Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    Player
    Onidemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    1,409
    Character
    Aaran Oni
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    GLADIATOR Lv 50

    FFXIV video settings TIPS!

    Hi Everyone,

    I did some experimentation with FFXIV's video settings and these are the settings that i find worked best for me. I also found that there's really only 2 settings in there that are glitchy and seem to have a major impact on performance.

    Here are my settings Which give me 60FPS outside.

    Display Mode: Full Screen... It does create some screen tearing. It's quite annoying but playing in windowed mode resolves this.

    Window Size:
    1680X1050

    Multisampling: 16xQ CSAA

    General Drawing Quality: 8 (standard) I can set this to 9 no problem but i will drop to 45-50FPS... settings to 10 tho' will result in a 50% FPS drop and bring me to 25-30FPS. The last option is definitely not well optimised and it makes no sense to see such a big impact on performance simply by going from 9 to 10.

    Background Drawing Quality: 5 (high)

    Shadow Detail: Highest


    Graphics TAB

    Ambient Occlusion: Off, Turning it on will result in a 50% drop in FPS just like putting general drawing quality to 10. I don't see any visual difference other then this weird black line across the screen, splitting the screen in two. One side in a permanent shadow and the other side bright. It is quite annoying.... a glitch perhaps?

    Depth of Field: On

    Disable cutscene effect: off (unchecked)

    Enable hardware mouse cursor: on

    Texture Quality: High

    Texture Filtering: Highest


    These are my system specs:


    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @4.0GHZ
    MEMORY: 8GB 1600MHZ 7-8-7-20 NB @ 3000
    VIDEO: Sapphire 6990 880Mhz core. Ati drivers 11.5
    HDD: 2X (2X500GB in RAID 0)
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

    Hope this helps someone.
    (1)

  2. #2
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Limsa Lominsa
    Posts
    1,244
    I don't even know what kind of video card that is lol. Sounds impressive though.
    (1)

  3. #3
    Player
    AlexiaKidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,453
    Character
    Alex Kidd
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MARAUDER Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Onidemon View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I did some experimentation with FFXIV's video settings and these are the settings that i find worked best for me. I also found that there's really only 2 settings in there that are glitchy and seem to have a major impact on performance.

    Here are my settings Which give me 60FPS outside.

    Display Mode: Full Screen... It does create some screen tearing. It's quite annoying but playing in windowed mode resolves this.

    Window Size:
    1680X1050

    Multisampling: 16xQ CSAA

    General Drawing Quality: 8 (standard) I can set this to 9 no problem but i will drop to 45-50FPS... settings to 10 tho' will result in a 50% FPS drop and bring me to 25-30FPS. The last option is definitely not well optimised and it makes no sense to see such a big impact on performance simply by going from 9 to 10.

    Background Drawing Quality: 5 (high)

    Shadow Detail: Highest


    Graphics TAB

    Ambient Occlusion: Off, Turning it on will result in a 50% drop in FPS just like putting general drawing quality to 10. I don't see any visual difference other then this weird black line across the screen, splitting the screen in two. One side in a permanent shadow and the other side bright. It is quite annoying.... a glitch perhaps?

    Depth of Field: On

    Disable cutscene effect: off (unchecked)

    Enable hardware mouse cursor: on

    Texture Quality: High

    Texture Filtering: Highest


    These are my system specs:


    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @4.0GHZ
    MEMORY: 8GB 1600MHZ 7-8-7-20 NB @ 3000
    VIDEO: Sapphire 6990 880Mhz core. Ati drivers 11.5
    HDD: 2X (2X500GB in RAID 0)
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

    Hope this helps someone.
    I have the same processor, could you point me in the right direction for a nice easy to follow guide to achieve that or is it not something you would recommend?

    Oh and the mutisampling I have on x8 but I never know which one to choose, what is the difference between the two? I have 8x Q MSAA and 8x CSAA.
    (0)
    Last edited by AlexiaKidd; 05-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.

  4. #4
    Player
    Aistaraina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    324
    Character
    Aistaraina Lanae
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    CONJURER Lv 50
    16xQ, really? I doubt you require it that high. I haven't even tried going that high, but I don't notice any difference between 16x and 8x MSAA, so it sits on 8. Give your GFX card a break lol.
    (1)

  5. #5
    Player
    Loth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    232
    Character
    Loth Falken
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    CONJURER Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Onidemon View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I did some experimentation with FFXIV's video settings and these are the settings that i find worked best for me. I also found that there's really only 2 settings in there that are glitchy and seem to have a major impact on performance.

    Here are my settings Which give me 60FPS outside.

    Display Mode: Full Screen... It does create some screen tearing. It's quite annoying but playing in windowed mode resolves this.
    Forcing VSYNC through drivers will fix this, at least for NVIDIA cards.


    Quote Originally Posted by Onidemon View Post
    Window Size:[/B] 1680X1050

    Multisampling: 16xQ CSAA

    General Drawing Quality: 8 (standard) I can set this to 9 no problem but i will drop to 45-50FPS... settings to 10 tho' will result in a 50% FPS drop and bring me to 25-30FPS. The last option is definitely not well optimised and it makes no sense to see such a big impact on performance simply by going from 9 to 10.
    Seeing as 9 has the engine work on a screenbuffer 1.5 times your resolution, and a setting of 10 will increase the screenbuffer to twice your resolution, it does make sense that you see drastically lowered performance.

    Also, it is important to keep in mind, if you are a NVIDIA card user, that they label their AA settings in a strange way. Take a look at this article on AA by AMD and NVIDIA. (edit: I know you are using an AMD card, this is for the NVIDIA owners out there)


    Quote Originally Posted by Onidemon View Post
    Background Drawing Quality: 5 (high)

    Shadow Detail: Highest


    Graphics TAB

    Ambient Occlusion: Off, Turning it on will result in a 50% drop in FPS just like putting general drawing quality to 10. I don't see any visual difference other then this weird black line across the screen, splitting the screen in two. One side in a permanent shadow and the other side bright. It is quite annoying.... a glitch perhaps?
    There is a difference, though whether it is worth the hit we take to FPS, is personal preference.
    (0)
    Last edited by Loth; 05-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.

  6. #6
    Player
    DeadlySwordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    201
    Character
    Deadly Swordz
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    GLADIATOR Lv 50
    my specs :
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4Ghz
    6GB of Ram @800Mhz
    ATI HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Card
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

    i am playing the game with 1920x1080 Res. In Multisampling i don't see anything higher than 8xQ MSAA.
    General Drawing Quality - 8 (Standard)
    Bacground Drawing Quality - 3 (Standard)
    Shadow Detail - Standard

    Abient Occlusion - unchecked (don't even really know what this does tbh)
    Depth of Field - unchecked
    Cutscene effects - on
    hardware mouse - on
    Texture Quality - High
    Texture Filtering - High

    my card is a bit old even though i just got it about a month ago now, and got it for not too much money. it was an upgrade from an nvidia 9600GT 512MB. i am really not sure if ill be able to max out everything, but with how my settings are atm, the game looks very good.
    (1)

  7. #7
    Player
    DeadlySwordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    201
    Character
    Deadly Swordz
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    GLADIATOR Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Loth View Post
    Forcing VSYNC through drivers will fix this, at least for NVIDIA cards.
    i have an ATI HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 card. i forced vsync on my cards settings. but i still see some tearing playing on full screen but only in certain cutscenes. as the OP said, in windowed mode i dont see any tearing.
    (0)

  8. #8
    Player
    Aizm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    14
    Character
    Aizm Telamon
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 43
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySwordz View Post
    i have an ATI HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 card. i forced vsync on my cards settings. but i still see some tearing playing on full screen but only in certain cutscenes. as the OP said, in windowed mode i dont see any tearing.
    I have a pair of 5870s and forcing vsync through rivatuner's d3d overrider gets rid of any tearing.
    (0)

  9. #9
    Player

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    307
    If you force vsync remember to enable triple buffering, it helps performance quite a bit.
    (0)

  10. #10
    Player
    Crevox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    391
    Character
    Crevox Shadeseer
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 50
    is definitely not well optimised
    It's actually optimized just fine. Putting it above 8 draws the world at a higher resolution and scales it down, effectively enabling a form of supersampling.

    It's not about it not being optimized. Your video card is simply just not powerful enough. The same would happen with other games too if you enabled supersampling or a similar option.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast