Player
    Character
    Felendis Vreer
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Viviza View Post
    As the BLM, and I assume the more experienced between you two, I think you're more in the wrong in this matter.

Asking something unexpected shouldn't draw immediate indignation and refusal. Asking a DPS to mark is rare, but it is certainly something you are able to do.
    I have to agree. He doesn't sound like a great tank but honestly, Stone Vigil is one of the few (only?) dungeons with frequent and powerful patrols that can easily wipe your party. It requires high awareness and is quite stressful on tanks/healers.

Also, DPS marking is not even that unusual. I will frequently as a DPS mark high priority targets if the tank doesn't do so, and I won't hold it against that tank because it's everyone's job to make a run as smooth as possible. Nothing but common practice dictates that marking is the tanks job and if you are sleeping targets the priority is on you to mark what you slept so no one else touches it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sil Ellessa
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    The healer in my FC I usually run with has a macro on his repose that places the ignore mark on the target so I guess I'm just used to it and don't see much of an issue with it. We found it useful in early dungeons but we never really use it anymore. It's just quicker to burn everything down. As a tank I'd rather have the healer concentrate on healing lol. The only exception being that when we speed run Bray HM with a scholar we've gotten in the habit of group sleeping the last mob before the first boss to lock them out rather than the typical pull.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Evercy Warclan
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    I've played BLM in SV before with new tanks and the only times I ever felt the need to use sleep were on Ice Sprites. CC feels so unnecessary in most scenarios, even if the tank is new/slightly under geared, as long as the healer's on the ball and the tank understands the concept of holding agro
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Viviza Viza
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by NintenPyjak64 View Post
    I've played BLM in SV before with new tanks and the only times I ever felt the need to use sleep were on Ice Sprites. CC feels so unnecessary in most scenarios, even if the tank is new/slightly under geared, as long as the healer's on the ball and the tank understands the concept of holding agro
    But this is relative. When you run low level dungeons you are going to get tanks who are woefully unprepared in both gear and experience. And that's the point - these dungeons are designed to give this gear and experience. These tanks are in a learning process in more ways than one, and any efforts to make their job less stressful offers a great relief. Being a tank when tanking is not going well is rough, and doubly so when the group has 50s who really just want a speed run.

I would argue that as more experienced players we have an obligation help these players out. We should be offering advice, using control, and being careful, even if these are not "optimal" ways to run through a dungeon.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Not really necessary for the BLM to mark. At that level the BLM sleep is AOE. Tank and others just need to not wake up any adds you aren't dealing with at the moment.

The tank should be marking what he wants you attacking while politely asking you to sleep everything else.
    (0)

6. 04-24-2014 02:21 AM

Player
    Character
    Krixus Blade
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    The whole purpose on marking is so the dps attack the same mob, not only killing faster but it's also the one the tank probably engaged first and will have the most hate built.

Asking the BLM to do this sounds like he was just bad. Sleeping being aoe doesn't make much sense for you to mark for that either
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Outside of gating mobs outside of a boss room, crowd control is for wusses.

REAL tanks tell their BLM to pop Raging Strikes AoE the shit out of everything, to which the BLM obliges. And the WHM joins in.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    C'mell Cordwainer
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    As a Paladin, I generally only take the time in the initial draw to mark 1, just before I shield lob. Then, in my second combo, I'll mark 2 as I savage blade the second target. If there are a bunch, I go on that way, but usually there are only 3 or 4, and by that time, everyone's got the rhythm down, anyway.

But I also take the time to look before I hit something, to see whether someone has slept it or not. I've been seeing more magi using sleep of one sort or another as crowd control, lately, and I have to say that I appreciate it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kitru Kitera
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by bokchoykn View Post
    Outside of gating mobs outside of a boss room, crowd control is for wusses.

REAL tanks tell their BLM to pop Raging Strikes AoE the shit out of everything, to which the BLM obliges. And the WHM joins in.
    Which obviously means that WARs are the only real tanks. Flash spam ain't gonna cut it on BLM Flare chaining, but SC and Overpower are more than enough. :3
    (2)

Sounds pretty handy to mark sleeped targets if you have issues with people waking them. I would want to make sure the tank is ok with it though if not purely to make sure you have it understood who is using what marks for what type of marking so that there are no duplicates on the wrong mobs.
    (0)

Strix: "Behold this collection of grimoires of legend! Feel their power and puissance, and let it fill you with rapturous pleasure...then DIE!"

<>.<>.<>
    Hai! I'm Vahl, in ur mmorpgs, sort'n my inventory and putt'n 2 many H's in my name since FFXI..
    FFXIV Inventory Tetris Champ

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast