Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Leo Desol
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50

Tips and Good Information for New and Returning Players?

I recently logged into FFXIV for the first time in months, probably 6 months or more.

There have been a lot of tweaks and changes to the game in that time. It is still similar at the core, but there are new quest, new NMs, new ways to level efficiently, etc.

I know 1.18 will change a lot more in the coming days, as will the patches that follow it. I have a feeling that some of this new content will bring more people, like myself, back to try the game again, especially while it remains free to play. I doubt there will be a major population explosion without either a major marketing campaign by SE, the release of the PS3 version, or a combination of both of those. However, a lot of the curious original players may reinstall, a lot of FFXI players may try it again, etc.

With this, it would be great to get some tips/info from people who have continued to play during all the updates. There is still a lot of info online on FFXIV websites, but some of it is dated, and much of the best info is hard to find, especially little tips and tricks. Can FFXIV vets share suggestions with those of us returning after a long break?

Some questions/examples:

I watched some FFXIV videos on the new lower level NMs. It seemed like the groups where still ignoring battle regimens. Is it still pretty common to just ignore these in a party or do players need to know them and have a macro for them? Any tips on using them effectively?

The economy seems to have changed a lot. The improvements to searching market wards are nice and all, but it is still very cumbersome. Is YG still the best resource for learning about recipes, prices, etc?

I hear the stats and their use has been tweaked. Any tips on how to allocate status points for DoW, DoH, DoM? I am especially interested in how people who play multiple roles on any given day, craft, melee, and magic users, are spreading their points out?

Is owning multiple sets of gear the way to go now? i.e. If I switch from 23 MRD to 10 LNC, should I also make sure to have the lower level gear? I know level 10 is still pretty easy so I do not need to spend a fortune on having all the best items, but it is nice to know what people are doing when they switch from a level 50 class to a level 25 class, etc. Back when I left, the majority of the player base seemed to just stay in their high level equipment.
    (0)

Player
    1) Battle regimens are a joke now due to only 8 people being in a party. They shined when you had 15 people and 8 solid dps could stack to hit 2-3k Quick Knocks and Chaos Thrusts on the 8th slot. They are also being removed completely soon.

2) If you want the most accurate prices check the wards. YG for recipes is still good but almost all of the recipes in the game are being changed in 1.19. The Economy is super inflated due to no gil sinks but it's extremely easy to make gil so it shouldn't bother you too much.

3) Stats have not yet been redone. Look for that in 1.19.

4) I own 1 set of gear for each class atm that play off that classes strengths. Stats are still broken and there isn't enough content for multiple/different sets to matter at the moment. You should always stick with the "optimal" gear closest to your level because the further you are away from that optimization, the faster your gear will degrade.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eisen Marduk
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    I can only really comment on Battle Regimens, so I'll start there.

Battle Regimens are very effective. Time was that I'd go eft hunting in The Black Shroud with my LS mates, I told them about BRs and how to use them, and the gains we saw in DMG output as well as enfeebles to mobs pretty much ensured that we wouldn't party without using them constantly.

Problem is that people don't want to give them a shot, since they were pretty messed up when the game first released, and most people don't know how to use them(which is insanely easy, by the way). As of yet, the battle director for the game has stated that he won't be tackling battle regimens just yet, so as a new player, your best bet is to "preach the word" so to speak on the use of battle regimens.

Aside from that, we know that Yoshida is looking into implementing better tutorials and even tutorial dungeons(I think that's what I read) for rank 10 - 18.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakhim View Post
    I can only really comment on Battle Regimens, so I'll start there.

Battle Regimens are very effective. Time was that I'd go eft hunting in The Black Shroud with my LS mates, I told them about BRs and how to use them, and the gains we saw in DMG output as well as enfeebles to mobs pretty much ensured that we wouldn't party without using them constantly.
    Regimen of Ruin (Physical Defense Down) gives you 5-10 extra points of damage per hit but you lose out on 5-10 seconds of DPS time adding it to the mob each time it wears off. If you could get that 2-3k spike damage at the end of your Regimen of Ruin > x8 staggered weaponskills still it would be more widely used. Alas those days are gone and so will BR in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakhim View Post
    Problem is that people don't want to give them a shot, since they were pretty messed up when the game first released, and most people don't know how to use them(which is insanely easy, by the way). As of yet, the battle director for the game has stated that he won't be tackling battle regimens just yet, so as a new player, your best bet is to "preach the word" so to speak on the use of battle regimens.
    Also wrong. BRs worked perfectly fine for the implementation of the December NM patch and beyond until they reduced party size down to 8. Linkshells that knew the game mechanics and how they worked used them heavily.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Misa Gasai
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Hmm, totally agree with Richards points. Only battle regimens are still very effective, duo-ing with BRs can easily double the damage you do and as Malakhim said you can enfeeble the mobs with them also.

Just need to look up the different BR combinations online as the in-game tuts .. well er, is there any in game tuts on BRs? lol
    (0)

Player

Since I also recently returned to the game, how do I level up most efficiently at 30+?

Also, 1/1 Eternal shade boooooooiiiii. Dunno if it has a super high drop rate but that NM took a while to take down at rank 30 PUG.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demacia View Post
    Since I also recently returned to the game, how do I level up most efficiently at 30+?

Also, 1/1 Eternal shade boooooooiiiii. Dunno if it has a super high drop rate but that NM took a while to take down at rank 30 PUG.
    currently it has been spamming R40 leves at Nophica/Broken Water but they are changing that in 3 days. You'll have to wait and see what they give us to do.
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    currently it has been spamming R40 leves at Nophica/Broken Water but they are changing that in 3 days. You'll have to wait and see what they give us to do.
    Ah I see. I hope people start grinding FFXI style or something because levequesting as a main source of exp is pretty damn lame if you ask me.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demacia View Post
    Ah I see. I hope people start grinding FFXI style or something because levequesting as a main source of exp is pretty damn lame if you ask me.
    Yeah they are making it not the main form anymore and more solo based.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zirnuwil Wyznlorhsyn
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 50
    Best tip: Avoid the forums
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast