Player
    Character
    Flig Neldajoa
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 50

In Game DoT Tracker

For many jobs you have to use DoTs and sometimes it can be hard to keep track of your DoTs so you'll forget to refresh them. Sometimes you'll be focused on your rotation or running out of aoes so you'll forget to look up to see if they wore off. Unfortunately, maximum upkeep of dots means maximum damage and lots of people forget to refresh them for a number of reasons. Now in many mmos there are add ons that would allow you to easily track them, however in this game addons aren't here yet (although in the future they will be from what I've heard). With that said, there is a way in the game to remind you when your DoTs wear off.

All you need to do is make a macro for your DoT that looks something like this.
    First off, go to your filters and make sure the echo is on along with making it a color that really sticks out so you can see it going off without really having to pay attention to your chat log. The good thing about the /echo command is you are the only person that will see it so you won't clog up everyone else's chat log.

/ac "Demolish" <t>
    /wait 18 (or however long the dot lasts)
    /echo !!!!!!#####@@@@@### DEMOLISH !!!!!####@@@@###

This way, whenever a dot wears off you'll get a little reminder that your DoT has worn off.

Now there are some limitations to this. First off, you can only use it for one dot because you can only have one macro going off at once. So make sure you use it with a dot that you tend to forget to keep up, or one that is close to the timers of your other dots. Another limitation is you cannot have the echo play sounds to make it easier to recognize that the timer has worn off. Anyway, this isn't perfect by any means - and you can look at the enemy debuffs to see if your dot wore off but sometimes that can be hard if you have other group members with the same dots and sometimes you can just flat out forget to refresh it. But, try it out, see if it helps.
    (0)
    Last edited by Genesiser; 11-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Player
    Character
    Flig Neldajoa
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 50
    Actually, I ran into a problem - you can't run more than one macro at a time for different timers. So, I guess just put the macro on an ability that resembles the timer that's close to your other dots to remind of your other ones. Sorry, I should have tested that before posting. Then again, when you have a reminder for one of them, it will remind you of the other ones. Oh well.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rhysse Terkleton
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 60
    Not to throw a wrench into your plans even further, but last I checked you couldn't send /tells in dungeons or raids.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Flig Neldajoa
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Terk177 View Post
    Not to throw a wrench into your plans even further, but last I checked you couldn't send /tells in dungeons or raids.
    You're right, I just tested this. Instead you get a tiny sound with an error that says 'cannot send tell' or something along those lines. I guess that's the best we can hope for when it comes to a reminder.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Waliel Hla
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Wasn't there a way to make a system message or something only you could see? Could use that one.
    (0)

Yoshi-P is doing his best and is patching Endwalker. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Player
    Character
    Flig Neldajoa
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Waliel View Post
    Wasn't there a way to make a system message or something only you could see? Could use that one.
    Not sure, I don't know a whole lot about the in game commands. Maybe someone knows how to do them and can shed some light on it. Maybe even how to do the system command with a noise attached to it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alicia Searrs
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    You can use the /echo (or just /e) command to do display a text only you can see. I don't know if the sounds effects work with it, though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zelia Sarrasin
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Using macros is bad for everything but off GCD skills.

Also, they fixed it so all your personal debuffs are on the left of the debuff line(s) for the enemy.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Shirai N'yankoro
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevee View Post

Also, they fixed it so all your personal debuffs are on the left of the debuff line(s) for the enemy.
    ^
    This, and another trick I personally use is counting the GL rotations after each application.
    (1)
    Felis catus

Player
    Character
    Flig Neldajoa
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevee View Post

I understand macros aren't the best way to go about using skills and I also know that your debuffs are on the left along with a green counter, however there are lots of people that are terrible at keeping their dots up and I was just trying to think of a way to make it easier for people to keep them up.

Anyway, I tried different setups and the best I could come up without having a noise (since you can't send tells to yourself or have the game play a noise with a /echo) is just make your echo chat color something that really stands out. Another thing you could do is when you are in a dungeon, make the chat window have large font so it sticks out when the echo goes off.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast