Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Ice Beam
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 17
    Anyone know where I can buy these nostalgia goggles and deluded mind cap?
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Santori Zhonets
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox View Post
    First-love-syndrome.
    Reminiscence threads more often than not boil down to this. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It's just that in the midst of being wide-eyed with wonder and newness the first time around, people see things differently. Then when the next thing comes along, many look past the basics and tiny details that were a big part of the initial experience, and even decide what to do or not to do based partly on experiences in previous games.

Plus, I think people in MMOs settle into sort of separate layers. People having their first-time experience are focused on that and find others doing the same thing. At the opposite end, long-time ("lifestyle"?) MMO players are all about fast leveling and being first to get all the toys, and associate with people doing the same. In between are multiple layers based on experience and goals. The "old [game] community" is alive and well, just down in those other layers.

ARR will be a first MMO for many people. They'll be posting these type of threads in the years to come. FWIW: FFXI was my first.
    (3)
    Last edited by ArkhamNative; 11-01-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Player
    People are often too quick to dismiss people enjoying FFXI as "Nostalgia or First love syndrom"

It's a flimsy place to start your argument, why not tell us why you think FFXI wasn't good instead of just dismissing people with a wave of your hand. Everyone understands that XI wasn't perfect but it was a unique beast among a sea of clones and it did what it did with a passion. I personally don't feel the same passion in XIV currently hopefully we will someday.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Her Majesty
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    XI's community was perceived to be "great" for a few reasons. First, there were no name changes or server transfers to start, coupled with the fact that it took so ridiculously long to progresss through any aspect of the game that rerolling was simply out of the question, forcing player accountability. Second, there were no official forums where people could go to bitch and moan and disagree with each other about every last detail of the game so everyone was under the illusion that the entire playerbase was comprised of like minded, polite individuals. Third, you had to group up to accomplish nearly anything, seasonal events included. It forced players to form bonds through performing incredibly long and miserable tasks like leveling up by killing the same monster that did the same attacks in the same spot for 5 hours just for a level, 2 if you were lucky. What better way to form friendships? Sure you were bored out of your mind but at least you had each other. <3
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Suph Heiral
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Because after 2-3 hours of leveling, waiting between pulls, we start to talk and avatars turn humans?
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Buster Posey
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    People are often too quick to dismiss people enjoying FFXI as "Nostalgia or First love syndrom"

It's a flimsy place to start your argument, why not tell us why you think FFXI wasn't good instead of just dismissing people with a wave of your hand. Everyone understands that XI wasn't perfect but it was a unique beast among a sea of clones and it did what it did with a passion. I personally don't feel the same passion in XIV currently hopefully we will someday.

White Knight Syndrome
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Fael Drakemore
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    I liked FFXI for what i played, i played from NA launch up to 70 and left during Treasures Expansion. FFXI's time sink caused me to be expelled via not performing enough on academic probation from my university.
    The NUMBER ONE contributor to people having rosy goggles on about older online games is this: Lack of Viral Information Networks and Youtube Walkthroughs of everything and the majority of the playerbase did not participate in forum discussions, they discussed things, god forbid, IN GAME, even if you're pissing and moaning IN-GAME, you're building community.
    So #1: Keeping the players uninformed, forcing them to inform themselves through experience or coordinating with a small group of people instead of 100,000 forum users from across the globe.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Flash Silver
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    I met 2 of my greatest online friends in XI. I have known them for years now. I play with them on XIV now.

I cannot imagine the same thing happening in XIV to carry onto another game.

I admit I am nostalgic. I do miss XI pre-WOTG/AU

I loved XI
    I loved 1.0
    I love ARR
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Evangela Monterossa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    You can play FFXI, the game still running ya know.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Yoko Ceres
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by LobsterBisque View Post
    Sure I remember sitting in town for 3-4 hours a night LFP as a DD. What great times!

If FFXI came out today no one would play it.
    If FFXI have Graphical Enhancement identically as FFXIV: ARR, and have a new start, back to 0, with somes changes, some new stories, keep the cap to Lv.75 with new lands or old land modified, having some FFXIV ideas for FFXI like the crafting system. having a new interface (hello skillbars, can you hear me ?!), then yes, it would make a lot of ppl to return and a lot of ppl to join it, because there is to much things to do, and at every level (tho it's mandatory !), it's time consuming, but you dont log on doing nothing.
    (4)
    Last edited by Nexxus; 11-02-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Il est possible de dépassé la limite des 1ooo caractères, il suffit d'éditer son post ~

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast