(1)

Player
    Character
    Eilis Tozet
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 52
    Well... the gil you have to pick up for Genevieve always falls tails-up, if there is a face on the coins.

(2)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
    Well... the gil you have to pick up for Genevieve always falls tails-up
    And that's a different tails sign than the old gil icon, which appears to be a tree

And once you pick that gil up, the key item in the inventory turns into the old guild mark icon

I don't want to think this is just laziness and opportunity for the sake of simplicity, but it's starting to look like laziness and opportunity they use what ever's convenient for the sake of simplicity, lol. (Edited for accuracy )

Here's hoping that the original designers of the icons and visible items had something in mind that's just not being conveyed.

EDIT:
    Hey wait - the old Guild Mark looks like the inspiration for the design of the commemorative coin in the image of Raubahn...

Maybe there is a method to the madness in here, somewhere.
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-12-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Player
    Character
    Patricia N'yantos
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    The German Lore Forum got a answer to this.

Here it is with a little translate from me.
    A offical English one maybe comes later.

Quote Originally Posted by EU_Community_Team View Post
    Ihr habt sie jeden Tag in der Hand, aber habt ihr euch auch schon mal gefragt, wer eigentlich das Gesicht auf den Gil-Münzen ist?
    Es ist das Profil der Schicksalsgöttin Nymeia – ein Symbol für Glück!

Die Währung „Gil“ wurde erst vor circa 100 Jahren in Eorzea eingeführt, somit gibt es sie noch nicht sehr lange. Zu dieser Zeit war die Wirtschaft der Stadtstaaten auf einem Höhepunkt während einer Phase der Konflikte, die „Herbstkriege“ genannt wurde. Die sechs großen Stadtstaaten taten sich zusammen, um eine gemeinsame Währung zu gründen und den Handel zu vereinen.

Sie entschieden sich für den „Gil“ – die Währung im antiken allagischen Reich, das sich über ganz Eorzea erstreckt hatte. Um zusätzliche Diskussionen zu vermeiden, wählten sie als Motiv kein Symbol aus einer der Kulturen sondern etwas, das allen Bewohner Eorzeas gleichermaßen vertraut ist: Die Zwölf.

Aber es gibt verschiedene Varianten der Gil-Münzen und nicht auf allen ist einer der Zwölf zu sehen.

Zum Beispiel gibt es eine Gedenkmünze des „Gründungstages“, an dem die Staatlichen Gesellschaften von Eorzea wieder ins Leben gerufen wurden. Jeder der Stadtstaaten prägte hier das Antlitz des Anführers der jeweiligen Gesellschaft auf die 1-Gil-Münzen. So gibt es zwar nur „das“ Gil-Symbol im Spiel, aber eigentlich mehr als eine Version der Münzen.
    The Face is Nymeia - for Luck.
    Gil exist for only ~100 years - because there was a need for one currency instead of several (or so).

The face is mostly - but not on all - The Twelve.
    The Gil with Raubahn is like a "collectors Edtion".

Like i said, just a little translate because i´m lazy.
    (5)
    Last edited by Nyantos; 03-12-2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: adding text

Player
    Character
    Anureia Demarjilis
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 90
    It also mentions Gil being old Allag currency, and that there are multiple denominations. It says that it was first minted by the six great city states during the Autumn Wars, though since one of them, Ala Mihgo was the aggressor in that conflict, I assume it means after, probably as part of the treaty.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Thanks for the heads-up, Pat! I wish I remembered to check the other lore forums for posts more often ><

DISCLAIMER: This isn't entirely a literal translation, more of a ... localization?

Quote Originally Posted by EU_Community_Team View Post
    Ihr habt sie jeden Tag in der Hand, aber habt ihr euch auch schon mal gefragt, wer eigentlich das Gesicht auf den Gil-Münzen ist? Es ist das Profil der Schicksalsgöttin Nymeia – ein Symbol für Glück!

You have it in your hand every day, but did you ever wonder whose face is on the Gil coin? It is the image of Nymeia, Goddess of Fate - the symbol for luck!

Die Währung „Gil“ wurde erst vor circa 100 Jahren in Eorzea eingeführt, somit gibt es sie noch nicht sehr lange. Zu dieser Zeit war die Wirtschaft der Stadtstaaten auf einem Höhepunkt während einer Phase der Konflikte, die „Herbstkriege“ genannt wurde. Die sechs großen Stadtstaaten taten sich zusammen, um eine gemeinsame Währung zu gründen und den Handel zu vereinen.

Gil was introduced as a currency only about 100 years ago, so it hasn't been in use for very long. At the time of its introduction, the economies of the city-states were surging due to the Autumn War, so the six great city-states banded together to establish a common currency and unite their trade.

Sie entschieden sich für den „Gil“ – die Währung im antiken allagischen Reich, das sich über ganz Eorzea erstreckt hatte. Um zusätzliche Diskussionen zu vermeiden, wählten sie als Motiv kein Symbol aus einer der Kulturen sondern etwas, das allen Bewohner Eorzeas gleichermaßen vertraut ist: Die Zwölf.

They opted for the "Gil," - the currency of the ancient Allagan Empire, which once spanned all of Eorzea. To avoid any additional discussion, they chose for its symbol one of the things that all of their cultures had in common: The Twelve.

Aber es gibt verschiedene Varianten der Gil-Münzen und nicht auf allen ist einer der Zwölf zu sehen.

However, there are different variations of the Gil coin, and not all feature one of the Twelve.

Zum Beispiel gibt es eine Gedenkmünze des „Gründungstages“, an dem die Staatlichen Gesellschaften von Eorzea wieder ins Leben gerufen wurden. Jeder der Stadtstaaten prägte hier das Antlitz des Anführers der jeweiligen Gesellschaft auf die 1-Gil-Münzen. So gibt es zwar nur „das“ Gil-Symbol im Spiel, aber eigentlich mehr als eine Version der Münzen.

For example, on Foundation Day, the day the Eorzean Alliance was revived, commemorative coins were minted that featured the leaders of each individual city-state's Grand Comany. So, in the game, there may only be the Gil symbol, but variations of the coins can and do exist.
    It's almost like someone over there read our thread. Keep ringing bells of the unknown, guys and gals, we're being watched...

Thanks, Community Teams!

EDIT: And cheers for the extra tidbits, Corvinoobus! (I love how deep in thought your avatar looks... Pensive Pudding. "Hmm. Is that edible? It looks edible. I'm gonna eat it.")
    (6)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-12-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

It seems our hardworking French and German colleagues beat us to the punch this time! Here’s the official English with a few extra tidbits to make it up to y'all:

---

The currency now commonly referred to as “gil” was officially adopted by the city-states of Eorzea roughly one-hundred years ago, as a means to strengthen trade relations in the wake of the Autumn War.

Prior to this, each city-state minted and regulated its own currency, which led to unpredictable exchange rates and prompted many traders to use ancient Allagan pieces in lieu of other coinage. Recognizing the wisdom of the practice (and desiring greater control over the money supply), the leaders of Eorzea announced the creation of new gil, and further decreed that its value would be standardized across all nations. Moreover, to help encourage adoption, it was designed in the image of its precursors.

Initially, as an expression of solidarity, these coins were to be engraved with images of the Twelve, rather than those of individuals beloved of a single nation. As time passed and the gil rose to prominence, however, the policy was relaxed, and the coin came to bear an ever increasing variety of motifs. Those minted to commemorate the reformation of the Eorzean Alliance are a notable example from recent years.

But to finally answer the question which prompted this discussion: the face on the gil coin icon in the UI is that of Nymeia, the Spinner. For simplicity’s sake, we’ve elected to represent all gil with this graphic.
    (16)

Player
    Character
    L'yhan Nunh
    World
    Aegis
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    (I love how deep in thought your avatar looks... Pensive Pudding. "Hmm. Is that edible? It looks edible. I'm gonna eat it.")
    He's so cute, I just want to squish him all up into a treasure coffer and throw him into the Wanderer's Palace!
    (1)
    Yhan, the White Viper.

Player
    Character
    Lucke Arrayo
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Is there only the "one gil" coin or are there other denominations? Are there 5 gil, 10 gil, 25 gil, 50 gil coins? Imagine buying an airship for 1mil gil and dragging out 1mil coins.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucke View Post
    Is there only the "one gil" coin or are there other denominations?
    I'd imagine there's no choice. There has to be. If for nothing else, to negate the irony and comedy.

"I know it's a meager sum... but it's all I have." <struggles to lift a potato sack full of coins with a big, inverted G on it>

I'd have needed to buy my drake mount with an IOU so I could have the beast pull the cart holding its fee. And we all know I didn't buy my drake with an IOU. I'd never have paid. What's he going to do, come after me? I have a drake.

That's actually what I figured we could fall back on if we never got a reply (but we did! ♥). As far as we could tell, they just threw in whatever visual / icon they could make work at the time so that they could be reused for other things as well. Said resources look pretty nondescript so they can fit for different denominations and mints. Hell, they could play with the palette and they'll work for Golden Saucer (Platinum Mirage) tokens as well, if they're strapped for time.

FFX had a pretty large variation of currency, all in coins.

Beats having your roughspun adventuring garments erode through all your banknotes!
    (4)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-12-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast