Player
    Character
    Ami Kaede
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

The Novus Grind

(I don't know if this is in the correct place, if it isn't i'm sure a moderator will move it)

So I started my Novus grind a week ago. Everything was going good just doing the daily to get the Alexanderite and just giving up 800 myth when I had it from doing the Roulette's. Until today, was doing a map that i had just given up 800 myth for only to die to a stupid one shot mechanic because i went as SCH and not DPS.

My thought was "Go as SCH, like I have been doing get Selene to Heal me and buff me and I'll DPS the mob, might take me down to the last 10 seconds but I'll do it." So off i went found my Treasure chest summoned the Enemy and got that Golem that summons the Bombs. I killed nearly all the bombs and then instadeath cause they blew up which i didn't know would happen cause I've not had that one before. So i re-spawned and said "Well ill just do it again" NOPE no I wont the map is lost forever because i died to some stupid instakill mechanic. So I essentially paid 800 myth to go and die and respawn again.

Why have a mechanic like that on something which is lost once dead?

I feel like the game is going down a route which every MMO goes down, Farm this X times to get this item to go here to farm this X times.

Why cant it be like the original Relic quest, You kill X monster and obtain a guaranteed item drop then your one step closer to your new relic.

Then you can either chose to have a better weapon or shield or upgrade your gear, Which will you chose.

But no, now its go farm 12 Atma which is RNG heavy, then go farm 1500 myth to then have to kill 100 random enemies, camp this fate, Which may or may not take a day for it to spawn ect. The Daily is good means you can get 1 map a day, but if you die then you lose it, which IMO is bad as what about players, Me, die because of some oneshot mechanic because of an unlucky turn of events.

~ Just 1 more Tick of DMG from Miasma II and I wouldn't have died.
    (18)

Player
    Character
    Deus Flac
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I like it!

More insta-kill mechanics!
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Gormogon Maxwell
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    Because artificial difficulty is the new rage in gaming.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Evercy Warclan
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    You can always find a few friends to help you out. The recommended # of people is 1 but that doesn't mean only 1 person can perform the map

Not going for Novus but I'm liking what I'm hearing about these maps, it's very interesting
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Rori Uguu
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 70
    You really should get a buddy to help you with maps and also help other buddies if you can, 2 people and just one choco are all you need for them. I agree though, relic quests need to be less repetitive grindy single steps and overall more steps that don't feature token RNG grinds. Gimme 20 or more unique steps with multiple 8 man party fights, some single dungeons runs and what not, a real journey to forge a weapon, now that's real long lasting content instead of a boring and lazily designed grind, regardless of which part of the playerbase that grind is aimed at.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Vizzer Mcshiggs
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70
    If you want the kill X monster an item will drop, go kill primals or do coil, this is another option with a different approach. If you can't solo a map, either get people to help, or learn to pay attention and stay alive. There are options, just because you choose to ignore them, doesn't mean they aren't there.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lunar Emerald
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    If you set your home to the same zone then you can retry if you die. But the enemy's HP resets and the timer is still ticking.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Eros Maxima
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ami_Kaede View Post
    I feel like the game is going down a route which every MMO goes down, Farm this X times to get this item to go here to farm this X times.
    I have to ask, what exactly is your idea of an "MMORPG"? This is a core part of the genre, even going as far to say a core part of traditional RPGs in general. RPGs, even from the D&D board games era, all relied on what we now call RNG. It's a part of the genre itself that will never go away, similar to how being in first-person for an FPS will never go away. If you want guarantees (and to avoid the grind aspect entirely), RPGs are generally not your go-to genre... just saying.

The insta-kill mechanics are a bit underhanded, but that's sort of the gamble you take when doing things solo without prior knowledge. Again, this is an MMORPG, and no one should overlook the fact that there very well may be mechanics that promote group play, though solo may still be an option with great care. Especially when it's content related to obtaining an endgame item.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Erila Misra
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Please ' Original Relic ' as i remember it that was back in the Old Version.
    And that had harder Grinds. Also, the Quest didn't tell you to go alone?

Im mean i'm not for oneshot mechanics, i hate them.
    However every boss battle with unforgiving mechanics is no fun to me.

But your not forced to go solo for the map or anything.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nyaano Nohea
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    Looking at your lodestone profile, you're geared enough, so the question becomes if you were slow in seeing the adds (which you get an onscreen warning about) or just had a bad dps rotation.

Please note that you get a warning that the map will disappear when you open the chest, and just like regular treasure maps, the chest will disappear if you leave the zone for any reason after it has been opened to spawn mobs.
    (1)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast