Character
    Zebyxus Starshadow
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90

Southern Hemisphere lag issues

Hi Devs,

Tonight I ran a Titan EX for the first time, only to find that my latency was stuck at s:0 r:2800+ for a majority of each attempt, and by this point I was already dead.

After discussing it with the party (who were wondering why I kept getting hit with all five weights of the earth despite my best efforts) it came out that there is an issue with ALL Australians and players in the southern hemisphere in regards to lag. It was further discussed that this issue has existed since 2.1, which sounds to me like a problem intentionally left alone.

Is this true, and more importantly, what is being done to ease it? I know lag is an issue for all real-time online games, but this is way beyond a joke.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kram Isaw
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebyxus View Post
    Hi Devs,

Tonight I ran a Titan EX for the first time, only to find that my latency was stuck at s:0 r:2800+ for a majority of each attempt, and by this point I was already dead.

After discussing it with the party (who were wondering why I kept getting hit with all five weights of the earth despite my best efforts) it came out that there is an issue with ALL Australians and players in the southern hemisphere in regards to lag. It was further discussed that this issue has existed since 2.1, which sounds to me like a problem intentionally left alone.

Is this true, and more importantly, what is being done to ease it? I know lag is an issue for all real-time online games, but this is way beyond a joke.
    Wow I can't believe this problem exists since 2.1
    Also have the same problem now, I didn't experienced this problem before. My problem started 1st week of August until now. Last June-July my connection was very good, but now wtf!

And FYI I already contacted SE and they said "go to portforward.com" to solve the issue.
    BEFORE I don't need to forward ports to play smoothly. But now, why?
    By the way, you need to pay for this portforward.com thing

The problem now is I don't have access to our routers because it is a restricted area in our compound.
    (0)
    Last edited by kram; 08-27-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kaya Yuuna
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    Nonsense

check your latency with proper tools, mine sits between 200 and 320 for the most part and lag is only an issue occasionally.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Raist Soulforge
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    those numbers aren't your latency, that's bytes sent/received.

TATA was having issues the last couple days... as such my ISP has switched me to going through Atlanta for a while, putting me on Cogent lines to get me across the US and into Canada. It's much cleaner now. Level 3 has been having issues lately too. All three of them have hiccups off and on, making it a moving target. But if you work with your ISP, they can help reduce the impact considerably, at times even skirt around it for a few weeks at a time.

It's an ongoing issue with the ISP's in the US. Peering/transit agreements are just not set up to efficiently manage the congestion. You need to collect data on your route (tracert and such) and forward the samples to your ISP's tier3 people so they can escalate the matter to people that can address your routing issues.

This can and DOES work if the issue is in fact in between you and Ormuco (SE's ISP). Been doing it since Beta4. My routing changes on average every 3 weeks trying to stay ahead of the curve. The only time I've been denied access was during server level outages that SE publicly announced and addressed. Otherwise, there have been the high queue times at login (because too many people getting on at once, but haven't seen that in MONTHS), or the random short-term disconnects caused by issues in route. Such disconnects typically resolve quickly. Often just need to log back in a few minutes later (mostly I just log back in once the server logs me out, but sometimes my modem reboots on it's own or I have to contact Tier3 support about it, then reboot).
    (0)
    Last edited by Raist; 08-28-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kaya Yuuna
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    In my case atleast, what i posted was my latency (as reported by Resource monitor)

Op, watch the boss skill bar, not the AOE markers.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jaykos Molkot
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 71

Solution? Play wow, they care about their paying customers from AU/NZ
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zebyxus Starshadow
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Well I had thought this post to be lost with everyone else's concerns, but I guess not.

@ Squa11_Leonhart: I highly doubt that anyone is going to stop mid-fight to check their latency with ping tests or other diagnostic tools they may have, whether out of concern of further taxing their system or worry that they might not be completely ready for everything to catch up when/if it does (and not just boot). Boss skill bars fly past, I barely notice them before reacting. This may just be an issue with systems and compatibility, but that's a completely different conversation.

@ Raist: Cheers for that, not sure what to make of it, but I'm sure SE's brains trust will put that info to good use.

@ Jaykos: I do play WoW, the difference in latency ratings was phenomenal when Blizz opened up servers in Sydney
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zebyxus Starshadow
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Further info: I am now getting random times where my Send and Receive ratings are stuck at 0 for periods of time, and these periods result in one of two outcomes, either I have to wait another three or so minutes while the system I'm on (PS4 or PC) has a minor stroke trying to process the mass of incoming data (Receive rate has peaked at over 20k in one of the most recent episodes), or I am simply slapped with a 90K disconnection error, most likely leading to a 2002 Lobby Server Error requiring a full re-log.

I am currently also speaking with my ISP to ensure they aren't accidentally throttling my connection due to a false categorisation of the game client as P2P software

As I said before, lag is a constant issue, but when it begins to impact on a player's ability to do end game content (EX Primals, Coil) it becomes a problem in dire need of addressing. Any advice or tips not already covered would be greatly appreciated. (Yes, I'm expecting you, trolls)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaya Yuuna
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebyxus View Post
    @ Squa11_Leonhart: I highly doubt that anyone is going to stop mid-fight to check their latency with ping tests or other diagnostic tools they may have, whether out of concern of further taxing their system or worry that they might not be completely ready for everything to catch up when/if it does (and not just boot). Boss skill bars fly past, I barely notice them before reacting. This may just be an issue with systems and compatibility, but that's a completely different conversation
    I do quite often if i notice things not being instant.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Akary Kanzaki
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykos View Post

Solution? Play wow, they care about their paying customers from AU/NZ
    Yeah if playing by yourself is fun.
    (0)