Character
    Portus Cale
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    This is what Magicks is made of.
    (0)
    He doesn't mind us conducting trials so close to his bazaar, so long as he's properly compensated... Yes, Portus, we pay him in sorcery-blasted bird flesh. - Cocobygo

Player
    Character
    Punainen Drak
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorii View Post
    I get/got confused about it too xD but one of my friends who knows the person too confirmed that rou is a guy
    No, if that's a guy, he has the most beautifully feminine 'male' voice ever. Watch the videos where they're messing around on FFXI. It says "me and David"...and there's one male and one female voice. Obviously the male voice is 'David', which leaves the female voice as Rou's.
    (0)
    Last edited by Punainen; 11-25-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Player
    Character
    Momoe Kita
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Punainen View Post
    No, if that's a guy, he has the most beautifully feminine 'male' voice ever. Watch the videos where they're messing around on FFXI. It says "me and David"...and there's one male and one female voice. Obviously the male voice is 'David', which leaves the female voice as Rou's.
    That David is such a cool guy...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Altonfenri Masaharu
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    This thread is so lolzy. LALAFEL IS THE MASTER RACE
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sasarai Korai
    World
    Ramuh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyon_Densetsu View Post
    snip
    You need to establish abuse and not just claim it. And it does not violate freedom of the press. The First Amendment applies to acts of Congress (and the States through the 14th Amendment.) Unless you are arguing that the Copyright Act is at issue, then there is no argument to be made. It is also not established precedent that bloggers on social media sites are covered by the Press Clause.

You are also conflating issues. SOPA goes above and beyond the issues brought up by this video. You also speak in hyperbole when discussing Wiki. I'm not willing to say how I feel about SOPA until I actually read the legislation, but keep in mind that peoples' livelihoods are effected on both sides of this issue.

Anyone is entitled to blog about how they feel about this game. Whether or not you get to use the companies content while doing it is not an automatic right.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Portus Cale
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    It was deleted? Again!?! By the Twelve, let it be!
    (1)
    He doesn't mind us conducting trials so close to his bazaar, so long as he's properly compensated... Yes, Portus, we pay him in sorcery-blasted bird flesh. - Cocobygo

Player
    Character
    Mii Rafurane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    They took it down again ):
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Depravicus Mana
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 19
    why would they delete this?!
    video was awesome. anybody can tell me what the song name was?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Leandras Lionheart
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 60
    Guys SE is just defending Eorzea, the lalafels actually had encrypted subliminal messages about their plot for world domination. You sneaky buggers!
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Alcyon Densetsu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by SasaraiKorai View Post
    You need to establish abuse and not just claim it. And it does not violate freedom of the press. The First Amendment applies to acts of Congress (and the States through the 14th Amendment.) Unless you are arguing that the Copyright Act is at issue, then there is no argument to be made. It is also not established precedent that bloggers on social media sites are covered by the Press Clause.

You are also conflating issues. SOPA goes above and beyond the issues brought up by this video. You also speak in hyperbole when discussing Wiki. I'm not willing to say how I feel about SOPA until I actually read the legislation, but keep in mind that peoples' livelihoods are effected on both sides of this issue.

Anyone is entitled to blog about how they feel about this game. Whether or not you get to use the companies content while doing it is not an automatic right.
    I should rather begin by saying I'm not an American citizen, thus not totally familiar with the specific laws of this country. Neither with Common Law for that matter as my country (France) isn't based on this kind of law, and I was trained in Law there.

However the issues discussed in the links I forwarded in my post (http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...75#post1586275) are, I believe, much more eloquent than I can be on this subject (mostly from a prominent and professional YouTuber who knows very well what he's talking about). I'm merely the messenger, here (and the little paragraph I put in the above post was just a quick teaser, written quickly to give an idea of the more complete post I made). So, please do read the post I linked here, or at least watch/read the links I provided in there, if we are going to have a discussion about this. (note: it will take more than two hours to absorb all that content though, and it's just a quick run-down of the story. I have hundreds of hours of discussion and analysis with a number of committees on these issues behind me; so I understand that it's a vast, complex, and nowhere near appropriate matter to discuss here; I really just wanted to give people here some food for thought).

Anyway. To address your points.

You would see, should you go through at least a few of these links (or any other source you deem worthy on the matter), that how YouTube agrees to companies requests of taking down videos is very much a matter of Freedom of the press, Freedom of speech, and Fair Use.

YouTube and comparable sites, videos from a variety of sources, use of copyrighted material combined with third-party content, the very notion of "gameplay" versus "game assets", and altogether copyright and patents in this recent digital age is very much law in the making, and these are totally grey areas as we speak. If it were so simple and settled already, trust me, we wouldn't be discussing these matters so much in pretty much every government, every IT company on the planet, and between every end-user who happens to nowadays be a producer/maker of content, some up to being entrepreneurs, who create jobs, and change how the media, the press, communicates with other end-users and provide an invaluable service (to gamers for instance, seen as more or less informed consumers).

I also do state, somewhere in the other thread linked above, that the underlying issue goes above and beyond this video. This video is just a tiny tip of a much bigger iceberg. As for copyright laws protecting livelihoods on both sides, I do wholeheartedly agree on principle (that is, the theory); but please, on your part, don't make the fallacious argument that there isn't a 'David-versus-Goliath' situation, in practice, as far as lobbying can influence lawmaking and major companies have a stronger backbone than individual YouTubers—both sides clearly don't face the same consequences, in magnitude. Do consider, as well, that SE and a few Japanese companies are totally swimming against the dominant stream as far as allowing YouTube videos is concerned (most publishers in the world, and notably in the USA, are not that restrictive, and understand that these are new grounds with law very much in the making, lagging behind current technology and social trends). Should I remind you that the law is meant to accompany society and not decide or drive its evolution, that it's the very premise of making law in our modern countries, where protecting freedoms and rights is paramount to legislation? (That's Law 101. We really shouldn't forget that, especially now in these uncertain times.)

Likewise, patent legislation is meant to protect people's and companies work, and it is unarguably an essential principle; but not recognising that it's abused to such an extent that it becomes detrimental to the very value it is meant to protect (innovation, thus innovators' livelihood/entrepreneurship) would be gravely misjudging the patent war that is currently happening between major IT companies—that would be The Economist view, certainly not a confused House (again please refer to my post linked just above for more details with links to these articles at the bottom).

Finally, about SOPA… You really don't know how you feel about it? Wikipedia's blackout in January 2012 to protest? Where have you been these last two years not to have an opinion about that? (I really don't mean to attack you, please don't take this the wrong way, but considering how you responded to my post, I would assume you know what you're talking about).
    Just fyi, "Opponents include Google, Yahoo!, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, AOL, LinkedIn, eBay, Mozilla Corporation, Mojang, Riot Games, Epic Games, Reddit, Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation, in addition to human rights organizations such as Reporters Without Borders, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), the ACLU, and Human Rights Watch." It was that dire an issue.

However I talked about SOPA as a very remote remark at the end of that post (again, link above) because the kind of power that YouTube gives to companies (again, explained in detail in the links provided in my post) is akin to what SOPA intended to enact as law. YouTube really needs to know where it stands on the issue of taking videos down on the simple and irrefragable basis of a company's request.

With this, I wish you a good reading/watching, today or tomorrow or the next year, when you have the time and the desire to do so. I'm simply hoping that you (and others) will do your part as an informed citizen. We're all entitled to our opinions, but we should be educated about them. It's what I fight for: that all of us have the right to express our opinions, about everything, from fundamental issues to petty games passing by art and feelings. And these issues touch me profoundly, as they are directly putting that ideal, these freedoms, in peril, in this digital age.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alcyon_Densetsu; 11-26-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    “Focus on the journey, not the destination.
    Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast