)
    Bloe (blue) + fhis (fish) + wyn (daughter)

In other words, "Sea Wife, daughter of Blue Fish"

You will see the "old language" used in a lot of Sea Wolf names. The Hellsguard, on the other hand, in an attempt to better adapt to Eorzea, sometimes choose to 'translate' their names from the old language, which is why you will, every now and then, see an NPC named Grizzly Gnat or Immodest Mouse.

I know this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I hope it helps. I'll try to provide more details when I can. Maybe we can even release a dictionary of known Old Roegadyn words.
    Very interesting explanation! Thanks! ^^

Also its worth saying that these names kinda follow the FFXI patterns, having Sea Wolves with their "galkan name" and Hellsguard their "bastokan name". Also, its interesting to see that Roe's name are might sound like a drunk dude speaking the translated word...like "Rostn" for rusty or "Sthal" for steel.

Similar pattern can be seen at lalafells, where Plainfolk have the male name pattern from FFXI and dunefolk the female pattern from FFXI.

Miqo'tes have Keeper of moon having FFXI pattern and Seeker of sun having the apostrophe after first letter.

For elezen, though, i noticed no difference...they all seems to have french name. Same from Hyurs...only difference i can see is highlanders having "arabian" names like Al Zahbi NPCs...would love hearing about elezen and hyur pattern differences too! (Pleeeeease! @_@)

But back to roes, if lodestone ever add a game codex would be nice having a roe ancient language dictionary. ^^
    (6)
    Last edited by Lienn; 07-27-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast