Player
    Character
    Supply Demand
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 72

Anyone Else Waiting on 2.1?

I am totally infatuated with my WAR. I love the mechanics, the animations, the armor look, the feel of the class, and the damage.

I am feeling pretty flat about my PLD. I love the fact that I can step in and do a BA job of tanking for my friends and FC-mates to help them through content, but its soooooo boring! There are some little applications that I can get into, but compared to WAR its an absolute snooze.

My PLD is slightly better geared (both are reliced, PLD has AF2 chest while WAR has hoplite, everything else is the same, 1 myth ring and tanking DL gear), and I was dealt a brutal blow yesterday.

I had solo tanked Hydra for my WAR's Relic quest when he had 6600hp in group. A buddy of mine needed Hydra for his WAR, so I said I'd tank it, and assured everyone that I would be totally fine solo tanking Hydra with my now-7200hp HP w/Relic.

2 runs later I had gotten smoked down to 0hp by a couple of triumvirates in a row for 5k each, even with using an IB and ToB in between (I was not topped off before it) - twice in a row!!! I apologized, hung my head, took out my sword and shield, and one shotted Hydra on the PLD, never dropping below 50% hp and barely touching my CD suite. And this is Hydra, not even Titan or much less Coil. I realize I got a little bad luck on taking such large Triumvirates so close together, but the PLD would have been able to handle those no problem with a 600pt heal in between. So all it takes is a little bad luck to get eaten alive.

The crux of the issue - I really really wanted to sit on all my Mythos until 2.1 hits. I want to see what they do to WAR before I go spend any ether way, but we're looking at a month+ of not gearing up my tanks (we're not in coil yet, we're slow : D).

It's not that I hate my PLD, I just feel better playing a WAR, I was able to do things as a WAR in lower level (30-45) dungeons that a PLD could never do, but the frustration is starting to rear its ugly head for me.

Is anyone in a similar space? What are you doing? Am I being childishly impatient for the 2.1 fixes, or should I just go ahead and spend the 1k myth I'll have next week on PLD upgrades?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ebon Drake
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Have you tried zooming your camera out? I hear that helps A LOT.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Supply Demand
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 72
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    I don't....what?
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Traek Darksoul
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehayte View Post
    Is anyone in a similar space? What are you doing? Am I being childishly impatient for the 2.1 fixes, or should I just go ahead and spend the 1k myth I'll have next week on PLD upgrades?
    I think there is a good amount of intelligent players who are in the same boat as you. I know I am waiting for changes as well, and trying to spend my myth optimally so I can help our group in coil now (I'm one of the main tanks), but also not drop down too far in effectiveness when I make the warrior switch.

Something to keep in mind, Paladin isn't getting nerfed. I know this seems obvious, but keep in mind your investments in Paladin aren't a waste. Even with Warrior buffs, there will most likely be niche fights where Paladin is preferred over Warrior, and vice versa. Its always nice to be flexible, and have geared up classes for all content. Also consider, Crystal Tower! I'm looking at this as an opportunity to fill in some Warrior slots, that I know I'm losing to Paladin gearing right now. We are going to be with this current content for a while, and there will be many an opportunity to get those Allagan drops, and Crystal Tower drops, on top of future Mythology spending. I'd personally go with what will help you, and your group in the now.

I know most of us are going to want to rush to our Warrior's and fight the good fight when 2.1 buffs come, but also keep in mind, especially for harder fights, you can always bring in your better geared tank for the fight (Paladin), and still be getting gear for your Warrior (allagain drops). Its not a big loss, except perhaps your initial *fun* on the fight.

Anyways, my two cents, all opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

*edit* But keep in mind.. if you haven't spent too much Myth, and you don't need myth gear for content.. well it isn't exactly worth upgrading to run AK/WP a little better.. I'd say given you have the Valor chest, get the Valor helm since Allagan helm doesn't drop till T5 Coil anyways.
    (2)
    Last edited by Traek; 11-09-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Supply Demand
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 72
    Quote Originally Posted by Traek View Post
    Snip
    Very much appreciated. This is how I want to feel but I don't want to be making a huge mistake if WARs become awesome, lol.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Apoc Baldr
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    ive played very few mmos but the pure mitigation tank tends to be superior and stay superior to the gimmicky tanks (life regen, damage absorb, pets, etc) even after updates and patches, so even though i love warrior i know my serious tanking will always come from pally...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Supply Demand
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 72
    @armandojc3 - Yeah, that's why I initially picked the PLD, wanting to be a main raid tank.

I'll probably just deck out my PLD, and get my jollies from DPSing on Thief when the release new classes : D
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zekron Kelberog
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehayte View Post
    Hydra issues, Myth armor
    You're or were doing Hydra wrong your meant to 2 Tank it to split the dmg.

And do what I did. People were saying that WAR can't tank coil and is just BS. We can tank it just fine. I've made it to turn 5 and with no issues except on Turn 2 that the PLD couldn't take the aggro from the ADS.

Yea Coil might be easier because of the def buffs that paladin as and the block rate.

Do what I did.
    I didn't know how Coil was going to be so I played it safe using my PLD. I had full DL set and accesories. Remember that allagan armorilv90 is drop in BC and that it can be use on the WAR and PALA. So use those Myth on your war and w/e allagan pieces you get is for the PLD.
    Whatever works for you.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Haeen Kazerith
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    I laughed a lot harder than I should have.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lyrre Myste
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimess View Post
    -snip-
    triumvurate hits for about 3k unsplit when hydra has no buffs.

if a add is alive for too long it hits for much, much more. (it one shots tanks no problem)

for coil, my FC has made it so that all groups have on pally, and one warrior. warrior is very viable during turn 2 from what i see, as it seems that the ads ignores paladin's mitigation. as a note, for all of the nodes, you can effectively tank through 8 debuffs, regardless of job.

@ebon: i fell out of my chair. i hope your happy.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast