Player
    Character
    Mohamed Elmankabady
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 28

I really really like the archer, but I don't want to be support

Hello, I am new to FFXIV and as such, I need someone to tell me why I should stick to playing an archer as opposed to another class.

Basically, I am really demotivated to continue leveling up my archer because when I look at end-game content (especially how it is described in the forums), it is clear that I will be focusing on singing rather than dps.

The thing is, I don't like to sing. I like to dps. I want to be brought in to a group because I am good at damaging the boss, not because my voice helps healers heal more often.

So, I started to level pugilist and gladiator to level 7, but, even though I enjoy the fact that I will be brought to groups for only my dps, I don't enjoy their playstyle.

Can someone relate a little bit to how I am feeling? Or am I the only one who feels that making the Bard as the only "job" for an archer is kind of forcing all archers to be support rather than let's say... giving archers two jobs - pure dps (higher dps output) vs. dps/support.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ahraliah Moon
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Try BLM or SMN. They are both ranged and have little to no support.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cute Miqo'te
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 34
    The great beauty of FFXIV is you can switch between any class. I agree that some content once you hit level 50 is a little tied to certain roles rather than allowing a player to concentrate upon what they prefer. However this is not all the content.

To make it far in FFXIV you need to progress all of the available classes to some extent - gaining valuable cross class abilities. I'd not focus upon what happens end-game until you actually reach end-game - the journey is more enjoyable if you look around at the scenery rather than at the destination.

Once you hit 50 on your main classes and jobs you may find that your outlook has changed totally.

BTW - Gladiator is not DPS, they are a tank so if you are expecting to DPS at a Gladiator you may be in for a shock. Try giving the Lancer a go instead of you wish DPS as Gladiator is a whole different play style.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 85
    Bard is primarily a DPS, with support options. It should be noted that singing doesn't keep you from attacking (It's a status you apply to yourself that buffs people nearby, though some songs do lower your DPS a little as a cost), and you can't sing full time due to MP costs. Give it a shot, it's not full blown support like a healer. Also, there's way more to the game than being top DPS on the parser. Having your group actually SUCCEED at their objective is kind of more important in my opinion.
    (2)

Character
    Mhaeric Llystrom
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    With the next expansion, Ranger is likely to be the DPS Job specialization of Archer. This is only educated speculation. There has been no confirmation by developers on which jobs will make it into the game. The only thing we know for sure is that Yoshii said new Jobs will come with the first expansion, that he feels he has to include the Musketeer class because it already sort of exists, and that some type of 'scout' class such as Thief and/or Ninja will also likely be included since he feels the game is lacking in that way.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Raegen Beaumont
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    singing a song that only takes 3s of your time once or twice in a big fight is too much for you? a good smn or blm that uses eye for an eye/virus in the same fight has probably more support time than a brd
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vivienne Sokah
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 53
    As someone who plays a bard. I actually do alot of damage, I am indeed largely DPS. I also tho can buff with my songs. I am not suppot focused, THo I don't understand why my limit break is a healing and not some giant arrow of doom.

Besides. Archer/Bard are considered a bit easy because I can basically run circles around an enemy and just fill them full of arrows while the other ranged DPSers, aka the Summoner/Black Mage require to stand there and charge up.

Your not limited. Archers/Bards are brought in BECAUSE they are damned good at damage, its just the Singing is a plus that alot of players love to take advantage of. ..At least thats what I think anyway. I'll admit to being wrong. I'm still learning the game myself somewhat.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    N'hara Tia
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Bard is an exceptionally good Damage Dealer job, with very good damage and a potential 100% uptime on their target (meaning, if you're good enough, you never have to stop attacking a target, even when most other jobs might be forced to stop attacking, such as when needing to dodge an AoE). Their "support" status only really comes into play with Mage's Ballad and Army's Paeon, which slightly reduce your damage output in order to improve nearby ally's MP and TP regeneration (respectively). These songs have a roughly 3 second cast time, after which you are free to return to dealing damage as the buff persists so long as you have the MP to sustain it. They also lack a damage-dealing Limit Break, but I can confidently say that having a Bard around to use the Rank 3 Limit Break: Pulse of Life has saved an otherwise unsuccessful boss attempt more than once.

If you try out Bard and still dislike it, the Musketeer is a class that will be released in the near future. Given that it focuses on the use of guns, it's fairly safe to say it will also be a ranged damage-dealing class like the Archer, and may better appeal to your tastes (though what job[s] will be attached to the Musketeer is still the subject of a lot of friendly debate).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Spawnie Lionheart
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    bard is more dps then support ;/ yeah u have support based songs but rarely really need to use them, since the songs reduce ur damage most parties prefer u not using alot ;/
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Berthom Sur
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed View Post
    The thing is, I don't like to sing.
    You don't have to sing in real life as well
    (4)