Player
    Character
    Leon Lamperouge
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

Favorite Aspects From Various Games

Hey everyone. Just for fun, and possibly for giving some additional insight to SE as to what players may find enjoyable in a game, I think we should list out some of our favorite games and talk about what makes us really enjoy them. This can include your favorite games of all time, games you currently find interesting and are playing at the moment, or whatever is on your mind really.

I'll go ahead and start.

FFXIV
    1. Main storyline was done well
    2. Crafting mini-game is unique from other MMORPGs
    3. Graphics

FFXI
    1. Sense of adventure found in massive open world, fun NMs to hunt, coffer hunting
    2. Lateral itemization kept items of all levels interesting and relevant
    3. Content designed for large groups and low man (duo, trio)

WOW
    1. Responsiveness and fluidity of character control
    2. Add-ons and player customization
    3. Arena, BGs, PVP
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Razu Erisu
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    Cooking Mama:
    Culinary XP

Edit:
    Gardening Mama:
    Botanist LOL
    (1)
    Last edited by Razzle; 11-27-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Gardening Mama

Player
    Character
    Tribunus Augustus
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    RIFT:

1. Incredibly fast content releases (atleast until the first expansion arrived)
    2. Most vocal dev team ever.
    3. Every class can do everything whilst keeping a unique flavour.

FFXI:

1. Excluding 21-24 hr pops, best endgame I have ever experienced.
    2. Lots of classes.
    3. Story.

FFXIV:

1. Graphics, very good looking game and to me seems incredibly well optimized in regards to FPS etc.
    2. Story
    3. Enjoy the old school mmo that I feel it tries to portray.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Xatsh Vei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Not counting technical aspects like server lag and stuff. But the ingame stuff I like from each game.

Rift:
    1) Quick Content updates
    2) Multiple Builds per job

FFXI: at endgame by far the best game in genre pre abysea in my opinion... just hundreds of hours a week of content to and you could do it with everyone not just segments of your guild.
    1) Seemingly Endless content no matter your playstyle(More stuff then was possible to complete every week), never got boring
    2) Focus on Guilds, content was designed with guilds in mind not pugs
    3) Content was worth doing for 4-8yrs, very slow rate of content negation.
    4) Strong Solid Economy for nearly 9yrs. IF you leveled a craft or gathered you made tons of money. It was not like other mmo where they were negated after patch 2 more or less for dungeon gear.

WoW
    1) Assessable to casuals (those without a lot of playtime), although after Burning Crusades it became so focus on it, that it started to ruin the game.
    ... that is all I really see good about WoW honestly.

EQ:
    1) World Design
    2) Guild focused

Tera
    1) Battle system

XIV
    1) it looks pretty
    .. other elements I like but the negatives seem to negate the purpose. Crafting/Gathering system for example I like, but the economy is a joke so in return so is crafting/gathering
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ryel Altaria
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 80
    I’ll keep this to the SE made MMOs

FFXIV ARR:

Fast paced combat:

I love that XIV features encounters that are based on telegraphed moves and a more active take on battle, the feeling of constantly moving around feels better than statically standing in one or two positions and adds more flexibility to boss mechanics.

Unique environmental landmarks:

While unfortunately the size of most zones in the open world have shrunk dramatically I do like that they’ve been given more unique areas and landmarks, no two Aetheryte camps look alike and I feel that they’ve really started to give the world some more flavor I just wish the zones were large enough for us to appreciate more of it.

Visuals:

While I know there are those who have complaints about the resolution of textures etc, the game still looks pretty impressive especially when it comes to the light and shadow department and from what we’ve been told so far things will only look better with the introduction of DX11.

FATEs:

The system isn't perfect but offers tons of great potential if fine tuned in the future.

Story:

So far it's been shaping up pretty well wont spoil it for peeps.

FFXIV 1.0:

Travel, and fear of the open world:

I miss exploration feeling like such, that I was taking a chance when making my way to far out camps due to the possibility of mobs that were 20+ levels above me ruining my day.

Crafting’s place in the lifestyle of the game:

Almost all of the crafts were able to help out their parties by repairing gear between dungeon and primal runs and it gave us a real feeling of being a worker of our trade. This was a small thing but I always thought it was a really cool small thing.

Open world content:

Notorious Monsters that existed were useful enough for some crafted items or minor drops (Dodore, Ureus) but not so much that they were over camped or competed for. This kinda goes hand in hand with some of the open world dungeon crawling as well, areas like Copperbell and Nanawa mines were fun to go through and explore.

Story:

While there wasn't nearly as much as we have now the introductions to the city states were pretty well done as well as the end of the era storyline

Oh and "Futures Perfect" no seriously, look this up.

FFXI:

Pre-Abyssia endgame:

Taking drop rates out of the equation, a lot of the FFXI endgame was pretty fun. Sky, Sea, Dynamis, Limbus, Einherjar, ZNMs, Salvage, Nyzul Isle and the many other things available gave me and all my friends plenty to do (although it might be more accurate to say forced us to do due to horrible... horrible... drop rates).

The journey to level cap:

While I don’t miss it taking forever to get jobs to 75 (seriously way too much grinding) back in the day I do miss some of the community aspect involved in EXP parties and meeting people, It was fun (most of the time) to gather a group of people travel out to a camp and slay things for a while.

Story:

It may not have been the best story ever told but the story and characters made enough impact to stay with me, granted this might also have been due to the initial difficulty of the Chain's of Promathia storyline but it was a fun and bumpy ride for the most part.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Leon Lamperouge
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Keep em comin!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Marisa Kirisame
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 55
    Hmm...

FF14:
    1. Good music
    2. Dream fantasy setting
    3. Not too bad game mechanics
    4. MMO RPG/FF nostalgia

Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil (and other Touhou games)

1. Absolutely amazing music
    2. Fractal Eye Candy Heaven
    3. Rabid and amazingly productive fan-base
    4. Little girls kicking ass and taking names

Tsukihime
    1. Story
    2. Story
    3. Story
    4. Story. All my feels. T_T
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Axidrain Fy
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Eve Online

- The only real open world sandbox MMO out there. Content is player made, expansions pretty much only gives players more tools to mess around with.
    - Server wide PK spread into 3 separate zones. "space police" protect high security space where small scale pvp happens, low security space where you get to see bigger fleet roams, and null sec where battles between thousands of players happen. YES, THOUSANDS!!

- probably the only game where bigger is not always better in pvp. its how well you play and pick your fights. makes pvp a lot more engaging cuz once u lose your ship. u really lose it.
    - exploration is awesome due to the sense of danger, the good stuff are in the most dangerous of places.
    - the pve content is pretty challenging, especially the higher tiered ones since you can get dropped by other players and get owned.
    - 99% of the stuff in-game are player made, and sold on player controlled market which i believe ffxiv took inspiration from.
    - there are no levels only masteries, and nobody in the game has mastered everything despite the game being more 10 years old
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Altanas Aidendale
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Elder Scrolls/Skyrim/Oblivion - the micro level detail to exploration. When you chance upon a cave you will really examine individual items, rather than the set piece scenes we have in ARR

SWG - literally having the ranger in our party constructing a camp out in the wild so we can catch a break before going on further adventures.

SWTOR - I like how the galaxy really does feel quite large, no narrowness or sudden changes like in ARR (feels like ARR has too many missing zones between regions)

Darkfall - how player built constructions carried risk of destruction/capture and thus comradery of guild alliances, and guild v guild sieges.

Battlefield - the comradery in pvp, and the accompanying lols when you die in hilarious ways

Diablo3/Marvel Heroes - I like how there are options for abilities and traits, every one can play differently. I also like how the Marvel Heroes devs really communicate with the players and work hard to make all the roles unique.
    (0)
    Last edited by Altanas; 11-29-2013 at 09:57 AM.