3) Don't use Flash/Circle of Scorn
    4) Don't be aware of your positioning
    5) Don't cycle target/attack to monitor/hold threat on multiple enemies
    6) Use Provoke on something already attacking you
    7) Don't follow provoke up with a shield lob or combo'd Rage of Halone
    8) Be impatient
    9) Don't listen
    10) Don't learn

Wanna be a good one? Do the exact opposite of that.

Just to go into a little more explanation of why you want to be doing these things:

Communicate
    Communication is key when progressing through content, obviously if you're running the same content with the same people over and over, communication becomes less important as you all learn how eachother play and can anticipate what eachother will do. But with random people you just meet in the Duty Finder have no clue what to expect from you, so let them know.

Mark enemies
    Marking enemies lets your party know what they should be killing. If you aren't marking them, and they are attacking something you don't want them to, then you have no right to complain when they pull off you.

Use Flash/Circle of Scorn
    Flash is not good enough to hold threat on it's own, but it isn't negligible. Using Circle of Scorn/Flash after a Shield Lob with CoS being off GCD is a great way to start AoE pulls. I view Flash as an extension, it's not going to generate a substantial amount of threat, but it's enough to hold something as long as it isn't being focused or heavily AoE'd.

Be aware of your positioning
    Positioning is very important, face enemies away from your group, be aware of what mobs are chained together and where they can be pulled. Pay attention to what is going on around the party, keep a look out for adds and pats that may get pulled.

Cycle target/attack to monitor/hold threat on multiple enemies
    As mentioned previously, Flash is not enough to hold AoE threat if all the enemies are being attacked by AoE. You will still need to use Flash, but also rotate between your targets to monitor their threat. Fast Blade > Savage Blade > And Rage of Halone will stay combo'd when you switch targets, and using Circle of Scorn/Flash will not break their chain either. So rotate between your targets, and use a combo'd Rage of Halone on anything you're about to lose threat on. This can take a lot of focus when dealing with 3 or more enemies, but pretty fun when you get the hang of it.

Don't Use Provoke on something already attacking you
    Provoke is not an instant hate button, or a set amount of enmity that will continue adding to what you have. All it does is set your enmity to highest in the group +1. Which means if you're using it on something already attacking you, you just generated 1 enmity.

Follow Provoke up with a shield lob or combo'd Rage of Halone
    Mentioned above all it does is set you to the highest in the group +1, so if all you do is Provoke, and then that BRD hits it in the face, it's going right back to the BRD, you HAVE to immediately re-establish a lead in enmity, which is why having a combo'd Rage of Halone ready for this is ideal.

Be Patient
    Nobody is perfect, everyone needs to learn. As many have mentioned in other threads groups naturally look to the tanks to know every encounter and pull by heart, and are very quick to point out our mistakes. Sometimes the things said are accurate, and you shouldn't take offense right away. Obviously there is a limit, but try to be understanding and patient with these people anyway, they've been waiting for you to join their queue for hours, they're just a little cranky.

Listen
    If someone is trying to teach you something new, at the very least hear them out. There is more than one way do some things, and just because someone does something differently, does not mean it's worse, or the wrong way to do it. Even if you are leading your party and communicating, that goes both ways, be open to what your party is trying to tell you. If your healer can't keep up with how fast you're pulling, slow down.

Learn
    We are expected to know every encounter like the back of our hands, and quite honestly, we should. It's fine to not know something, but learn from your experiences. If you run a dungeon 30 times, you should know everything about it. Being able to give a quick explanation of key mechanics before a fight is extremely helpful for anyone who may have never been there before.

More things you want to do if you wanna be a bad PLD:
    11) Use Rage of Halone. Not the Rage of Halone *combo*. Just Rage of Halone.

(The difference in enmity generated between a combo'd Rage of Halone and not is IMMENSE! Rage of Halone generates enmity equal to damage dealt times 10 (in shield oath). Which means hitting just Rage of Halone for like 79 damage will generate 790 enmity. Hitting them for 300 with a combo'd one will generate 3000. This is assuming shield Oath doubles your multiplier, if it isn't and something like 1.2-1.5, these numbers would look something like, non-combo'd generating between 474-593, and a combo'd one generating between 1800-2250.)

12) Stand in avoidable AoEs/casts
    Example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
    In AK, the first boss regularly casts Void Thunder that can be dodged by just running behind the boss during the ability's 3 second cast, and I've seen *so* many PLD tanks just eat it because "the healer will take care of it". The blob boss in WP is the same: it casts Fire, which just so happens to be 90% of the damage the tank will take, and it can be completely avoided by just running behind the boss.
    13) Don't Stun/Silence key abilities. (These change from fight to fight)
    (14)
    Last edited by Sephirah; 11-01-2013 at 07:14 AM.

http://youtu.be/gGJPq1qmtrk - PLD Controller Tanking AK with no UI video

Player
    Character
    Adol Giantbane
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    1 step to being a bad paladin

1) miss and hit your head on your desk as you attempt to roll your face across your keyboard

remember, aim carefully
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Kitru Kitera
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    You forgot step 11: Use Rage of Halone. Not the Rage of Halone *combo*. Just Rage of Halone.

I've met *so many* bad PLDs and WARs that just spam BB/RoH without doing the combo and I have to headdesk every single time.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Aria Placida
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 88
    You forgot step 11: Use Rage of Halone. Not the Rage of Halone *combo*. Just Rage of Halone.

I've met *so many* bad PLDs and WARs that just spam BB/RoH without doing the combo and I have to headdesk every single time.
    Replace "Rage of Halone" with "Shield Lob." Yeah. . .
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Elysia Mazda
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 50
    There are also the ones who use Riot Blade -> Flash over and over. Those are a treat.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Unne Choraster
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephirah View Post
    2) Don't mark enemies
    After a while of DPS not following the marks you kinda just go to hell with it and not bother anymore :/
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Mose Vial
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by 00039 View Post
    After a while of DPS not following the marks you kinda just go to hell with it and not bother anymore :/
    This.
    I don't use rage of halone combo after a provoke I just rage of halone, at lvl 30 works well enough, but yes I've seen every bad paladin do everything mentioned here. Until I saw the post about riot blade - flash spam....I hit my head on my desk lol god some people are bad xD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aria Placida
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 88
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaking55 View Post
    Until I saw the post about riot blade - flash spam....I hit my head on my desk lol god some people are bad xD
    Yeah, I've seen Fast->Savage->Shield Lob->Shield Lob->Savage->Lob. . .

I've also seen people try to MT Ifrit using literally nothing but Rage.

Fun times all around.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eborel Kreuz
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Do add in

12) Doze off while pulling a large group

I have done that personally. HAHA!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Arkista Valentine
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by 00039 View Post
    I got PLD to 50 Monday and started doing AK cause I had almost all Hopelite gear and I marked mobs 1-3 and the DPS still would do there own thing its BS so I stopped wasting time and added marking1 to Shield Lob.

Also people who have Relic+1 should know better.
    (6)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast