Thread: Fluid Aura

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    Well, typically new players don't understand the concepts of partying and enmity and such when they first go into the starter dungeons. If they started out as a healer or other ranged class chances are they don't get how annoying it is when something is out of range since they haven't experienced it, and they may also not realize how important it is for the tank to be able to keep all the enemies under control.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Deneb Algiedi
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    I consider it mostly an utility spell more than anything you would set in a dps rotation. The bind is useful solo, but the most useful use is its knockback.

The knockback is an interupt for most aoe attacks and can be used to prevent damage on tunnel-visioned dps. In more experienced groups, you can use it to position ranged mobs to the tank for speedrun pulls (e.g. launching dzaemel bogeys in to crystal-shielded areas) or to escape aoes (e.g. pushing enemies out of falling crystals/gas aoe in pharos).

The repel and bind/sleep tactic is most often used in solo play, but you can also use it to set aside a specific enemy you don't want to fight if it wonders too close (e.g. garuda ex's spiny plume).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Garnet Gressible
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Good to use on Titan's gaols.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ashkendor Zahirr
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by bdp12 View Post
    The WHM is doing it wrong. If the intent of the fluid aura is to set up a sleep, they need to push the mob away from you so you can continue your rotation without breaking the sleep.
    If you have time to set this up, your tank is obviously not taking so much damage that it's a problem.

All you're doing by shoving mobs out of the group is drawing out the amount of time it takes to clear that pull.

Seriously, Fluid Aura should be a panic button. Leave the mobs with the tanks. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Anova View Post
    The repel and bind/sleep tactic is most often used in solo play, but you can also use it to set aside a specific enemy you don't want to fight if it wonders too close (e.g. garuda ex's spiny plume).
    Er. Please don't push the plume off the OT. Seriously. We have enough trouble trying to keep it away from marauding BRD and BLM without people shoving the damn thing around... :s
    (0)
    Last edited by Ashkendor; 07-04-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sole Source
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkendor View Post
    If you have time to set this up,
    You mean press two buttons?

All you're doing by shoving mobs out of the group is drawing out the amount of time it takes to clear that pull.
    If everyone is geared up then yes, but if I'm healing Haukke Manor and the Paladin tank has a level 10 shield (it happens), then the group will certainly clear more slowly if I have to roll cures. I would much rather sleep a mob and contribute to the dps, so we can get this low level roulette over with.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ashkendor Zahirr
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by bdp12 View Post
    If everyone is geared up then yes, but if I'm healing Haukke Manor and the Paladin tank has a level 10 shield (it happens), then the group will certainly clear more slowly if I have to roll cures. I would much rather sleep a mob and contribute to the dps, so we can get this low level roulette over with.
    I don't have a problem with that. I guess my problem with fluid aura is that most WHM don't seem to know when not to use it. Undergeared tank? Okay, I can give you that. I can totally see it being useful if they aren't already taking such heavy damage that you're reduced to cure spamming. I run an i99 paladin and I've had WHMs do this to me though, which is nothing short of utterly stupid. In that case, you're not helping. You're just removing a mob from my control and pushing it out of the dps area so we all have to chase it.

I don't even necessarily like seeing them use it on mobs that are actually hitting them because more often than not they push it out of range for me to grab aggro on it, so they've only delayed the inevitable. If you're getting hit, the best thing to do is bring me the mob (intelligently of course, don't go standing in a cone aoe or anything) and I'll be happy to take aggro off you. If you die, I die and I like to prevent as much of that as possible.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jay Love
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I use Fluid Aura for 3 purposes. If I'm soloing I use it as a finisher or if I get aggro. I use it in DF only if I got aggro and I want to push it back toward the tank. I also use if I'm kiting. Other than that I don't use Fluid Aura to DPS..WHMs should only be using Aero and Stone 1 to DPS, unless you are soloing or in a good group.... mana conservation ppl!! A little bit off subject but does anyone else use Shadowbind on BRD when a mob is headed toward the healer? I try all the time but never seen it happen when I'm healing...
    (0)
    Last edited by Rombus; 07-04-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sole Source
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I run an i99 paladin.
    Can I do my roulettes with you then? I will take fluid aura off my hotbar, I promise.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alistair Adfectus
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    I usually only use it on mobs I know won't get tossed back, like the big ones and bosses.

On bosses I use this single target roation

Aero II->Aero->Swiftcast->Holy->Fluid Aura->Stone II spam until Aeros need to be put up again, then skipping SC+Holy until it's up again.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sole Source
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I don't even necessarily like seeing them use it on mobs that are actually hitting them because more often than not they push it out of range for me to grab aggro on it, so they've only delayed the inevitable. If you're getting hit, the best thing to do is bring me the mob (intelligently of course, don't go standing in a cone aoe or anything) and I'll be happy to take aggro off you. If you die, I die and I like to prevent as much of that as possible.
    I understand this. I've just been burned so many times by tanks who don't try to get back (or can't) regain enmity that the casting of fluid aura is almost Pavlovian. If a tank tells me to knock it off, I will.
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast