Player
    Character
    Raine Serafine
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70

Why Monks need a Buff + Petition!

I'm currently a 49 Monk soon to be 50 and as many other Monks may have noticed, we just don't dish out as much damage as other classes. Even Monk skills just feel to restricted.

The first topic I want to point out is the skill 'Shoulder Tackle'. In most cases, I find this one the most useless skills to use atm. Okay so it can be useful in some cases, but in general it's a completely underrated skill.
    The current stats on the skill is - L35 + 90CD + 100 Potency + 2S Stun

So okay, I consider this skill to be top in the priority list to change. Here I will explain how this skill can be changed to increase the Monks performance without unbalancing it.

While maintaining the skill lvl at 35, the CD of Shoulder Tackle should be reduced to 3-10 seconds while reducing the damage potency to 50~80, completely removing the stun effect.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Raine Serafine
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    Why? Well I've played the beta of Blade&Soul where it has a class similar to monks and the gameplay is quite alike too and in B&S, you had a similar skill to Shoulder Tackle (just in B&S you jump instead of sliding) which was used to quickly jump between kills. I say this system will work good in favor for Monks in ARR, allowing for better chains and adding more fun to the game.

I think this will also make Monks actually useful in some FATES, where range and AOE just dominates the field while Monks are trying to run from one enemy to another; just because the monsters are getting killed too fast. An instant cooldown will allow Monks to quickly chain between kills.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Raine Serafine
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    Now some of you may prefer the stun effect that Shoulder Tackle provides. Although it would be too much to keep a 2s stun on the proposed buff, I would say create a new skill like 'Ground Stomp' which can only be used after Shoulder Tackle (this with a CD) to create an opportunity between jumps to dish out damage before the enemy hits you. Since enemies hit quite hard in ARR, specially if you don't stop for a rest your HP as a monk will drain pretty quickly. But then again, that's why Monks have second wind.

I do have a whole list of change I would like to propose on all of Pug/Monk skills, but I'll for the response from you guys on this first.

If you think I should just shut up and go die in a cave, alright I'll drop this :/

But if you guys think this is a good idea, I'll note the rest down and maybe even start a petition to get the buffs in the game if this thread get's enough support.

Edit
    Is multi-posting here allowed? Kinda stupid to limit posts by 1000 words...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alizebeth Bequin
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    I think the problem is actually monks have too many buffs (to upkeep) =P

Anyway my monk (er, pugilist) is only 20 something so please ignore me from now on lol.

I agree that more mobility would be sweet though.

But really, they should just increase buff duration for greased lightning and twin snakes. Give you more breathing room.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Raine Serafine
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by pandabearcat View Post
    I think the problem is actually monks have too many buffs (to upkeep) =P

Anyway my monk (er, pugilist) is only 20 something so please ignore me from now on lol.

I agree that more mobility would be sweet though.

But really, they should just increase buff duration for greased lightning and twin snakes. Give you more breathing room.
    Yes, I do agree with you

That is one of the topics I would go over if I have to!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Seyon Masters
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    My monk is only 37, but at 50 monks probably have the most variance in their dps. I see monks in crap gear nearing 250 dps, and monks with relics doing 50. It seems to be very much based on the player and the fight. Monks are definately not weak, but are probably the opposite of bards, in that each boss movement can hurt them a ton
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Spythe West
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 44
    I swear if I see another MNK don't do enough damage thread. MNK need some serious adjustment but non of it has to do with DMG, before you make a thread at least get to 50. Every class does fine damage stop worrying about stupid numbers and play the actually game instead of bitching.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Jeisyn Krieslyr
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Monks are consistently parsing as the highest DPS when they are able to fight without GL falling off. The only thing that would help would be either:

a) A cooldown that grants 3 stacks
    b) A longer duration on greased lightning to allow more room for mobility

If you feel your DPS is low as a monk...

Perfect Balance, Snap, Snap, Twin, Demolish, Dragon - CD is now over
    Dragon -> Twin -> Snap
    Bootshine -> True Strike -> Snap/Demolish (depending on your skill speed)
    Dragon -> Twin -> Demolish/Snap (depending on what you did previously)

You just keep rotating between those 2 sets remembering to watch you DoT Timers and replace as needed keeping as close to 100% uptime as possible: Touch, Fracture, Demolish.

Other than that - just make sure your OFF GCD abilities are used in between your GCD ones...

i.e. Dragon Punch - Internal Release - Twin Snakes - Howling Fist - Demolish - Steel Peak, that way you weave them in without slowing down your normal rotation.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Rhaine Faithslight
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    If you buff us more i WILL have no alternative except to slow down my damage because 100% guerenteed ill gain aggro in some coil fights, its allrdy touch and go on turn 4.

The best suggestion ive seen though is that greased lightning loses 1 stack at a time rather than all stacks, that seems minimal but also would help tremendosly with consistancy.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Zelia Sarrasin
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Monks don't need buffs.

They need 2 QoL changes.

Increase GL to 20s timer, give them a 100 potency ranged attack that refreshes GL.
    (8)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast