Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Technyze Deepforces
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I won't be excited for future updates in this game until they add open world endgame content. sky, sea, hnm type stuff. which will likely never happpen. So tired of all this instanced stuff.
    (5)
    Twitch Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/technyze
    Free Company/Linkshell: OGC

Player
    Character
    Drain Bead
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihael_Longclaw View Post
    If you wanted to grind out Souls for levels, go ahead, but by NO means necessary, neither is upgrading gear and in fact, all the upgrading stones are given to you in the game if you explore hard enough, help the characters and the likes.

If you wanted a Soul Level 120 PvP Build min/maxxed with 73 poise breakpoint, your choice of weapon and whatever gear you like best, sure you can spend some hours grinding away to +15 it, but Dark Souls is always skill + patience + learning > gear + level.

You can beat the game at the lowest of levels, not even using a shield, a little toothpick if you want.

Grinding is 100% optional in those games
    From a new player’s perspective:

They indeed lost their bloodstains, many many many times. Since this was the currency used for almost everything in the game, it was indeed necessary for someone to grind out souls in order to level up, buy mosses, buy arrows, shards, etcetera. These are just a few examples of when a new player was almost forced to grind for the sake of progressing in the game.

From an advanced player’s perspective (pve):

You’re right, nothing to see here

From an advanced player’s perspective (pvp):

You had to grind humanity and slabs to be competitive. That’s just the way it was. The optimal builds usually centered around titanite slabs. Sometimes you got one in 5 minutes, sometimes it was 5 hours. You could always go grab some lizards in the great hollow, but if you expected to be competitive, you had to get slabs more often than not. This wasn’t exactly the case before the elemental weapon damage nerf and the DWGR nerf, but in today’s Lordran slabs are necessary to be competitive in a FC environment. Maintaining 99 soft humanity is also STRONGLY advised (thank you MM ).

I understand and agree that patience and skill trumps gear and level progression, but not for newer players. I’ve probably read hundreds of posts from newer players saying how they’re having trouble in Anor, only to find out that they’re using the Drake Sword and have unupgradedgear.

Lastly, you don’t have to grind in this game either, doesn’t mean you’ll be an asset to your group.

PS-Also, why 73 poise? Very strange breakpoint.
    (0)
    Last edited by Imapooonu; 01-24-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLo View Post
    I agree with you but for the most part, all the changes that were made were suggested by the unhappy 1.0 player base via the forums as well as the three polls that SE released for players to tell SE what they wanted in a MMO. The majority wanted a WoW clone. Now that we have it... they regret asking for it.

Its a case of the... be careful what you wish for.
    Just what part of this patch was in any way a 1.x-fan-type suggestion? CT was a Yoshi idea going back as far as Dalamud. PvP wasn't a veterans' idea. Increasing vertical progression with no work to increase dungeon longevity outside of lockouts is contrary to most 1.x-fans' opinions I've seen here. A fair few among them are near-obsessively afraid of WoW clones. "More and/or expanded areas", "livelier mob AI", "more tactics, rather than 'strategies'", "increased combat system depth," "make leveling an enjoyable and challenging experience of its own" are more often the things I hear from them. I've yet to see anything that occurred in this patch come from an that population of players.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Axe Fury
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    I haven't played WoW since 2007sh? (what year did WoTLK come out? I played it for 2 weeks, got a DK and quit)
    But I am HONESTLY now tempted to start that game.
    I actually despised WoW's look and feel. I hated the tackyness of the model designs. It felt like I was playing World of Carebears, ugly reject midgets, booger people and Animal Farm gone wrong.

But I'm fairly certain that it has more to offer than current XIV. and they totally destroyed XI with SoA.
    So I might just actually try WoW. The music was pretty cool and hey, There's a decade's worth of content to experience.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Astral Moonlight
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 46
    Quote Originally Posted by Royze View Post
    I haven't played WoW since 2007sh? (what year did WoTLK come out? I played it for 2 weeks, got a DK and quit)
    But I am HONESTLY now tempted to start that game.
    I actually despised WoW's look and feel. I hated the tackyness of the model designs. It felt like I was playing World of Carebears, ugly reject midgets, booger people and Animal Farm gone wrong.

But I'm fairly certain that it has more to offer than current XIV. and they totally destroyed XI with SoA.
    So I might just actually try WoW. The music was pretty cool and hey, There's a decade's worth of content to experience.
    1) It has more to offer because it has 10+ years worth of content and had time to evolve
    2) I understand you not wanting to play this game due to it's "young state" perhaps down the line when the game has more to offer, it's possible that you may come back to give it another shot.
    (2)
    Want to know about Ishgard and See their High Houses?
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...nsion-name-%29

Player
    Character
    Crossbreed Priscilla
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    In all honesty, the game is excellent to not force me log on every day, raids are short enough to complete and experience without playing 24/7. Some people's idea of 'lasting' is them being able to play 24/7 and not get bored...gl with that
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Mog Net
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    We need some open world end game content that has depth. Everyone is either gathered together in towns or tucked away in instances, there's very little going on out in the world aside from fates and a bit of gathering and questing. Some meaningful open world content would breathe life into the world as well as some hard to access areas with strong mobs. I used to have lots of fun in the strongholds in 1.23, now I can just run right to the heart of the area and back again without ever engaging an enemy or feeling my life is in any sort of danger.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Shigeru Ookami
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    There are a lot of aspects I like from FFXIV. I like the very dynamic fights, the environements, the story, etc. I even like dungeons and the Duty Roulette. A dungeon from time to time where you meet new people and get some for of progression quickly without too much hassle.

The only thing I really hate is the vertical progression and I think this is what makes me think FFXI was all gold and pink to my eyes. (While I could list hundreds of pages of flaws...) The diversity of endgame events and equipments gave us a lot to look forward to.

Now, FFXIV is in its very beginning, so I wont compare the two nor judge of the content we have right now. Maybe when we'll have much more content, horizontal progression could be done, but like many of you, it feels like this game will take the vertical progression approach forever. And I don't think I could handle it forever either.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zahra Dubs
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlord View Post
    1) It has more to offer because it has 10+ years worth of content and had time to evolve
    2) I understand you not wanting to play this game due to it's "young state" perhaps down the line when the game has more to offer, it's possible that you may come back to give it another shot.
    WoW does not have 10 years of content. Anything that was developed pre expansion has been abandoned and is not experienced regularly by its player base. The only relevant content in WoW is that developed in the most recent expansion, generally released in 2 year intervals.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Xairos Karalis
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by zdub303 View Post
    WoW does not have 10 years of content. Anything that was developed pre expansion has been abandoned and is not experienced regularly by its player base. The only relevant content in WoW is that developed in the most recent expansion, generally released in 2 year intervals.
    This is exactly why they are offering fresh new level 90 characters for the new expansion. WoW has the old content, but they themselves admit it isnt worth trodging through.

Quote Originally Posted by Unabaro View Post
    There are a lot of aspects I like from FFXIV. I like the very dynamic fights, the environements, the story, etc. I even like dungeons and the Duty Roulette. A dungeon from time to time where you meet new people and get some for of progression quickly without too much hassle.

The only thing I really hate is the vertical progression and I think this is what makes me think FFXI was all gold and pink to my eyes. (While I could list hundreds of pages of flaws...) The diversity of endgame events and equipments gave us a lot to look forward to.

Now, FFXIV is in its very beginning, so I wont compare the two nor judge of the content we have right now. Maybe when we'll have much more content, horizontal progression could be done, but like many of you, it feels like this game will take the vertical progression approach forever. And I don't think I could handle it forever either.
    I agree with you. And SE will have to tread lightly (just a smidge) for horizontal gear progression. In all honesty the are somewhat doing it with Coil and CT and Myth even though they are all but equal. A fresh level 50 has some options.

With Horizontal gear progression you will have an outcome of a mix and match Best In Slot (kind of what we have now with Coil and Myth) and gear swapping for certain abilities (which is what "good" players did in FFXI *note I wasnt cool enough to macro swap gear lol*)
    (2)
    Last edited by Xairos; 01-24-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast