Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Character
    Way Extra
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    I am so eager to get a hold of this.
    I know Lalafell naming has been discussed already, but I'd love a lore guide...

Any chance there's a compilation of already released info floating around?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuwu View Post
    Any chance there's a compilation of already released info floating around?
    As far as I know, Roegadyn and Lalafell are the only two naming conventions openly discussed, though it's pretty clear that the Elezen are mostly rooted in various ages of French and the Hyur are hard to pin down, but seem to be a mix mainly of "familiar" Germanic (compared to the "foreign" sounding Sea Wolf Roegadyn names) and Middle English. I imagine that this diversity is to reflect how, like humans, the Hyur have spread though most of the lands that aren't their "own," per se.

The Miqo'te are where it gets tricky...

All I can say for sure is that the Seekers of the Sun are use mononyns that start with one letter and an apostrophe, followed by two to three syllables for what seems to be a full-name maximum of four. Some of these names seem to have the first letter stand alone as the first syllable, while others seem to share it across the apostrophe.

The Keepers of the Moon use similar-sounding phonemes, but have a simple forename/surname structure and have been seen sporting forenames of one or two syllables and surnames of up to four.

I have no idea the parent language inspiration, though. To some degree it sounds (to me) somewhat south-central Asian, similar to historic languages in India and Pakistan.
    (1)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by redmage View Post
    Really enjoying all these dev posts regarding naming conventions and such! I remember back in XI, you could read those little articles regarding the races and their naming conventions and it was such an interesting and fun read. Definitely looking forward for more info here and to be properly posted on the lodestone. Well done!
    Where are you seeing a post by fern? Can someone link it here?

Edit: Wait a second, this post has been necrobumped all the way to the Hot Topics list from 2011! Shame on you all!
    (1)
    Last edited by Yrusama; 03-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Character
    Rex Xylon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Wow. Super necrobump here huh? XD

I jumped to the OP and read the post, and I was like, "NDA breach 0.o Beta errors!? ...oh wait it's from 2011......"
    (1)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6