Player
    Character
    Sakura Yukimoto
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80

Let's Talk About Aesthetics

To get this out front, the reason this thread exists is my own disappointment in the new Nexus weapons. They are, almost quite literally drowning in particle effects. Many players, myself included, sort of liked the now iconic base design of our relic weapons for various reasons. At this point, while they live up to the over all theme of "reaching for the stars" that the Zodiac Saga has going, they feel like they have lost their charm to a degree.

In many ways, I was already disappointed with Bravura Novus. I was all-too-content to have a personalized weapon that I will likely use until I can no longer upgrade it, but currently, Bravura Novus is glamoured to the I'Cie Bardiche because, despite its golden glow going rather well with my all white armor, it no longer "feels" like Bravura.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sakura Yukimoto
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    The new generation is across the board like this, they have, at least in my own opinion, lost themselves to the intensity of their radiating glows.

However, not all is bad. The runes in particular are a nice touch, as were the little protective hexagons on Holy Shield Novus. The more subtle effects, like the runes, protective hexagons, even the wisps on Stardust Rod and Thyrus Nexus are what we should be aiming for, make our weapons feel powerful, not radiant.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sakura Yukimoto
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Furthermore, where could we go from here? How do we best weapons which already resemble the stars they are named after? Do we make them entirely new? Or do we further blind ourselves by infusing weapons with even more energy? I would hope for a middle ground between enhancing the basic designs while also refining and simplifying the particles. Choosing one road or the other feels, in many ways, cheap. And I certainly hope that moving forward, we'll see weapons that are more aesthetically pleasing rather than simply looking "more powerful."

( For those wondering, here is a link to the current Nexus relics, with the exception of Holy Shield Nexus: http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/g...ac33988652.PNG )
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lebensohl Antilles
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 26
    Have you considered trying out the glamour system?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ifalna Sha'yoko
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniPrinny View Post
    ( For those wondering, here is a link to the current Nexus relics, with the exception of Holy Shield Nexus: http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/g...ac33988652.PNG )
    Looks nice, you can still see the weapon underneath.

Simple solution to your problem: Add replica versions w/o stats of each stage for projection purposes only.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kinnison Cooke
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    How about a Particle Effects toggle for weapons and armor? /weaponsfx , /chestsfx , etc could toggle all of those particle effects on and off, much like how /visor works with select helmets.

Not only would this be good for folks who don't like the special effects of the relic weapons, but it could also have very useful RP applications as well.

Though I'm not gonna lie. As a Warrior main who has a thematic style of fire, I am REALLY digging the Bravura Nexus design. But that's personal taste, I'm sure.
    (0)

Character
    Kaiser Yonin
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Animus novus and nexus are all extremely tacky. SE gives glow effects out much too freely.
    (0)