Player
    Character
    Esk N'tania
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacen View Post
    Let's take a step back for a moment and look what happens if we implemented your thoughts and ideas, which others surely share

As I see it, a short bow has a delay of about 3.5s, and a long bow about 4.1s...you want to implement a ranged AA? ok. Then that means "Light Shot" is out of the picture, or perhaps given a delay like other classes, 30s. Btw, "Light Shot" currently has a cool down of about 2-3s and generates a healthy amount of TP, I can say after 2 shots I can already initiate a TP skill.

But what happens now? A ranged AA with a higher delay than "Light Shot" (which you can already activate anyway), and you want it to have a lower TP generation? Aren't you going a little backwards here? What if THAT misses, and more than once? Suddenly, ARC and their Ranged AA have even less control than they have now, and you'll feel even more useless...not to mention that'll open up a whole new can of complaints, wouldn't you agree?

And yet, even if "Light Shot" or other Ranged AAs were still reduced with their cool down timers to compliment the low TP generation, we would be back right where we started (but w/o the stamina bar) and once again, people would be so focused on their non-tp based attacks, that they would suffer with spam keys and therefore be able to focus less (which was just fixed). Now, include a ranged AA in the mix, and it'll be a drastically OP situation (which was just fixed as well)

A lot of people are missing the bigger picture, yes a melee AA is pretty useless for ARC, but any sort of AA for ARC is not needed. Think of it as a different play style from the rest of the classes that they are trying to implement. If I play a certain class, I want to feel like I'm playing that class and not merely a melting pot of other classes which pre 1.18 really felt like, don't you agree?

So no, you are not forced to do anything, especially make ARC act like unarmed melee. You just feel you must act this way since they implemented it.

Solution:

/eaction 1 "Light Shot"
    /eaction 2 "Close Shot"

And you'll appreciate you have a 2-3s cooldown with healthy TP generation as opposed to a 3.5s - 4.1s ranged AA delay that could miss just as likely anyway. Now please tell me which would be more frustrating when it misses.

I never actually said to add a Ranged Auto attack with/without lower TP generation or actually to add one at all.
    What I did say was to remove it totally from the class as I would agree for all 3 classes its pointless, unless it was ranged.
    And to Re-evaluate the cool downs on rangers attacks along with TP generation as a reduction on light/close shot cool down (i'm only talking 0.5-1s probably) would mean its TP generation would be to great Vs its cool down.

Your point in not having AA is partly correct though, and what ever approach that is taken will not make everyone happy.
    But I will stand on that a melee AA on a ranged class is pointless, and bad design in some respects.

What I was actually pointing out that when you build a class you would include the use of and auto attack in the calculations of the potential DPS and TP generation of any class.
    So unless SE did take that into account in the intended DPS workings.
    Then anyone playing at range and not using the Auto attack is gimped by those standards.
    And Close/light shot share a cool down, so firing one then the other makes no difference.

So to End,
    I have No issue with archer atm with its lack of ranged auto attack.
    I have an issue with it having a melee on base on what I have said above.

I do not want a Range Auto Attack adding to the class myself.
    I would by choice have it removed and have the devs re calculate the DPS/TPG/cool downs of the class based on not having it at all.
    (0)

Player

I apologize, I mis-interpreted it when you said:

Drop AA on con/thm/arc.
    As "drop it on them" kind of thing which led me to believe you wanted the ranged AA with low TP generation + lowered CDs.

And to that end, AA is here whether we like it or not, and not everyone will like it of course. But having said that, it's the way FFXI was (where Rangers had a dual wield trait to AA with close range if necessary), and it's the way FFXIV is going to be. I'm sure we'll see changes in the near future that make AA more reliable as opposed to the way it is now.

But I think for now, they just wanted to implement it in some form, and that's the solution ARC got.

I originally posted in this thread because everyone wants everything now, and are giving up all hope for this game based off of one patch that's been out for a few days haha.

But I digress, your ideas are already in motion I believe, seeing as how they don't have an AA (minus melee range) but again, ARC was just slapped with a melee AA because nothing has been done to compliment it's AA yet, it's only integrated into the FFXIV system.

So saying ARC has an AA or not is irrelevant because cool downs and TPG have already been re-calculated, and DPS has already been modified based off of this system.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dacen; 07-24-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Player
    Character
    Esk N'tania
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Ah I see, I could have worded that better I'll admit.

My only intent in posting was to point out a possible flaw if the AA has been used by SE in its calculations and position archers place in the DPS line accordingly and only they will know if it has.

Maybe the shorter timer/damage/TPG on Light/Close shot is actually already set this way to compensate for not being in rage of the mob for the use of AA.
    But that again would be an issue for players using the Auto attack Vs those not in the overall damage and so on, but ive not sat and done numbers and doubt i will (far to old to care these days),
    But again range modifiers on skill damage could easily be used (or have been) to compensate for that and balance it, or they could be planing on a limited melee skill set agreed we don't know atm.

The rest is just my position on AA, and being in the minority thinking its a lazy tool for easier boting changes nothing, as I know it is here as the more vocal majority want it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Esk; 07-24-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Player
    Character
    Rygart Sawamura
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Why people being a Archer o.o;? If they want to get close to mob and doing AA or having AA from far away!? I just don't understand here sorry...... I still attack really fast with Lightshot + heavy shot + Multishot and doing awsome damage....
    (0)

Make no mistake. I'm not you alliances. I'm here cause I just do what I felt is right thing to do.

Player

got myself in trouble last night with the punching. In dungeon, mages slept a group of mobs. I had one targeted that was right next to me, and because I 'activated' my action bar by trying to cure myself it also activated my auto attack and I punched and woke up the mob.

I gotta get use to this
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kyra Narese
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Id rather not have any autoattack on archer at all, its fine as it is. I dont even want the bare fist autoattack its pointless.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Souma Kisa
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Indeed, I have played other games, and yes I understand that ranged AA can work...with those games. This isn't "other games" this is FFXIV. Just as the mechanics for this game vary to the other games, as does the behaviour and skill sets of classes.

You are telling me to play other games before bashing ranged AA, I was never bashing ranged AA. As a matter of fact, if there was any bashing, it's to the reaction of others on this forum. I was simply stating that ranged AA would not work in this game.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work for this game. This isn't a turn-based RPG, nor is it a fast-paced arcade-style RPG; both of which could afford gameplay without auto attack. This is a slow-paced game with absolutely no negative effects should ranged AA be added.

And yes, I have played other games with ranged AA. Perhaps you are a WoW player who decided to try this game? It's because I have played other games with ranged AA that it makes sense to me that perhaps it would not work in this game as it did not happen with FFXI either.

You are comparing apples to oranges mi'lady. Don't seek to turn approval for ranged AA based off of experiences from other games. Doing so would only mean you want to implement other MMOs into this one, and therefore, turn this into a melting pot of other MMOs as opposed to keeping it FFXIV.
    I played FFXI when it was released and was probably one of the most hardcore players in that game. It didn't have ranged AA, but that doesn't mean it wasn't needed. There was a reason Rangers macro'd /ra. It was to simulate a ranged AA because they weren't provided one. I don't know any Ranger who enjoyed having to /ra to have an AA-like effect (though limited due to small quiver sizes). You can't say it wouldn't work in FFXI just because the game didn't have it, because the players sure felt the need for it.

The only reason why ranged AA won't work for this game is because it's implemented really badly. It should be a toggle bound to a hotkey instead of continuous due to the large amount of break-on-hit CC. But even then, it's easy enough to detarget a CC'd mob before an AA goes off.
    (0)
    Last edited by Capita; 07-26-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz -- GTX 780 Ti SLI

3102 Survivor

Player
    Character
    Baelari Khalahko
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Ranged auto-attack would be a nightmare. Picture this scenario: you have a group of mobs slept, and you need to tab through them to engage the red one. If auto-attack were ranged, you would be uncontrollably shooting arrows into a sleeping crowd of yellow mobs. Also this: when pulling a mob back to the group, do you sit in arrow range with your target selected while waiting on mages to get mp/heal someone/come back from being afk? Ranged auto-attack would prevent you from doing this. I definitely prefer not uncontrollably attacking everything I accidentally target.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Souma Kisa
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelari View Post
    Ranged auto-attack would be a nightmare. Picture this scenario: you have a group of mobs slept, and you need to tab through them to engage the red one. If auto-attack were ranged, you would be uncontrollably shooting arrows into a sleeping crowd of yellow mobs. Also this: when pulling a mob back to the group, do you sit in arrow range with your target selected while waiting on mages to get mp/heal someone/come back from being afk? Ranged auto-attack would prevent you from doing this. I definitely prefer not uncontrollably attacking everything I accidentally target.
    You never played a game that allowed AA to be toggled on and off?

It's honestly not rocket science to figure out a working AA system.
    (0)
    i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz -- GTX 780 Ti SLI

3102 Survivor

Player
    Character
    Shyd Etine
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    1.18 is ok with me!
    (0)