Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Big Butcher
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50

[[ Why do we miss the old FFXI community ]] What made it special ??

I think because most of the players back then were old players they had something called patience, i remember my first party to valkrum dunes was fun even though we died alot of times from gobs and linking, no off us got mad at other players if they sucked at healing or had bad dps gear and most of the time we laughed at how tarutaru die facing the ground and galkas tea bagging them it was all about having fun
    (41)

Player
    Character
    Orsnoire Le'oxe
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    TBH you remember a different FF XI community than many other people.

All of those things definitely happened in FF XI. My contention is that the reason you remember it differently is nostalgia.

Edit: and by "those things" I mean the mean attacks on other players, elitist tearing down their gear, assaulting a low-skill or new player for not knowing things, etc. etc.
    (26)

Player
    Character
    Syn Maris
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    The biggest Myth in MMO History: XI's "Kick Ass" Community.
    (32)

Player
    Character
    Psxpert Sylph
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I remember the same exact thing. I was telling a friend of mine how bored I was just waiting around and she would just say, "it's cool!" There's a reason why I had to wait around with my "seek-flag" up and I found that out later with my first party.

I was still a level 11 warrior , in the dunes and OMG mobs were still tougher when they checked Tough or Incredibly Tough. It was like epic and endgame for me.
    (6)
    Last edited by PSxpert2011; 11-01-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Character
    Sinth Reborn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 52
    XI's community was great simply because the content of the game was so impossible to do on your own and forming a group to complete said content typically took hours on its own. This resulted in people being much more helpful and tolerant as they couldn't quickly leave and find another group immediately.

The content and features of the game forced the community to work together. Sure it had its bad apples, but they were much fewer and farther between simply due to the fact that if they acted out and ruined a party, they weren't just wasting everyone else's time, but a significant amount of their own as well.

Also, you could /slap people who got out of line.
    (65)
    Last edited by Sinth; 11-01-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Player
    Character
    Psxpert Sylph
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinth View Post
    XI's community was great simply because the content of the game was so impossible to do on your own and forming a group to complete said content typically took hours on its own.
    100% agree (cuz I'm bias and IDC care for other MMOs)
    FFXI in its golden gears was great in it's own right. Not only did it carry the brand title "Final Fantasy", it was deemed a "Glorified Chat room" were friends would hook up. Relationships were born just because "players were forced to communicate" and form parties and strategies. It was truely a challenge, and I say my first NM wipe the floor with would-be noobs back then(as they try to run for dear life) at the zone. EPIC!

Oh Gods forbit they do the same thing with XIV! The horror! /sarcsasm
    (35)
    Last edited by PSxpert2011; 11-01-2013 at 06:08 AM.

~'\[[_LEGACY_]]/'~
    TENTs because solo-friendly content forces me to want one!
    (HP + Instantly logout anywhere)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/my/
    *Excalibur* Nation: Limsa Laminsa

Player
    Character
    Bustaballs Bbot
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinth View Post
    XI's community was great simply because the content of the game was so impossible to do on your own and forming a group to complete said content typically took hours on its own. This resulted in people being much more helpful and tolerant as they couldn't quickly leave and find another group immediately.

The content and features of the game forced the community to work together. Sure it had its bad apples, but they were much fewer and farther between simply due to the fact that if they acted out and ruined a party, they weren't just wasting everyone else's time, but a significant amount of their own as well

Also, you could /slap people who got out of line.
    FFXI had the best community I've EVER experience in ANY game EVER. And the design for the game was a significant contributing factor.
    (33)

Player
    Character
    Tazo Yoshi
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    The main thing about 11 that I liked the most was that certain gear set(s) that you work for, end up being the best in the game, nothing surpasses it....but still find something to work for after you get it. The only bad experience I had in that game was being in a group with someone with a Rajas ring. When I asked him about it, he replied with a snark comment. This is before Abessya or w/e its called, before the lvl cap increase.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Gihon Jotunn
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Sure I remember sitting in town for 3-4 hours a night LFP as a DD. What great times!

If FFXI came out today no one would play it.
    (17)

Player
    Character
    Sunarie Rymshek
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 70
    I think this may need to be changed to FFXI's community at launch or something similar. I, and many others I've seen on this forum.. who tried to join the game late (say, a year or two after it's release) were met with hostility and elitism to the point where we quit the game entirely.
    (8)

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast