Player
    Character
    Matty Kusuri
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90

Fighting 101

I'm so super confused... I feel like I'm doing it wrong. This game seems to have a super major learning curve and the tutorial.... well, wasnt.

"Press the Action key to begin combat!"
    @____ @ GAH WHICH?! <reads through manual>
    ~Hits F~
    "Youre now in combat!"
    Ok... so I do what now?... </You are dead>

So, I didnt actually die. But, it didnt make sense still. I'm an Archer... I hit "1" for my spell... sometimes I shot once. Some times I shot 3 times. Sometimes, twice.

Do I only hit the key once to toggle an autoshot? Or do I spam the key [Manual attacking]?
    What good is the ability cooldown timer, I dont know how to read it.
    Am I supposed to move around? It LOOKS like I should, but seems to have zero effect on whether or not I actually get hit, and the lock on system makes it feel SUPER awkward. It would be easier to just free run, and turn and shoot as needed... which doesnt seem possible.

I've looked these forums up and down, and searched throughout Google. I need a basic, retard level, step-by-step tutorial on combat. I dont care about Battle Regimens, Armor systems, ect.

Please, super please, any help at all? I've read all the horrible reviews. I've seen all the broken mechanic QQ videos. I know this is a super low point in FF's life. But it looks so super awesome, and I want to give it a try. Even if the gameplay is terribad, theres SO MUCH roleplay potential to be had.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ajax Sol
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Retard level?

Step 1. Target Enemy

Step 2. Approach Enemy

Step 3. Use Actions

Anymore might become confusing. Just keep playing, trying new things, and you might figure it out.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Claudia Sinclair
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    I can only help you with the keyboard/mouse method (which I'm sure some people will laugh at me for using, but oh well!), it will probably be different with a game controller thingy or if you like to use macros. Sorry if this is either too obvious or useless to your gameplay setup, but figured I might as well try to help.

1. Hit F8 to target the nearest mob, or click on it.
    2. Hit enter, and your action bar will appear on the screen.
    3. Click the ability you want to use. You may have to select the target you wish to use it on or toggle AOE on/off and then hit enter. Instead of clicking you can also hit the corresponding number on your keyboard (the number that corresponds to its spot on your bar).

If an ability can't be used at the moment (ex: you don't have enough TP) it will be grayed out on your action bar, and if there is a cooldown timer than it will be shown there as well.

Can't help you with the archer stuff, never played that class, sorry.

Regarding moving around, it can sometimes help you avoid attacks depending on the mob. For example:
    - when moles do their burrowing thing you can run away to avoid getting hit when they come up
    - if you stand to the side of a puk then you won't get hit with their backflip attack thingy
    - after a gnat does its teleport move, be sure not to stand in front of it so you don't get hit
    - don't stand right in front of or behind raptors (breath + tail)

Oh yes, and kind of random, but try not to use weapon skills on djiggas/chigoes (the bugs!). ^^

Hope that was at least a little helpful, and good luck!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vydarr Tyr
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Here's a link to a thread with a Let's Play video series. (link in text) Parts 3 and 4 include battle stuff. Hopefully some info in there you can use.

Good luck!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aria Placida
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 88
    For low-level Archer, it's basically this:

1. Get close enough to enemy to shoot it.
    2. Press "1" until it dies.
    3. Repeat as needed

You'll start getting some variety once you get weapon skills, but, yeah. . .
    (0)