Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Buster Posey
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Is every servers' revenant's toll the same? You have FCs spamming like they are gold sellers constantly shouting their titan kill service. Also a ton of emote spam.

Then you have plenty of players that quit after one or two tries in any content.

You have players that try to gimp content every chance they get.

Definitely there was a huge difference in player base compared to ffxi.
    (2)
    Last edited by Doo; 11-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Player
    Character
    Meneyota Kunyaa
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
    Not really. MMOs were the playground of true gentlemen before they went mainstream and pulled in the call of duty audience. Now it's nothing but 12 year olds trying to be as edgy and mean spirited as possible in some bid for validation which in turn gives a boost to their abysmally low self esteem. There were a few bad apples back then, but they didn't define the demographic like they do now. Forum communities were always toxic, even back then, but in-game was such a pleasant experience. No one wanted to be "that guy", since having a poor reputation on your server was a death sentence before this dungeon finder nonsense.
    This reads like description of the 1950's ( which was also mythical)

Quote Originally Posted by Doo View Post
    Is every servers' revenant's toll the same? You have FCs spamming like they are gold sellers constantly shouting their titan kill service. Also a ton of emote spam

Definitely there was a huge difference in player base compared to ffxi.

Yeah, in XI they did that in Jeuno... Like real skilled players?
    (6)
    Last edited by Pandastirfry; 11-01-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Player
    Character
    Soube Miseux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    ...what made it special?
    Nostalgia.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Tyla Esmeraude
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I never got bothered by XI's elitism, I guess, because, it was mostly done in a civilized manner. It was mostly sharing experiences and opinions on how to perform on jobs. I never saw any bashing for having a different opinion. There were the obvious trolls here and there but were far in between. There were elitist shells filled with good people who liked hanging/goofing around and were really good experienced players, then there were elitist shells filled with experienced know-it-all jerks. That's what made them different. I was lucky enough to end up in the first type of shell.

Oh.. and also. People had a VIRTUE called PATIENCE. Unlike in this community... haha.
    (3)
    Last edited by Tyla_Esmeraude; 11-01-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: :c

Player
    Character
    Doctor Beatbox
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    ITT: Selective memory at its finest.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Belldonna Angelimuiex
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    The biggest difference for me was, since the game was sooooo damn hard, only the people that really wanted to play stuck around. I don't think it made them any different or better/worse, but you definitely had to be committed.

I've also run into a kind of reverse nostalgia lately. I know I had fun in XI, I'm sure a few others did, but since other/better things have come along, suddenly the old things are the worst things ever.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yu Zeneolsia
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    FFXI came out in a time when it was normal to grind for months, where reaching level cap was not a rush job. The mmorpg community wants to level faster, do the dungeons faster and play the game as a singleplayer, untill they reach endgame when they have no choice, but to play with others. We want to achieve everything faster and we want developers to release more content faster.

Right now we are in GOGOGO community and sadly this will not change. Afcourse this does not count for every player, but developers will listen to the majority and the majority wants to do everything faster.

I enjoyed playing it, but if FFXI were to be released in 2013, the game would fail badly.
    (5)
    Last edited by Laerune; 11-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Player
    Character
    M'leineya Leoh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I miss teamworking myself as it built communities of people who were willing to help because they too had to suffer. The simplification of the games from being grindy and requiring strategy into being get from 1-99 in less than 48 hours and removal of the need to camp monsters because now you can spawn them or buy the gear with unique currency has resulted in lazy, impatient and sloppy players. Can't be bothered to play the game for days to get to 99? Join a team of level 99s to fight high level mobs whilst you sit there soaking up all the xp. Don't have the skills, gear or players to fight a high level boss for you? Pay a geared level 99 to solo it for you with an item that makes him as powerful as a god. No more requirement for foods, medicines or lower level gear. In fact, why not just give me a level 99 character fully geared so that I too can sit in Jeuno/Adoulin all day whilst posting in forums my gear sets that lesser advantage players can only dream of?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Meneyota Kunyaa
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl101 View Post
    I miss teamworking myself as it built communities of people who were willing to help because they too had to suffer. The simplification of the games from being grindy and requiring strategy into being get from 1-99 in less than 48 hours and removal of the need to camp monsters because now you can spawn them or buy the gear with unique currency has resulted in lazy, impatient and sloppy players. Can't be bothered to play the game for days to get to 99? Join a team of level 99s to fight high level mobs whilst you sit there soaking up all the xp. Don't have the skills, gear or players to fight a high level boss for you? Pay a geared level 99 to solo it for you with an item that makes him as powerful as a god. No more requirement for foods, medicines or lower level gear. In fact, why not just give me a level 99 character fully geared so that I too can sit in Jeuno/Adoulin all day whilst posting in forums my gear sets that lesser advantage players can only dream of?

Yeah all that started in the post Abyssea Era and with WoW. Certainly no one at k NA launch if XI had lvl Cap WHM's standby and heal their party as they took on mobs way beyond their lvl, No one got their lvl 75 friends to solo the skeletons in the Necroplois for their papyrus, Certainly didn't get lvl capped friends to help them breeze through the Genkais or AF quests... Nope that's a recent development.

Player
    Character
    Bel Rumpelstiltzkin
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    I don't mind that this game is different from XI, there are good and bad points with that. I won't be playing it anymore though, but I think the biggest issue I have is that there are no alternatives, every game is like XIV ARR is and those of us who enjoy something different can only go play 10+ year old games.
    (3)

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast