Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Misty Mew
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I started ffxi shortly after its NA release, and I would have to say the community wasn't "special" , simply more naïve and definitely less scarred then todays communities.

MMOS were somewhat a new experience, like a shiny new toy, very much captivating people in a huge new world filled with things to experience. It was also very much filled with elitism, cruelty, and all around bad behavior as much as with helpful, patient and good natured souls. The "bad" was more subtle and quiet ,( tbh ppl had to be phoney to advance with SOME group/ls which is just as bad as outright shouting insults).. as it is in todays mmos but it existed and still does to this day in xi.

Over the years mmos have become common place, so many about and all we do is knee jerk compare one to the other and never really giving any a chance, not always because they are not good, but because we are subconsciously trying to get those same nostalgia feelings we had so many years ago.

Sadly those feelings can never be felt again, you simply cant turn back the clock on your own personal feelings. Like that unbelievable excitement many once felt on Christmas eve...once that's gone from growing up...it never ever returns no matter how much you want it to.

So I would have to say the only thing that made it "better" was the fact that the players were newer to mmos and have yet to damaged/conditioned from years and years of bad behavior.

Not many mmos stand a chance now a days ..we are all judgemental since none can actually replace those feeling we can never have again. Human response is to either leave the game or do like so many do...lash out, blame the community, the game designers...anyone and anything without realizing its our own expectations that are unrealistic and not obtainable.
    (4)

MORE HIGH HEELS + INSTANCED HOUSING! !

Player
    Character
    Dokutoru Gwydion
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I was in end game for a few months when I finally realized how much my LS just didn't care about lesser individuals and so I jumped to a better crowd. That's how most communities are, its up to you to surround yourself with people of similar mindset. Forming a static for COP missions, leveling group 2x a week, LS events...it was extremely social and people needed to understand that its like real life, you gotta surround yourself with people that you get along with, the friction and drama was never worth it. But admittedly its pretty hard to get to know random strangers to build up to that level. While I felt close to some of my LS people, I'm not in contact with anyone today and the only ppl I knew who played XI are 3 RL friends who play with me now.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    King Deimos
    World
    Tiamat
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    trying not to remember ffxi through rose tinted glasses..the comparison between ffxiv and ffxi's community isn't much. i see alot of nice people in ffxiv like i did in ffxi. there's just alot of easily accessible content to do in ffxiv. i'd bet if you slowed down the pace of ffxiv to ffxi's level then the communities would be near identical.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Wobble Wibblewobb
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunarie View Post
    I think this may need to be changed to FFXI's community at launch or something similar. I, and many others I've seen on this forum.. who tried to join the game late (say, a year or two after it's release) were met with hostility and elitism to the point where we quit the game entirely.
    This is the real truth of most peoples experience. To bad FFXIV ARR came out of the gate this way.
    (1)

Character
    Scootaloo Dash
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by SynMaris View Post
    The biggest Myth in MMO History: XI's "Kick Ass" Community.
    Says the player who most likely rage quitted when he didn't land a valkum dunes party in 3 mins flat.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ferria Svensa
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 60
    Surprising how people forgot about jobs being radically excluded from parties (like DRG) or all the stealing, drama and bullshit in sky or Dragons Aery.
    FFXI was as toxic as FFXIV, you just have a big nostalgia.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Amberion Eurelt
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I can't comment on FFXI having the best community of all MMOs... Since well, I haven't been a part of every MMO community.

But if you go back and check old threads on FFXI.allakhazam.com, I bet you will find less % of drama threads then here.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Syn Maris
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootaloo View Post
    Says the player who most likely rage quitted when he didn't land a valkum dunes party in 3 mins flat.
    Actually no, I played for 7 years, full Homam, and Hecatomb, was close to a relic but never finished, after I finished Nyzul Isle I lost the desire to play.
    And 4 75's, the only part about the XI community I enjoyed were the RL friends I played with, aside from that it was a lot of pompous, inflated ego, douchers which you can't avoid they are in every MMO, but I dislike when people make XI out to be like this perfect MMO that didn't have any of that, hell I was guilty of elitism now and then.
    (1)
    Last edited by SynMaris; 11-01-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Player
    Character
    Areon Maere
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 22
    While i don't think FFXI's players were any more friendly or "special", it is fact that the gameplay of FFXI required more socialization. That alone is bound to give people good memories, or at least strong memories, whether they like it or not.
    (3)

Character
    Solo Playa
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberion View Post
    I can't comment on FFXI having the best community of all MMOs... Since well, I haven't been a part of every MMO community.

But if you go back and check old threads on FFXI.allakhazam.com, I bet you will find less % of drama threads then here.
    Allakhazam rarely has any drama, if you look at the ARR forums, it's nowhere near as toxic as these forums.
    (0)

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast