Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Tibian Rahm
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 60
    Just name them something less ... 'smash the keyboard to produce letters'.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Chardut Mazzma
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Ohhhhhh, the /sarcasm command was turned ON. Gotcha

But seriously, at a glance, Roegadyn names can oft appear like a amalgam of seemingly random letters, pounded out by a starved monkey chained in front of a thrift store typewriter.

Ah, but that is where you are mistaken! There actually is a pattern!

...Unfortunately, no one has taken the time to properly explain that system to everyone, and for that an apology is owed. I've spoken with the man in charge of the game's lore, and we both agree that a detailed explanation of NPC naming conventions is long overdue. For now, I can give you a quick overview of Roegadyn names, and hopefully in the near future when we get a to a lull in our patch duties, I can put together something more fancy.

Roegadyn names are actually all formed from two words taken from the ancient Roegadyn language that the race's ancestors spoke before they came to Eorzea. For example, Ahldskyf is a combination of Ahld (meaning 'old') and Skyf (meaning ship). Rostnsthal is a combination of Rostn (rusty) and Sthal (steel). Pronunciation of the names can be a bit easier after splitting the name into its two parts: Ahld + skyf (read "ald-skiff").

Roegadyn Last names can appear even more imposing, but in fact, they follow rules similar to the first names. A last name simply takes the father's name and adds either Syn (meaning 'son') or Wyn (meaning 'daughter'). For example, Limsa Lominsa Admiral, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn could be broken down like this:

Merl (sea) + wyb (wife)
    Bloe (blue) + fhis (fish) + wyn (daughter)

In other words, "Sea Wife, daughter of Blue Fish"

You will see the "old language" used in a lot of Sea Wolf names. The Hellsguard, on the other hand, in an attempt to better adapt to Eorzea, sometimes choose to 'translate' their names from the old language, which is why you will, every now and then, see an NPC named Grizzly Gnat or Immodest Mouse.

I know this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I hope it helps. I'll try to provide more details when I can. Maybe we can even release a dictionary of known Old Roegadyn words.
    Why do the Sea Wolves and Hellsguard use the same language and naming conventions if they are from completely different areas/backgrounds?

Also, seeing Grizzly Gnat is really hard to digest, as well as names that seem like random letters. I don't know if you want to change that entirely, but it's just a thought.
    (0)
    Last edited by Platinumstorm; 07-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinumstorm View Post
    Why do the Sea Wolves and Hellsguard use the same language and naming conventions if they are from completely different areas/backgrounds?
    Good question! The Sea Wolf and Hellsguard clans both share common ancestors in the northern islands from which they came. The Sea Wolves tend to adhere to the ancient traditions, customs, and language of those islands while the Hellsguard are more prone to adapt to their surroundings. That said, the lines between the two clans aren't set in stone, and you will find some Hellsguard have chosen to use the Old Language in their names, and some Sea Wolves have given themselves "translated" names.
    (21)

Player
    Character
    Sav Alithos
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lienn View Post
    But back to roes, if lodestone ever add a game codex would be nice having a roe ancient language dictionary. ^^
    *cough* Or!...put one in an in-game library in Ishgard *cough*
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Thanks for the post Ferne! It's nice to know about my races' history as we are so often swept under the rug of importance. ^^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Munba Lunru
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 60
    ...Unfortunately, no one has taken the time to properly explain that system to everyone, and for that an apology is owed. I've spoken with the man in charge of the game's lore, and we both agree that a detailed explanation of NPC naming conventions is long overdue. For now, I can give you a quick overview of Roegadyn names, and hopefully in the near future when we get a to a lull in our patch duties, I can put together something more fancy.
    It's really a pity to not know all these details in some forms. I would love if devs would put this kind of lore in game in the future. Some could be added in particular quests and some could be put in some books and writings you have to find around Eorzea (like in some libraries in the cities/villages or in some lost ancient ruins). And you could collect some of them (rewards or drops) and put it in your personal library -housing stuff- eheh. I think it would be neat to have.
    (i'm an hardcore Lore lover if you didn't notice lol)
    (6)
    Last edited by Munba; 07-27-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Player
    Character
    Excessum Leviathan
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    That is awsome !!!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zavier Mhigo
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    my boyfriend plays as a roegadyn so i was very curious about their lore too, especially the hellsgard. Can't it be past on to the devs that we would like a compendium of in game lore, and more lore about the differences between the clans, and who the clans were when they were just "miqote" or just "roegadyn", can i see a female highlander, i would imagine if men who lived in mountains for generations were bulky and tall, there women would be taller with more muscle mass (lean muscles mass please like tall muscular, but still womanly and skinny women, skinny doesn't matter but you know what i mean).

But if not female highlander, since its a model you have to create, how about the lore codex on the lodestone? Seems easier now huh ^^ see how i did that?
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Jerbird Leone
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhianu View Post
    Can we? I say yes, we can. In fact, I say we need more NPCs with faceroll names! We need to be introduced to Ahldskyf's good friends Siykdju, Dsazrfg, Nbyuhjmik, Asdfghjkl, and Fhwdgads!

And they should all live together in their own little settlement called Yhgtfuj j'Dsaf, located in the zone of Hgfdsx'qarf, near the Mountains of Dsxa z'Arfgehtyj, which can be seen looking north from the highest tower in the Magnificent City of Ewrtghjkm, which is guarded by the Great and Terrible Immortal Dragon known only as Ikjhgfyhgds a'Ertuhyglhio785r.
    LMFAO!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only person who felt the name editor slammed his head into the keyboard and came up with that name! XD

But after reading into Fernehalwes' post, I found the lore and the actual explanation actually much more interesting. Hopefully they add a database/library to read up on more stuff like this in one of the guilds or something. Each city has an NPC explaning the beast tribes, Garleans, and the 5 major races but I feel this should be further exploited to the masses for much more text content for us to read and learn about the world we live in, along with all of its creatures places, and inhabitants.
    (2)
    Last edited by Leonesaurus; 07-27-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aedan Yarborough
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    Ohhhhhh, the /sarcasm command was turned ON. Gotcha

But seriously, at a glance, Roegadyn names can oft appear like a amalgam of seemingly random letters, pounded out by a starved monkey chained in front of a thrift store typewriter.

Ah, but that is where you are mistaken! There actually is a pattern!

Roegadyn names are actually all formed from two words taken from the ancient Roegadyn language that the race's ancestors spoke before they came to Eorzea. For example, Ahldskyf is a combination of Ahld (meaning 'old') and Skyf (meaning ship). Rostnsthal is a combination of Rostn (rusty) and Sthal (steel). Pronunciation of the names can be a bit easier after splitting the name into its two parts: Ahld + skyf (read "ald-skiff").

Roegadyn Last names can appear even more imposing, but in fact, they follow rules similar to the first names. A last name simply takes the father's name and adds either Syn (meaning 'son') or Wyn (meaning 'daughter'). For example, Limsa Lominsa Admiral, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn could be broken down like this:

Merl (sea) + wyb (wife)
    Bloe (blue) + fhis (fish) + wyn (daughter)

In other words, "Sea Wife, daughter of Blue Fish"

You will see the "old language" used in a lot of Sea Wolf names. The Hellsguard, on the other hand, in an attempt to better adapt to Eorzea, sometimes choose to 'translate' their names from the old language, which is why you will, every now and then, see an NPC named Grizzly Gnat or Immodest Mouse.

I know this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I hope it helps. I'll try to provide more details when I can. Maybe we can even release a dictionary of known Old Roegadyn words.
    I love this kind of stuff. We need more! Next I want to know about the Miqo, Elezen, and lala. Please and thank you. ^^

oh and +1 like

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast