Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

I wish I could experience the 1.23 combat

I've seen it mentioned time and time again since Beta was practically an unpolished gem that was just about to shine. Unfortunately, due to me having no source of income and very pitiful PCs (even now), I was not able to experience 1.0 myself.

So, when I see these veterans praising the combat of version 1.23, my curiosity immediately becomes piqued. Sure, I could look up videos of how it was, but we all know how watching MMO combat is. Without all the context, we're not getting the full picture, and if we don't have the full picture, it's dull to watch. Even action-oriented MMOs can suffer from that.

This is why I'd like to make an (admittedly outrageous) request to release a sort-of 'beta/test' client that makes use of the combat found in 1.23 rather than what we have now. Purely for the purpose of having those like myself who have been intrigued about the combat trying it out for ourselves and gaining that bit of satisfaction. Perhaps even if a majority of us prefer the 1.23 version combat to what we have now it may convince Square-Enix to integrate it or combine it with the current system in future updates.

I'm not asking for a full client built the old system, mind you. That wouldn't be fair. On the (very off) chance that SE happens to decide to satiate this curiosity, I believe it would be best if this test was done as a single instanced dungeon on a different client. No character creation necessary. Pre-made, max level characters with all the current jobs to feel the experience in full (for the most part).

Now, I want to make it clear that this is not a demand. This suggestion is incredibly outlandish and I realize Square-Enix have much better things to do with their time and resources than to bring up the past. I just really want to know for myself how the combat in 1.23 was like. With own hands. To see what the veterans are so nostalgic about. What I missed out on. So, since I can't go back in time, it'd be really cool if they did do something like this, even if it was temporary. I'd gladly pay to play it as well.

Also, before you begin bashing on the 1.23 combat and such . . . don't bother. There's no need and it wouldn't even serve a purpose in this thread. You can't alter my opinion of something I haven't experienced myself. That's why I continue to have no opinion of FFXIII even after the constant complaining/criticizing people do about it.
    (15)
    Last edited by Vensaval; 10-26-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Repeated words somehow.

Player
    Character
    Odsarzol Que
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Well, in short let's put it this way:

1.23:
    Combo System - Many positioning requirements and other factors met (i.e dodge/missed an attack/evade/under x effect etc)
    ARR:
    Combo System - Very very few positioning requirements that hardly matters outside of Monk.

1.23:
    Battle System in General - The game was on an engine not suited for MMOs so it had some core problems, so if you wish to have experienced it, take what we got with ARR now and add depth and more involvement into it ontop of gear actually meaning something:

I'm also in the camp that 1.23's battle system was better and assumed ARR's would have been an extension of it, making it even better.
    (31)

Player
    Character
    Atmospear Zero
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    i am hoping they layer the combat involvement back in at least in sprinkles
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Van Yves
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    Regardless of the popularity of mindless 1.0 bashing around here, the original version did many things right. Combat was one of those things.(1.23 version especially) When the dev team asked the player base what it was they wanted, the vocal majority begged for major changes to game as a whole.... So the team went to work revamping/replacing everything about the game.(including the combat) Ironically, many of the same players who spoke out against 1.0 now rant and complain about ARR. ...In short, be careful what you wish for...

Another way to say it might be, maybe the "vocal majority" of players don't always know best.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Virtus Kerensky
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    It had a lot of problems due to the engine but one thing I do miss was the need for collaboration between players. An example, Tanks had a move that would take all the hate from a party members attack. So they would use it on my BLM and we would need to communicate to each other when it was up for use so I would then slam a whole group of mobs hard with a massive aoe that helped with my role of killing but also the tanks role of holding hate.

Now in 2.0 it's all every one does their own thing. It's almost a lonelier existence. Once you learn the fight mechanics there's no real need to communicate. Then again you couldn't talk here anyways because of the constant run and gun mentality of the endless waves of AOE's this version shoves in your face at every corner. I miss being able to think, plan and communicate my next move vs just spamming my rotation and running for dear life every 10 seconds.

But I understand why they changed things. Standing still in one spot and having to talk through battles doesn't make for the most exciting of videos or really be welcoming to the casuals.
    (11)
    Last edited by Virtuso; 10-26-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Player
    Character
    Odsarzol Que
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Yep, basically tanks would have a BLM fully buff then drop a powerful nuke and be planted with solid enmity for..basically the rest of the fight assuming they know how to tank lol.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zemus Asara
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    is there a database that still preserves the 1.0 items and skills? During beta it was still up but now I cant seem to find it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Odsarzol Que
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by azethoth View Post
    is there a database that still preserves the 1.0 items and skills? During beta it was still up but now I cant seem to find it.
    http://ffxiv.mozk-tabetai.com/
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Atamos Vesperae
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 60
    Someone is actually working on an emulator for the original FFXIV, so it may be possible to try the old battle system if the guy behind this project can make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKmJQoWJew
    (3)
    Last edited by Atamos; 10-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zemus Asara
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupsi View Post
    Thanks a bunch, wanted to see the old item buffs. Cheers. It is missing skills though. Ill keep searching for that.

EDIT:
    Found it on Zam
    http://ffxiv.zam.com/en/abilitylist....class=8&page=2
    this is link to lancer. Man I miss the thm possibilities before they went elemental.
    (1)
    Last edited by azethoth; 10-26-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast