Thread: Timeworn maps

Player
    Character
    Kalandros Shadowsun
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    False. Level 50 required for Level 50 Fishing pools.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lineage Razor
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalandros View Post
    False. Level 50 required for Level 50 Fishing pools.
    The only fishing holes that have a level requirement are the hidden fishing holes, which you need the Gulleye trait to fish in. The hidden fishing holes you require level 50 (which is when you learn Gulleye III) for can be levels 40, 45, or 50, depending on the hole.

Ordinary fishing pools can be accessed at any level. For example, the Tangle in Mor Dhona is level 50, but I was fishing for Boltfish there for one of the fishing Leves in Coinnach well before I was level 50. Another example is Blind Iron Mines - a level 20 hole near Limsa Limosa, where you can fish up stuff even as early as level 1. Of course, if you're low enough level that all the fish in the pool are too high level to bite any bait you use, you won't have much luck fishing there, but you still can make the attempt.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kalandros Shadowsun
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    I see, so I guess I was trying at one of those "hidden" fishing holes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lineage Razor
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalandros View Post
    I see, so I guess I was trying at one of those "hidden" fishing holes.
    If you see the message, "You sense fish swimming below but don't know where." it means that you've found a hidden fishing hole. If the hole is level 1, 5, 10, 15, or 20, you need Gulleye (level 20 class trait) to fish there. If the hole is 25, 30, or 35, you need Gulleye II (level 35 class trait). If the hole is 40, 45, or 50, you need Gulleye III (level 50 class trait).

For any other fishing hole, you are always able to cast your line. Whether you are able to catch something depends on whether you're using sufficiently high-level bait.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Roger Valiane
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    People have been saying that after you found a map, you will be unable to find another one in the next 18 hours. However, while fishing, I managed to obtain around 4-5 goatskin maps within a 2-hour period.

Hence, shouldn't the lockout actually be for deciphering a map, rather than for finding a map?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    M'kael Jin
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BondEternal View Post
    People have been saying that after you found a map, you will be unable to find another one in the next 18 hours. However, while fishing, I managed to obtain around 4-5 goatskin maps within a 2-hour period.

Hence, shouldn't the lockout actually be for deciphering a map, rather than for finding a map?
    No offense, but I'd like to see proof of this. The lockout is most definitely for finding maps, as you can decipher as many as you want (one at a time) either by storing extra maps in your retainers or buying them off the market board.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Andros Dyrstwyrn
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDan View Post
    To clarify the level requirements:

On any gathering class level 36+, you can access nodes level 40.
    On any gathering class level 41+, you can access nodes level 45.
    On any gathering class level 46+, you can access nodes level 50.
    I was confused because at Moondrip (Western Thanalan) I leveled 27 to 35 and got Leather and Goatskin maps.
    But then I checked and it is a lvl 45 spot so you can access maps before lvl 36 (for fishers)

I moved to dune fishing at southern thanalan and couldn't find maps, and after a check the spots are lvl 35
    (0)
    Last edited by Thaliss; 02-03-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Player
    Character
    Esprit Libre
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    You can't get maps from dunefishing and skyfishing spots.

Also, as I just pleasantly discovered, you can fish up maps from a hole at any level, as long as you are capable of fishing the lowest level fish in the spot up and the hole has the map in the first place. The way maps work is they randomly replace the fish in the hole, so it is possible for your level 40-50 map to replace a low level mooching fish in a high level spot. For example, you can fish up a boarskin map as theoretically low as level 10 by fishing for Ala Mhigan Fighting Fish in The Tangle. Fish will bite on bait up to 6 levels below theirs, so a level 10 fisher using level 10 bait can catch the level 16 Ala Mhigan Fighting Fish, which has a chance of being replaced by a Boarskin Map in The Tangle (which does not need Gull Eye to access). Now, I say theoretically because I assume a level 10 Fisher would simply not have enough Gathering to reel in the map. My level 30 fisher (an alt, not my main, btw) with all level 20-ish gear was perfectly capable of fishing up the map after about 20 fighting fish, though.
    (0)
    Last edited by Espritduo; 02-06-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Player
    Character
    Stouter Taru
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by BondEternal View Post

Did you already have one in your inventory from 18+ hours prior, and got the message that you caught it but couldn't keep the one you just fished up since it's unique, or did you use all 4-5 maps?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tomba Labomba
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    ^^ that was a bug and is no longer possible

"An issue wherein Disciples of the Land were able to obtain additional timeworn maps without waiting 18 hours (Earth time) after having already obtained a timeworn map."

taken from: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...=1#post1720556
    (0)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast