Player
    Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Darra View Post
    Ah, thank you for informing me of my thinking, even though it's not what you're telling me it is. Just because you're successful with being sociable, doesn't mean everyone is. Just because you've got the confidence to make and lead a raid group when you can't find an existing one with a spot for you, doesn't mean everyone is. Your entire argument is that the game design is "fine because I can do it" and that "if players can't it's their own fault". My argument is that the game lacks options, it's repeating the same old crap and it wouldn't hurt to cater to more players and give players a little of something else other than a memory game. I'm also glad that there's going to be 2 modes of Alexander, and that we can challenge content with fewer than the recommended number or players, but it still doesn't encourage people to "socialize" in groups bigger than 8. 8 is a pretty small number for an MMO wouldn't you agree?
    Yes they already said they putting in 2 Alexander raids. The normal mode they said is CT like lockout so you can keep queuing up to get the piece of gear you want. Savage on the other hand is like the same as coil lockout was.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Evangeline Lafontaine
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Darra View Post
    Ah, thank you for informing me of my thinking, even though it's not what you're telling me it is.
    In fairness, that sounded like a general statement. I can't be sure of intent, but my suspicion is that that wasn't meant to tell you how you think.

Just because you're successful with being sociable, doesn't mean everyone is. Just because you've got the confidence to make and lead a raid group when you can't find an existing one with a spot for you, doesn't mean everyone is. Your entire argument is that the game design is "fine because I can do it" and that "if players can't it's their own fault".
    I feel you on this. I took it more as a 'you get back what you put in'. Endgame in pretty much every MMO requires you to pound the (virtual) pavement a bit (or a lot) and not every FC is as flexible as Sapphic's is, but they do exist. As she said, she went through three before finding it. Without a good FC or linkshell, you pretty much are out in the cold.

My argument is that the game lacks options, it's repeating the same old crap and it wouldn't hurt to cater to more players and give players a little of something else other than a memory game. I'm also glad that there's going to be 2 modes of Alexander, and that we can challenge content with fewer than the recommended number or players, but it still doesn't encourage people to "socialize" in groups bigger than 8. 8 is a pretty small number for an MMO wouldn't you agree?
    It's around the sweet spot for endgame raiding. Organizing large groups of players is really really hard. My old FC had a hard time keeping its 8 person statics together, imagine having to fill a 24 person non alliance raid.
    (0)

Character
    Holly White
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 66
    I still disagree with everything that massive wall of text has to say.

I don't like being able to face roll everything the game has to offer only because I have the gear for it.

One shot mechanics are a way to keep things in balence and the mechanics make every fight feel different. Not just another tank and spank dungeon. Gear also does help alot in the way of allowing you to take on more challenging content, which is how it should be. Try doing T13 with less then 6k hp and tell me it's just as easy as if you had more. Hell you even have to gear up just to meet the accuracy required to hit the damn thing, let alone kill it in time. And the team jump rope is part of the fun. If your not doing it with 7 complete strangers it actually is fun.
    (8)
    Last edited by o3o; 04-21-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zohar Lahar
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryaani View Post
    In fairness, that sounded like a general statement. I can't be sure of intent, but my suspicion is that that wasn't meant to tell you how you think.
    I understand his concerns. Past experience with FFXI showed me that "raiding community" is often controlling and manipulative (while not actually caring about the storyline).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Evangeline Lafontaine
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Zohar_Lahar View Post
    I understand his concerns. Past experience with FFXI showed me that "raiding community" is often controlling and manipulative (while not actually caring about the storyline).
    Maybe, and I have no doubt that he's reading this through a different lens than I am, but I didn't see that in the post. I do this too when I'm too close to an argument. Everything is read with a tone that may not be there. I've had to retract or edit on a re-read because of it. He may be right and there's a tone there, but I'm not hearing it.
    (0)
    Insanity is a gradual process, don't rush it - Ford Prefect

Player
    Character
    Sileas Goode
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 51
    Quote Originally Posted by o3o View Post
    I still disagree with everything that massive wall of text has to say.

I don't like being able to face roll everything the game has to offer only because I have the gear for it.

One shot mechanics are a way to keep things in balence and the mechanics make every fight feel different. Not just another tank and spank dungeon. Gear also does help alot. Try doing T13 with less then 6k hp and tell me it's just as easy as if you had more. He'll you even have to gear up just to meet the accuracy required to hit the damn thing, let alone kill it in time. It let's you be able to take on more content. And the team jump rope is part of the fun. If your not doing with 7 complete strangers it actually is fun.
    What's amusing is that he uses T4 as a prime example of a 'great' fight. The whole thing is nothing but tank and spank adds with very basic rules: feed the bugs early or not at all and dont get hit by the rooks. Also eyeroll worthy is when someone claims that gear doesnt matter in coil and you only need the minimum to enter and getting better gear wouldnt really change a thing.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sapphic Meow
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zohar_Lahar View Post
    My main drive for FCoB was to see the story, after clearing turn 12 the first time none of us cared about the loot until we had all watched the story unfold. Also, contrary to belief, most raiders are more patient than many who do not raid. As you have to be patient whilst running progression, it's a necessary talent XD Otherwise you would just explode from all the wipes from learning the fight.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Flo Fyloord
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardes View Post
    What's amusing is that he uses T4 as a prime example of a 'great' fight. The whole thing is nothing but tank and spank adds with very basic rules: feed the bugs early or not at all and dont get hit by the rooks. Also eyeroll worthy is when someone claims that gear doesnt matter in coil and you only need the minimum to enter and getting better gear wouldnt really change a thing.
    T4, when it was current content (no echo), would be an example of a good fight. You needed people who knew how to perform their roles (snap aggro, know how to dps, mp management). Now its an utter faceroll when you outgear it by 30 ilvls AND a 20% echo. Same with T1 and 2.

For SCoB, gear really didn't help at all and neither would have echo if they didn't make changes to the mechanics. No amount of hp would've saved you from getting smacked by a Renaud or a bad shriek. When you design a fight like that, it becomes hard to make it easier naturally without changing its mechanics.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Garett Jax
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    I agree on a lot of points made by the OP. However for me FFXIV still is a better mix of casual/hardcore content compared to FFXI. I played FFXI for only a month and did not look back because of time contraint. FFXIV made me come back twice and am itching for the expansion. That said some of the mechanics like the flexible party size can be implemented to FFXIV
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thanatos Ravensweald
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    I want more content and bosses/even mobs that are more "Dark Souls" series style, where you have to do a bit more then tank and spank them. Doing cool moves and avoiding some and taking others, not watching the ground. Not being able to really predict where the boss is going to be.

You should always be watching the bosses and what they are going to do, not the ground. This would make fights more dynamic, also remove the "ground plates" that tell you where not to be.

Make the fight more random as well, not as predictable and not the same fight every time. The boss should destroy parts of the environment which change the fight depending on what he destroys. Maybe he has a giant hammer and when he swings it every so often it destroys the ground?
    (1)
    Last edited by Nektulos-Tuor; 04-21-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127