Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Lona Shiri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80

Jig Lag (An Issue that needs to be adressed)

My propose for posting this is to make this issue have a little more public face time.
    It's something that gets buried under all the bigger problems in the game and might get forgotten in the process. Somebody else did a great job posting an explanation of this so I will use that post.

From ZAM, Purplenv said:

What is Jig Lag:
    Jig lag can be explained by, any delay in providing a response to the server during the fishing mini-game.

What causes Jig Lag:
    1 -Communication lag caused by your ISP
    2 -Communication lag caused by general internet traffic
    3 -Communication lag casued by the SE servers
    4 -Slow player response due to distractions

How long do I have before Jig Lag takes effect:
    As tested by MJV, ~10 seconds, this may be slightly longer for the first jig to start the minigame.

What are the results of Jig Lag:
    Instant depletion of remainder bar
    For someone familiar with the other 2 DoL classes, this can seem a lot like DoL Fatigue, but there is one key difference. Fatigue will damage the fish, and auto-fail from a single jig. Jig lag will auto-fail, but you will not recieve a damage fish message from that same jig. (Note: If your lag is not completely debilitating, you can damage a fish on one jig, then fail to jig lag on the other actions. This is different then the fatigue damaged fish message from the same jig action)

So that is the basic information.
    Jig lag can be VERY frustrating, and depending on your ISP/SE Server can be very uncommon, or a regular/daily occurance. Unfortunately, only cause #4 can be resolved immediately. All other causes are outside your immediate control.

So, if you are having fishing troubles consider this as the possible cause.

I consider the ability of rather simple internet lag to cause this problem a bug, and eventually hope SE will resolve the issue, which is as simple as extending the jig timer. For realism, it is fine to keep a timer like this in place, in contrast with the other DoL classes, but it really should be set to a duration that does not come into play so often for the average player.

The addition of an appropriate error message stating that the players response was to slow, should also be implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haibel View Post
    Post Edit.

I Edited this post to add a video to show what I'm talking about
    http://youtu.be/KL_JAKbXrJI
    (2)
    Last edited by Haibel; 05-20-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kristelig Qvinna
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    I'm confused. First, I don't have a clear understanding of what jig-lag even is, which is a problem if you're trying to address a developer with a term you made up. Second, the posts you pasted here conflict with eachother; one claims there is some sort of issue with latency to the server in fishing, while the other post claims the "problem" is a coded anti-bot mechanism.

If I am decyphering properly, then the term "jig-lag" is referring to "the loss of fish due to exceeding the ~10 second jig time limit". You'd have to have like 3000-5000 ms of latency for this to be a problem, in which case the entire rest of the game is likely also unplayably laggy. I suppose the issue could be fixed if the client is sent the fish's position before each jig, so the game occurs locally on your machine. But then someone smart will probably be able to isolate, read, and interpret that data and develop a way to have a 100% catch rate...

How bad is the problem? I lose like 1 in 10 fish or so on the first jig, it doesn't bother me and I chalk it up to jigging the Wrong Way(tm) with a big fish on the hook (also seems to happen a lot if I jig at the absolute extreme end of the jig spectrum).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Morph Eus
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 90
    This needs to be fixed. Hope the devs see this post. I lose fish all the time because of jig lag.
    (2)
    Dreadnought - Hyperion Free Company
    http://dn.guildwork.com/

Player
    Character
    Lona Shiri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes_Mondego View Post
    I'm confused. First, I don't have a clear understanding of what jig-lag even is, which is a problem if you're trying to address a developer with a term you made up. Second, the posts you pasted here conflict with eachother; one claims there is some sort of issue with latency to the server in fishing, while the other post claims the "problem" is a coded anti-bot mechanism.

If I am decyphering properly, then the term "jig-lag" is referring to "the loss of fish due to exceeding the ~10 second jig time limit". You'd have to have like 3000-5000 ms of latency for this to be a problem, in which case the entire rest of the game is likely also unplayably laggy. I suppose the issue could be fixed if the client is sent the fish's position before each jig, so the game occurs locally on your machine. But then someone smart will probably be able to isolate, read, and interpret that data and develop a way to have a 100% catch rate...

How bad is the problem? I lose like 1 in 10 fish or so on the first jig, it doesn't bother me and I chalk it up to jigging the Wrong Way(tm) with a big fish on the hook (also seems to happen a lot if I jig at the absolute extreme end of the jig spectrum).
    The problem is BAD! as in, unless you hit the sweet spot and pull the fish up when you hook it your not gonna catch it.
    I've tested my ping and come out with and avg ping of 1250ms to Tokyo. My problem didn't happen untill Open beta.
    I could catch fish like a pro and took fishing to cap in alpha and all beta phases until open beta. the reverse was true
    for BTN and MIN. I couldn't do anyting with those jobs until OBT. SE changed something and I haven't caught a fish after hooking it since. If I hook a fish and it don't come up then, I will lose the rest of my remainder gauge on the next jig.
    I'm not the only person that has had this problem.
    (0)

I have no issues with so-called jig-lag unless I am simply not paying attention and forget to jig. Early on there was some UI lag that could cause jig-lag, but for me, when I press the button on my controller, the little bobber thingy stops. Unless I just blatantly screw up I have no issues what-so-ever hitting the same spot I just hit.

Problems occur when: my system does something like auto-download an update and start to install it, I open or close another program (like Word or Photoshop), i.e.: the usual suspects. Playing on a clean system (Win Ultimate, fresh install, with uTorrent, Word, and Firefox, a recently reformatted drive) and having turned off all background auto-updates and turned of services I don't use... no problems.

IMO, 90% of jig-lag is caused locally and is fixable. (That's a figure of speech, not a hard number!) That said, I won't dismiss jig-lag as an issue that SE needs to address. As it is, you DO have to pay very close attention. If someone asks you a question and you answer it, you will end up passing your jig timer, and loose your fish. A system like this is very touchy, and I can see how any amount of lag could be a problem. Especially for those of you on cable. Neighbor starts to torrent 50 seasons of SNL and the next thing you know, you loose a fish. SE definitely need to build a little more forgiveness into the system, reduce keyboard and mouse lag (I play with a controller because it is so much more responsive, but I can't wait to get back!), and all that. IN the meantime... Do what you can to maximize your ability and clean your system up. It is well known that harddrive read-write especially bottlenecks FF14.
    (2)
    Pooka Pucel - Sanctus Refero - Besaid - http://www.sanctusrefero.com/

Player
    Character
    Lona Shiri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    I'm bumping this up just because the issue still exists.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    I'll pass on a fix. If you make this client-side, you open up a real easy route for botting.

My "jig lag" is nearly constant, and you should be able to easily learn to compensate for it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zealotius Arkimedes
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Since Fishing is time based to what seems like nanoseconds, I 100% Like OP idea, only needs minimal server nerf I think.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lona Shiri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I'll pass on a fix. If you make this client-side, you open up a real easy route for botting.

My "jig lag" is nearly constant, and you should be able to easily learn to compensate for it.

Your Comment is invaild. there are a ton of bots for fishing right now. Jig Lag is not my term. it's just a term that
    popped up when I search for reasons why in all verison of the game I could catch fish then all of a sudden I couldn't
    come open beta. There is no timer on logging and mining. I can do those just fine. the timer on fishing needs togo
    it doesn't pervent botting in one bit.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Ah, I misunderstood what you meant by Jig Lag then.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast