Player
    Character
    Lion Doge
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by ValVae View Post
    Wait wait wait... he said Brayflox was his first dungeon? I thought Brayflox was opened via the story, and to get to that point in the story you are required to do a few other dungeons...

OP I don't think your BLM was new, I think he was just an idiot/troll
    He said first dungeon as a black mage.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Akira Ono
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivienne View Post
    Honestly the passive aggressive complaining in these forums!

Simple answer: some people are slower/do things backwards, so when you run into them just be nice, give advice, and move on.
    People who laze their way to a high level and don't know their class shouldn't be shown sympathy. It's not like someone doing HM Primals the first time and are unaware; that's understandable. These people purposely skipped any and all dungeons to advance through the game at a fast rate.

To those that complain about long que times: There is absolutely 0 need to party for fates from level 1-30. Even on one of the most populated servers (ultros) where I was before transfer, only higher level fates were spammed to completion in 1-2 minutes. There's nothing stopping you from queing for a dungeon, then going to fate by yourself.

//rant for tanks who don't know how to mark targets or keep hate at level 50
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rivienne Bertouaint
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 36
    Quote Originally Posted by Noahlimits View Post
    People who laze their way to a high level and don't know their class shouldn't be shown sympathy. It's not like someone doing HM Primals the first time and are unaware; that's understandable. These people purposely skipped any and all dungeons to advance through the game at a fast rate.
    Being nice is about not being pointlessly rude, and about not getting worked up about something you can't control, and not turning an environment ugly, or contributing to one that already is.

You can't control other peoples behaviour, whether they were lazy, or just did things backwards because they didn't know better. You can rant and vent and complain all you want, but it won't make a difference. People will still make the same mistakes in rapid leveling, and most of them won't even see this kind of post.

For primary roles if you followed the crowd and shouts, you might think "this is the way to level up, I will just skip quests until I get to 50" (I have certainly run into people like that. they just did what their friends did). And for secondary roles, a lot of people are convinced that because they found their primary role easy, it would be just as easy to jump into a different role. So they level fast and dive in. Sure most of the time they were wrong but that doesn't mean you should insult them, or yell at them, or give them no leeway at all.

In my own experience usually they will realize very quickly that they are in over their heads, and if they don't, some polite phrasing goes a long way. You suggest for example "you really need to learn <skill>/<skill rotation> before you can run this dungeon. There isn't really enough time to learn as you go, and you don't want to keep wasting time queuing for it. Maybe you should try queing up to <other dungeon> first before you try this one again"

Then you.. Move on. Sure if you don't mind, and they are willing, you can walk them through what you can before you quit but if it isn't worth it because you really can't do anything, just let them know, and leave.

That is all you can do. If they don't listen? Fine. You said your bit and moved on. If they do? You made the game just a little bit better for the next group who runs into that person.

"Don't deserve sympathy" as an answer to "be nice", imo is right up there with saying that they do deserve vitriol. Which is definitely invalid. Nobody deserves to be insulted or ranted at for mistakes. If you can't work with them, tell them why nicely, and leave. Really, that is it.

One of the worst things I have ever come across was queuing in progress into Brayflox, and having the DPS insult a tank so much the tank just quit. Nobody gave advice, nobody tried to train them, nothing. They just heaped constant insults until the person quit. That person never learned from their mistakes, they just learned people in this game are rude and unforgiving, and unwilling to work with new players. Be they new to the game, to the role, or to the dungeon.

So yeah, I still stand by my statement. Be nice, give advice, and move on. It isn't hard, it doesn't hurt you more than what currently happens, and it is much more likely the person improves and does the right thing later. And if they don't, so be it, at the very least you didn't let yourself get worked up about something you can't even control.

Also, there is a great quote for this: "Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
    (3)
    Last edited by Rivienne; 10-22-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Player
    Character
    Paspalum Griesel
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 31
    My bf and I hate, HATE running dungeons. In first 2 dungeons it was fine, but now we are at Tota Rak and I meeting people leveling their 2nd or 3rd class, such jerks that it almost puts u off the game completely. My bf is a tank and this is our first MMO we have played

We are really trying by reading the forum on best way to play, but the in game training is very poor if u just follow the story, and I think we could learn a lot more by running dungeons for practice...we have lately just been getting lots of hateful comments and no help at all, its so stressful whenever we come to a dungeon in the story, @Rivienne I wish all were like you, but I have tried reasoning with people like this and they definitely give you a lowdown of how you DESERVE to be treated like $$$$ because you are useless and stupid...even though i love the game I hate the dungeons, maybe I am too soft but it is very hurtful when all you want is to enjoy the game and do your best but you just get so much abuse...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Dantos Vanroe
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Honestly, after doing each dungeon a couple of times the first time through on my whm, learning another class at 50 isnt that big a deal. You just need to do a little research and a little practice. The one class I wouldnt recommend doing that for, and jumping RIGHT into 50 content is a tank, that one takes a bit more practice.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rivienne Bertouaint
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 36
    Quote Originally Posted by Paspalum View Post
    My bf and I hate, HATE running dungeons. In first 2 dungeons it was fine, but now we are at Tota Rak and I meeting people leveling their 2nd or 3rd class, such jerks that it almost puts u off the game completely. My bf is a tank and this is our first MMO we have played

We are really trying by reading the forum on best way to play, but the in game training is very poor if u just follow the story, and I think we could learn a lot more by running dungeons for practice...we have lately just been getting lots of hateful comments and no help at all, its so stressful whenever we come to a dungeon in the story, @Rivienne I wish all were like you, but I have tried reasoning with people like this and they definitely give you a lowdown of how you DESERVE to be treated like $$$$ because you are useless and stupid...even though i love the game I hate the dungeons, maybe I am too soft but it is very hurtful when all you want is to enjoy the game and do your best but you just get so much abuse...
    You aren't too soft. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I know right where you are coming from, mostly third hand, but it has been dished my way on occasion and it is never easy to brush off.

I don't know about Lich since I don't have a character on that world, but see if you can find a good linkshell that is new player friendly. There are several out there who don't mind working with new players, teach them their job etc, and just run low level dungeons for fun.

Dungeons are amazingly fun if you have a good group, and horrible if you get a bad group. So start with the world specific forums and see if there is a story/casual friendly LS for Lich,

If you aren't attached to your character/world, and can't find a good linkshell on your server, you might also try re-rolling on a different server. It isn't a huge amount of rework to rush back up to 24, especially if you have other friendly people to work with. From the forums I know there are friendly linkshells over on Midgardsormr, Fairie, Sargantis, and a few others.
    (1)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8