Page 525 of 618 FirstFirst ... 25 425 475 515 523 524 525 526 527 535 575 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 6180
    Player
    Character
    Yuki Ynagi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
    No, he is talking about animations that are used to blend different movements making them seamless. Them missing is the reason why there are no transitions between running/jumping/standing atm.
    And this should calm down the fix animation meme

Nah, i'm working with imagination
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jouten Asero
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

Please refrain from posting comments here, this thread is meant for translations
    As oxymoronic this is, come on guys..... I'm refreshing the crap out of this and every new post I see I get excited, but end up getting depressed cuz all I see are you all chatting about...
    (4)

Player

• Apparently, 1.0 servers were running on LUA scripts, and the biggest problems were instability and memory consumption.
    I can't believe that. LUA? Seriously? It's way too much hyped, yes, but an experienced team of developers shouldn't even consider using it in an environment such as an MMO server.

• He's thinking about including a "no cut" [end of era + opening] version of the movie on the ARR CE
    All my money for this.
    (4)

Player
    Gamewatch interview is up, here's a quicklink

Yeah, I couldn't remember the English term for that.

Probably that people will pop into your field of view in a matter that doesn't make feel like the number of people are limited... idk. That's all he said about that anyway.
    You are an Awesome Lalafell!!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Griss Stilgar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycler View Post
    I can't believe that. LUA? Seriously? It's way too much hyped, yes, but an experienced team of developers shouldn't even consider using it in an environment such as an MMO server.
    I know it might be asking a lot but can some one do there best to explain what lua scripts are and why it was a bad idea to run them on the 1.0 servers? I'm not that familiar with the term.
    (0)
    An Aware, Informed, and Critical community is vital for the success of a game.
    ~ John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    You are an Awesome Lalafell!!
    Not as awesome as the Subligar King though xD

Quote Originally Posted by Griss View Post
    I know it might be asking a lot but can some one do there best to explain what lua scripts are and why it was a bad idea to run them on the 1.0 servers? I'm not that familiar with the term.
    LUA is an interpreted script based programming language. Interpreted means the code is not compiled into machine code and executed on the CPU, but executed indirectly by an interpreter runtime. Obviously, this poses a certain disadvantage from the performance standpoint. I don't know how high the overhead is compared to a compiled language like C++ is, but looking at the amount of data a game server has to handle, I don't think LUA is well suited for MMOs. There should be no problems for normal games though and since Crystal Tools wasn't originally written with MMORPGs in mind, I guess they thought LUA was ok.

IMHO that just shows how bad the decision to use Crystal tool for FFXIV was. BTW, in case my summary gives off the impression of Yoshida-san lashing at the dev team with a whip, it's not really like that. From what I gathered, they're working together and if there are problems, they're discussing how they can be solved. Both the dev team and Yoshida-san are very happy about the positive feedback on alpha.
    (4)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Griss View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

For the sake of this thread I won't go into detail, but the biggest issues with LUA are that it is dynamically typed, parsed / interpreted at runtime (if not compiled to some sort of bytecode) and it doesn't scale nearly as well as well written C or C++ code.

It is certainly fine for some tasks (especially GUI related) or even for small / medium scale server applications. I don't know for what parts they used LUA in the server, but I wouldn't write for example the AI in it. I happen to be the designer of a script interface for a game server and made some extensive research on this topic on my own / at university, so that's why I'm a bit shocked that SE developers chose LUA.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Kuma Akuma
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Not as awesome as the Subligar King though xD

LUA is an interpreted script based programming language. Interpreted means the code is not compiled into machine code and executed on the CPU, but executed indirectly by an interpreter runtime. Obviously, this poses a certain disadvantage from the performance standpoint. I don't know how high the overhead is compared to a compiled language like C++ is, but looking at the amount of data a game server has to handle, I don't think LUA is well suited for MMOs. There should be no problems for normal games though and since Crystal Tools wasn't originally written with MMORPGs in mind, I guess they thought LUA was ok.

IMHO that just shows how bad the decision to use Crystal tool for FFXIV was. BTW, in case my summary gives off the impression of Yoshida-san lashing at the dev team with a whip, it's not really like that. From what I gathered, they're working together and if there are problems, they're discussing how they can be solved. Both the dev team and Yoshida-san are very happy about the positive feedback on alpha.
    I'm not sure if there is a relation but I'm guessing they're working with a virtual cloud for the servers? It has the benefit of being able to create virtual enviroments that can be moved around on the physical servers depending on high work load. It's very flexible, buuuuuuuuuuuuut in order to do that there is a wall separating the physical machine coding (cpu) and virtual enviroments (that handle the game). I'm guessing that's why the LUA is needed.
    (0)
    (>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Player
    Character
    Nadien Kirisame
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Can we please keep the translation thread clean... if you wish to talk about something please create a new thread for that and then put a link in it back to here so if people need to see what was said in the translation then can come look... or quote the translation in the OP of the new thread... but please lets not clutter this thread much more with discussion.

Thank you Soukyuu for the summaries...

The cat is bemused =-.-=
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Munba Lunru
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 60
    A reportage (to translate XD) about the today's FF14/Luminous conference here:
    http://metenyo.blog15.fc2.com/blog-entry-6953.html
    (2)

11. 11-24-2012 09:57 PM

Page 525 of 618 FirstFirst ... 25 425 475 515 523 524 525 526 527 535 575 ... LastLast