Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Player
    The game demanded community interactions the game didn't have any qualms with telling you that you couldn't progress at certain points without the help of others. The length of the overall leveling process also fostered a community due to the necisity of contacts and communication.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Qarin Lor'rissan
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    You mean the self conceited, insular community that heavily discriminated against anyone that didn't have their same views? That still pine for a game model that it's own developers killed off 3 years ago?

It was special because of nostalgia, that's it. The greatest threat to FFXIV future is importing the hostile, selfish community that plagued FFXI.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Aliane Redwyne
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 80
    I'm gonna make a bold food analogy.

FFXIV is like a good new buffet, fast, you get in, taste everything if you want or focus on the things you like, some combination of food may get you a stomach ache if you just combine whatever in you plate and eat it like there was no tomorrow. Depending on your pacing you can leave full or not so full. Often you go there with friends and have a good time and depending on your friends the meal may be pleasant cuz they recommend some of the things they have tried. Or you can be sad and go alone but heck since its a buffet nobody is watching and nobody cares, you can totally go eatthere alone and still have a nice meal if a little awkward.

XI was like that restaurant that you have heard of but though few people try it because the name and menu sound expensive, on opening it required reservation for your friends and it took forever to order something. But then you taste the food, it was made with care and not just salt to disguise its taste like most fast food chains. But there was no tables for one, its a fancy restaurant after all, being there alone was something not well seen, the restaurant is not going to deny you service but it wont also serve something less than salads for 2. The menu had a very specific way of ordering, you cant start with desert after all. This restaurant was not for the ones that just wanted to ease hunger, it was more about the experience, the service was slow and meals expensive, but every one of them special and rewarding to your taste buds.

All in all, very different experiences, people can enjoy both and to a certain degree its OK to expect some features intermix, FFXI ended up being more easy on the casuals, a little too late, but that restaurant eventually drooped reservations and could sit one in a table with scaled down prices for those meals, and its ok to expect a nice service and quality of food on a buffet (or at least you start to identify the ones that are of your liking and evaluate if that justifies the price of admission)

Also, jerks and nice people can visit both places and usually do... you might be sitting next to the birthday kid table in the buffet and be anoyed by all the noise, or you can be sitting besides the table with the rich douches that treat the waitress like sh1t at the fancy restaurant... so.. annoying people and jerks exist everywhere you can have both nice and bad experiences in any kind of restaurant.
    (19)
    Last edited by jazo; 11-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Character
    Andrien Bellcross
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    This thread should go here.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/forum.php
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Loki Vanheim
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    So many good memories on the xi! And ya i have never met this kind of community on another MMO.

Anyway the xiv v1 community wasn't like what we have with ARR so the real cause is the game itself and how it is created.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Chococo Cobo
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    So many good memories on the xi! And ya i have never met this kind of community on another MMO.

Anyway the xiv v1 community wasn't like what we have with ARR so the real cause is the game itself and how it is created.
    so true actually. The dungeon grinds forces people to be efficient in order not to "waste time". v1 dungeons did somewhat force people to speed run, but at the end of the day it all depended on luck with the final treasure chests and so being fast did not necessarily mean faster progress. (in general terms of course)
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Tymora Estrellauta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    The community was good because people either learn to get along with others nicely or they quit game because they can't progress.
    Jerks are weeded out pretty quickly.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Noria Vi'natsumi
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Mainly because even tho it took 6 hours to get a tank, someone didnt rage quit out over one mistake 2 hours into a grinding party.
    Needless to say this community is horrible when it comes to manners and gaming Etiquet,
    they feel that even tho thts a person your dealing with, it doesnt pretain to real life.
    you sure as heck wouldnt treat your co-workers the same way you treat your fellow FFXIV players.
    (8)
    Last edited by Nori_natsu; 11-01-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Player
    Character
    Ava Adore
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by busta View Post
    If FFXI came out today with modern graphics, it would have way more players than it did when it was previously released. And I'd be one of those players.
    I HIGHLY doubt that. the only reason FFXI was so successful when it first came out was because there were not 50.000 alternatives and it had a relatively strong IP. hell. it's why I played it and thought WoW would soon disappear (I was ignorant enough to think the warcraft ip wasn't strong enough for an MMO)

looking back though I realise that the game wasn't nearly as great as I made it - even to my friends - sound. I honestly used to think that it was great that people were forced to be nice to each other - not actually liking each other. I really, honestly, for the longest time thought people .interacted. with each other when they killed crabs for hours.

then I started playing other MMOs. D&D and LOTRO in particular made me really really aware that yes, there is ACTUAL community possible in an MMO. I'm not trying to talk down FFXI either. I spent 3 amazingly fun years in that game. but I grew up and with growing up came the realisation that boygroups don't make amazing music I can identify with, if you know what I mean.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Cesil Rapture
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I do and don't miss the FFXI community. I don't miss the bullying and ridiculous unjustified grudges people held. On the other hand I do miss the good social aspects of the game ; ; I met so many amazing people in that game...

LOL most of the people I know from FFXIV are people I knew from FFXI or people from my cosplay tumblr page XD
    (2)

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast