Player
    Character
    Makeda Fyah
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90

Interesting Patching philosophy: Don't fix what's already released and worked around.

Interesting patching philosophy:

"Since this is content that has already been released and strategies have already been established, we won't be making adjustments to these encounters. Instead we'll be looking into making adjustments to warrior so they can withstand this like paladin is able to."
    forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/113554

That's from SE's own translation of the Live Letter IX.

People who are farming Coil on Paladins through '3 stacks' should not be as happy as they are they its been working...

What the above tells us is that SE's philosophy might just be:

'We don't fix dungeons and boss encounters that are broken.'

Sure, while the break THIS TIME has let the community find a way around a difficult mechanic... what does it say about what the issue could be next time and how it might get addressed?

EDIT
    : Yes I know my character here is a warrior and so some will think I'm just not happy about THIS fix. Frankly I don't care about THIS fix as I can get into that spot with my FC once I get to that point in progression, no matter which class I end up bringing, and with my healer alt as well. The actual patch they are going to make is a buff to warrior anyway.

I'm just wondering what this philosophy says about the long term. Its seems like an unusual way to approach problems that show up in the live game.

Most MMOs, when they find out a boss or dungeon is not working the way they planned it to - fix the boss or dungeon. Here they seem to have said that is exactly what they will not do. Seems a suspect reason on which to justify a fix for a specific class.
    (1)
    Last edited by Makeda; 11-02-2013 at 01:34 AM.
    Striving for perfection is the path to one's downfall. 'Tis the paradox of the immaculate carrot. | Jah Bless. One God, One Aim, and One Destiny - Marcus Garvey.
    Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war - Ras Tafari.

Player
    Character
    Alphard Alshua
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeda View Post
    Interesting patching philosophy:

"Since this is content that has already been released and strategies have already been established, we won't be making adjustments to these encounters. Instead we'll be looking into making adjustments to warrior so they can withstand this like paladin is able to."
    forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/113554

That's from SE's own translation of the Live Letter IX.

People who are farming Coil on Paladins through '3 stacks' should not be as happy as they are they its been working...

What the above tells us is that SE's philosophy might just be:

'We don't fix dungeons and boss encounters that are broken.'

Sure, while the break THIS TIME has let the community find a way around a difficult mechanic... what does it say about what the issue could be next time and how it might get addressed?

heh, that's funny
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rishtar Salomon
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    My theory is that they are just using this as the excuse to finally fix WAR, since they've previously been saying that WARs are working as intended and they don't want to appear to be going back on their previous statements.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Odsarzol Que
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    It's more like because this community would complain if SE fixes something that changes their strategies, at the very least Yoshi acknowledges that.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sentinel Guardian
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    To the OP, this is a standard "patching practice" used by many MMOs out there, you don't change the game in the middle of a progression season and expect people to not unsub, WoW tried to break these rules during Cata xpac and lost a lot of subs due to it, for half of the xpac, that was the number 1 reason for people to quit the game.

What SE is doing is actually the right thing.

Oh and as for "what type of example this may set" theory, first of all, the problem is not as bad as you are making it out to be (it is bad no-doubt), understand that this is an MMO, things will never be perfect, they have to learn from their mistakes, adjust their balancing philosophy and move on.
    (0)

Player

This topic is just further proof that you can give a negative spin to everything.

Its also a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for SE:

- SE buffs WAR so they can survive the same stuff as PLDs -> "SE you suck! Why don't you fix what's broken!"
    - SE nerfs PLDs so they can't survive stuff that they were never meant to survive -> "SE you suck! Why are you forcing us to play like you want us to play!"
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Makeda Fyah
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    To the OP, this is a standard "patching practice" used by many MMOs out there, you don't change the game in the middle of a progression season and expect people to not unsub
    I'd wager it is the exact opposite of what MMos typically do.

From their POV we have:
    1. A boss encounter is not working as intended.
    2. Tweak the classes so they can overcome it, don't fix the mechanic.

Most MMOs:
    1. A boss encounter is not working as intended.
    2. Fix the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthas View Post
    This topic is just further proof that you can give a negative spin to everything.

The specific classes are not what I'm getting at here. I'm worried about a reverse design philosophy that in future, when we get some piece of content with a gaping hole in it... they will instead of fixing it, tweak everyone's characters around it.

Where/if a specific class needs a fix, this is the wrong justification for it.

Think past the short term, look at what this kind of justification can speak to for the long term future.

Looks like everyone who's responded to me thinks I was referring to the specific patch and warrior vs. paladin, and has completely missed that I'm trying to get at the heart of their design philosophy...
    - that I feel their reasons for picking what to patch are backwards - even if they end up patching the right thing this time... the logic is backwards.
    (0)
    Last edited by Makeda; 11-02-2013 at 01:42 AM.
    Striving for perfection is the path to one's downfall. 'Tis the paradox of the immaculate carrot. | Jah Bless. One God, One Aim, and One Destiny - Marcus Garvey.
    Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war - Ras Tafari.

Player
    Character
    Jayvir Deforte
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Are you referring to Turn 1 or Turn 2? Turn 1, as a Warrior, I can hold it through 4 stacks and generally by the 5th I die. The Paladins usually will die about the same time. Turn 2, I can survive 6 to 7 stacks on my Warrior whereas the Paladins in my group can only take 5. I really think that this is all about Hallowed Ground, and honestly a 10 sec cooldown is not a game changer.
    (0)

Character
    Neru Silverlight
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthas View Post

- SE buffs WAR so they can survive the same stuff as PLDs -> "SE you suck! Why don't you fix what's broken!"
    - SE nerfs PLDs so they can't survive stuff that they were never meant to survive -> "SE you suck! Why are you forcing us to play like you want us to play!"
    Missing the ones that will say:
    OMG SE, you fixed the encounter now it's too hard to accomplish espcially if you don't have the gear. ALL THOSE OTHERS DID IT THE EASY WAY, WHY MUST WE SUFFER HARD INTENDED WAYS? WHY THEY CAN AND WE CANT??
    (0)

Player

The specific classes are not what I'm getting at here. I'm worried about a reverse design philosophy that in future, when we get some piece of content with a gaping hole in it... they will instead of fixing it, tweak everyone's characters around it.

Where/if a specific class needs a fix, this is the wrong justification for it.

Think past the short term, look at what this kind of justification can speak to for the long term future.

Looks like everyone who's responded to me thinks I was referring to the specific patch and warrior vs. paladin, and has completely missed that I'm trying to get at the heart of their design philosophy...
    - that I feel their reasons for picking what to patch are backwards - even if they end up patching the right thing this time... the logic is backwards.
    The specific classes mentioned in my post also wasn't what I was getting at.

Like I said, its a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

They nerf the overpowered class, people complain.

They buff the underpowered class, people complain.

Though honestly, people usually don't complain as much when a class is buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by NeruMew View Post
    Missing the ones that will say:

OMG SE, you fixed the encounter now it's too hard to accomplish espcially if you don't have the gear. ALL THOSE OTHERS DID IT THE EASY WAY, WHY MUST WE SUFFER HARD INTENDED WAYS? WHY THEY CAN AND WE CANT??
    Lol, yeah, there's that too.
    (0)
    Last edited by Gilthas; 11-02-2013 at 01:54 AM.