Player
    Character
    Raist Soulforge
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewgraf View Post
    There's not much to understand here. We know SE does not own the internet. However, they are in control of where to put their servers. They also decide what to say to their customers. The giant 140 page thread started about 2 months ago. There is a ton of traceroute data in there. Is that not enough time and data to figure out what is going on and decide what to do? Running a global MMO is no trivial task, but I feel a better company would react differently in a similar situation.
    The thing is though, it could still happen even if the servers are put in a different location. The issues aren't cropping up and isolated to Montreal. It's rearing it's ugly head at various routing points within the US. We're talking places like Atlanta, Dallas, LA, San Jose, San Diego, Seattle, Chicago, Milwaukee, Jersey, DC, Virginia... others I'm sure I'm forgetting. But they do have something fairly in common: a short list of Internet Service Providers who are unable to efficiently manage the traffic load on their lines. That kind of problem doesn't necessarily disappear just because you move your server. Granted, it has a lot of potential for success in theory---but a lot more is involved here than just moving the server. SE has to have dedicated connections to Japan in the background as well. The NA datacenter is not a standalone farm--it HAS to be in contact with the JP center as well in real time. So, if you start splitting this up into multiple locations now, it becomes a massive logistics nightmare.

More and more it looks like when the communications are good from player to the endpoint, the game runs well. When that communication breaks down, players have issues. Those breakdowns for the most part are happening in the middle, where SE likely can neither identify or address them directly--but the players have a means to at least sniff out clues as to where they may be, and that information can be very useful for the right person to investigate further.

As for the tracert data being posted in here, it is only useful for SE to conduct an investigation if it is sent up the chain. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen often in the user forum sections. The users can forward it through proper channels with the bug reporting pages and sites for both SE and an ISP though. Just because detailed info on a problem is posted here in this forum it doesn't automatically follow that it gets escalated to an actionable phase. That is not how SE intended this forum to function.
    (1)
    Last edited by Raist; 10-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kitai Octavian
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    The point is you're relegating the entire western hemisphere to the same point of origin. It's like trying to push 8-lane traffic through a single file. It's gonna get jammed, there ain't nothing you can do about that.

SQEN needs European servers. They need westcoast servers. They need eastcoast servers. That would solve the issue at hand.

That said, please stop saying it has something to do with our ISP. It doesn't. As soon as our packets leave our ISPs network they are at the mercy of routing tables that are completely out of the ISPs controls, and in the hands of third-party providers. Typically these tables automatically update and correct themselves based on load averages and if a certain router or other goes offline. Note that these things are built to handle a massive amount of traffic; we're talking the bulk of internet traffic going through them at the same time. Once past these major nodes we reach the Montreal nodes. This is where the problem shows up, 99 times of 100. All those nodes prior to this are under a very minor amount of stress, but the Montreal nodes gather them all up - the literal bottleneck - and they are not equipped to handle it. The result is that they get DDOSed.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Kalistos Hawke
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewgraf View Post
    They won't say it's being looked at because they are not trying to solve it?
    Sadly i think your right on the money there!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Johra Burgers
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Even if SE has no control over where users get routed thru. They could at least start opening up new servers in other data centers around the US, and EU. I know even then ppl could still be routed thru bad area's but one could still try each server till they find one they can play on without the routing issues. Its baffling to me and many others why a company would choose a single data center for all its servers for NA/EU... Baffling I say..
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Death Rogue
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 47
    What is this Lag everyone is complaining about? Does it occur during Prime Time Hours or Peak Hours as some have been known to call them? Personally I Tend to shut off all useless programs that are running in the background. and unless someone is downloading on there PC in my household I Have virtually no to very little lag at all...I mean lag spikes and thats quite litterally it LoL....
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rena Cebe
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 1
    That might have been suggested already but, believe me or not (I don't care ), using a VPN really helps, just yesterday after the 2nd 90000 kick from the game, I enabled my VPN and the lag was gone, none of it was there anymore. Other times when it doesn't make it go away completely it at least alleviates the problem, making the lag spikes shorter. I'd guess there's a spot your connection goes through that's just highly congested and a VPN makes it connect through a different spot? (Idk how that really works )
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Mira Seii
    World
    Tiamat
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    The lag occurs for me mostly during primetime only. The lag gradually builds up as the time nears primetime. During the mornings, no lag at all: everything is fine. Afternoon, I start experiencing some random lag spikes. Evenings: it totally sucks. This issue wasn't present for me until 2 weeks ago when I suddenly noticed my ping to server was up to 160 to 210ms all the time; even during the morning. My previous ping was around 55ms to 67ms and I experienced no lag at all even during peak hours. Nothing was changed with my ISP and tracert shows that the higher latency begins once I hit the SE/middleman server. It seems like it's a congestion issue or something since it only happens as the number of users increases. Been waiting for the issue to be resolved every maintenance. Unfortunately, I already subbed for 3 months. Game was still working fine when I subbed. -.-; Hurray for bait and switch.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Thessina Healsyou
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 49
    Can only agree to most of the posters here. This is starting to be a real pain.
    From the beginning, there wasn't too much problem with lagging but the last week it is more or less unplayable. I have died during normal quests because I got hit of all aoe's that exists even though I think I'm out of it.
    And dungeons is completely out of the question. The lag is insane and you have no idea about what is going on until all are dead.
    I have played many MMO's during the last 6-7 years and I have never experienced problems like this in any other game.
    My computer is a high-end gaming machine and have usually no problems what so ever with my internet connections so don't give me that crap about ISP's and stuff. This is SE's problem and they have to fix it asap.
    And as other pointed out, the worst part is that they even don't admit that there is a problem with their own servers.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Death Rogue
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 47
    most likely the lag is occuring During Prime Time hours because thats when everyone is normally getting online. I suggest just turning off any and all useless programs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Spring Leaf
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    LAaaaaaaaaag
    (2)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast