Player
    Character
    Lunairetic Emx
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by xxalucard View Post
    There is no "gamble" with DET, you're right. It's guaranteed. Well, guaranteed to barely do anything.
    Which is more than what crit will get you.

If someone (and their garuda) gets a few extra critical hits, they will surpass the damage that 51 more DET would "consistently" produce.
    Few extra critical hits? That's asking for a lot from 1%.

If I stand next to you on a dummy, and we sit there spamming ruin, the moment I get that extra critical hit I've done more damage than you.
    Actually, no. The moment you get that Ruin crit, you've partially caught up to the +1 damage I've accrued over every attack thus far.

Focusing on DET "bets" that I will be insanely unlucky with crit procs and that it will take so much time for me to hit one that the slight few points of increased damage on the window edges will add up to hundreds of damage more than me before I get one.
    No. Focusing on Crit "bets" that you will get insanely lucky with crit procs.

Focusing on DTR "bets" that the Crit build will be statistically average or worse*.

* Although I'm not as familiar with DoM scaling dynamics, so the DTR stack could potentially have already scaled CRT to the point where it's competitive. Shrug.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tricksta Zaede
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    So, after reading this thread, and the arguments over which stat is better for SMN I actually went out and tested a few gear sets (Yeah lolparsers) doing 5 minute tests, using Raging once per test, only counting my dps, using Garuda just for contagion. I only did 5 tests on each set, but plan to do more when time allows to get more static numbers and here is what I've found.
    Crit set- 496INT, 552Crit, 282 Det, 400SS Det Set- 496INT, 497Crit, 314Det, 400SS SS Set- 492INT, 447Crit, 309DET, 477SS

Crit set, average damage over 5 runs at 63,876 and 212 DPS. My best run was 65,840 216 DPS, worst run was 62,505 210 DPS.
    DET set, average damage over 5 runs at 64,280 and 213 DPS. My best run was 65,370 215DPS, Worst run was 63,658 211 DPS.
    SS set, average damage over 5 runs at 63,753 and 212 DPS. My best run was 65,250 214DPS, Worst run was 62,785 210 DPS.

Even though this is a small sample, it shows that Crit is what we should expect from crit, being inconsistent with higher spikes, while the Determination build is much more consistent damage.

I will like to add, that spell speed may actually be good for us, my SS set is far from being the best it can be, but I can see, in a fight with very little movement (Turn 5, Garuda Ex, Turn 2) and optimal SS set being best for damage. While, in most other fights it being preference whether you want to run CRIT (Spike) heavy or DET (Consistence) heavy.

When I get the time, I plan on running some more tests, to see if this all holds true over a big sample size.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nurse Joy
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    Few extra critical hits? That's asking for a lot from 1%.
    You have to consider that Garuda has his own crit rate (scaled from gear) along with me. His auto-attack is always going off parallel to whatever I happen to be doing. So if the gear would grant me 1 extra critical hit, then I think it's fair to assume it would also grant Garuda 1 extra critical hit as well.

It's [I believe] more than 1% of a crit-rate difference between gearsets. Counting the pants, head, and hero ring, the crit BiS gearset has 71 more crit. (Pants +34, Head +21, Hero Ring +16)

Actually, no. The moment you get that Ruin crit, you've partially caught up to the +1 damage I've accrued over every attack thus far.

You're assuming it's taken over 100 casts for me to get 1 extra crit. (Because the crit would add at least +100 damage compared to a normal ruin.) You're also assuming that your ruins hit higher in the damage window every single time, which is not always true. The same applies to our pets.

It's possible to happen, I agree. But I feel the likelihood of hitting at least one extra one per 100 casts would be worth it.

You also have to take into account that only ruin gets that small +100 damage bonus; fester and enkindle get bigger bonuses and are on longer cooldowns, so an extra crit off one of those abilities is huge.

No. Focusing on Crit "bets" that you will get insanely lucky with crit procs.
    Focusing on DTR "bets" that the Crit build will be statistically average or worse*.
    I respectfully disagree.

*edit*
    Crit set- 496INT, 552Crit, 282 Det, 400SS Det Set- 496INT, 497Crit, 314Det, 400SS SS Set- 492INT, 447Crit, 309DET, 477SS
    Your crit set is not optimal (less than 71 more crit than the other set). If you don't have the BiS pieces to compare, then the tests have little value.
    (1)
    Last edited by xxalucard; 02-02-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Player
    Character
    Tricksta Zaede
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Your crit set is not optimal (less than 71 more crit than the other set). If your gear isn't the BiS slots to compare, then the tests have little value.
    I am missing 1 BIS piece, and I hardly doubt the 16 crit is hardly going to change the fact that Crit will spike more, but remains inconsistent.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Luna Clear
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Lets all argue with the guy who hates theorycrafting and maths but still tries to tell us what's BiS. It's about as much fun as arguing science with a creationist.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Princess Priya
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Seobit View Post
    Lets all argue with the guy who hates theorycrafting and maths but still tries to tell us what's BiS. It's about as much fun as arguing science with a creationist.
    <3
    /10char
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Torin Escarpa
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalandros View Post
    Yea I just can't trust any of these "Simulations", these "theoretically calculated damage results" are just not backed by any precise data as the game itself doesn't give that much info out.
    I'll keep going with what I feel is best for me.
    So you're saying... you'd rather "trust your feelings", than provable math and simulated rotations that you, yourself, can verify look legit? Ok, that sounds like a great idea. The game gives out precise data, numbers on your screen. Take those numbers, compare them to the given formula. They match? Guess what, now you can prove what is actually better, not what just "feels best".

DTR BiS - 94904

CRT BiS - 94556

CRT BiS w/ Allagan head - 94670

Quote Originally Posted by sackm View Post
    how is it possible for the 17 determination from AF2 pants to outweigh the 34 crit from Allagan? Can someone explain how allagan is not BiS?
    It isn't. But the reason myth pants are better in that set is because the set drops myth gloves for allagan gloves (which are a lot more damage) and uses myth pants as a means to make up for the lost accuracy. There is no such thing as BiS for an individual slot, because all that matters is the set as a whole. (because of accuracy)

It isn't, but a lot of people jump on bandwagons & theorycraft math without regard to rotation / class / purpose.

IN reality if you get even 1 more crit from the extra crit rate it would be more DPS than the 17 det. Det is not a guaranteed increase in damage, it's a slight raise to the lower/higher damage window ranges. The actual damage can fall into the same range as someone with less det (or even hit lower than someone with less det) many times throughout a fight.

Only the lowest possible damage hit from both windows would guarantee that more DET is a slight increase in damage, and the same is true for the highest possible hit (within a few damage).

Since both stats are essentially "chance" increases, I rather bet on crit than Det. Though some of the best crit pieces come with det anyway.
    Why do you continue to simply outright ignore the math, the only one part of this that can be proven at all? Why do you continue to suggest RNG related reason for why one thing is better than another? You do realize, that over any substantial amount of time, all of this simply averages out, and any scenario you might imagine where RNG goes bad for one set and not for another, is simply NOT a good way to compare what is better than another. You're making very vague generalization about theoretical situations, that if you look at the underlying math (1 point of crit DOES actually average out to be a specific amount of added damage, just like DTR, just like SS, just like INT, just like WD), it can easily prove which stat is better. Take the formula, do the math. DTR is very easily a better stat for average damage added. RNG does not matter. Getting lucky on a crit and not on a couple damage rolls, does absolutely NOT make one stat better or worse than another.

The only bandwagoning going on here is bandwagoning on the side of provable math, which we've lacked for so long.

In reality, the 'old' BiS set (CRT heavy) is almost (within 0.5%) as good as the DTR heavy BiS. There is no reason to argue the merits of CRT in the current SMN itemization. A CRT heavy BiS is just as good as a DTR heavy BiS. But all this vague rationalization going on is doing absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation, all it does is confuse the issue for people who haven't taken the time to read all the actual proof.
    (6)
    Last edited by T0rin; 02-03-2014 at 06:07 AM.

Player
    Character
    Zephyr Caller
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 56
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rin View Post

DTR BiS - 94904

CRT BiS - 94556

CRT BiS w/ Allagan head - 94670
    Sorry, for a noob like me who got lost in the 17 pages here, can you please help me figure out what sets these three are? Sorry! ><
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Torin Escarpa
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimahri123 View Post
    Sorry, for a noob like me who got lost in the 17 pages here, can you please help me figure out what sets these three are? Sorry! ><
    Simulated single target rotations with different sets of gear, to try to show how spell speed affects damage output, and to put some 'reality' to all this theorycrafting.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zephyr Caller
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 56
    oh I meant like what pieces in each slots.
    (0)

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast