Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Alise Reinhart
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80

Unable to detect directX and FFXIV close itself.

Hello, I would like to ask on how could I deal with this problem. Today I just bought a new laptop "Acer 4830GT" which has very high spec and easily play this game in meduim-little high setting. However, the game often has randomly occur with the program "unable to detect directX" very often, while I run a little bit in-game.

Spec:
    Processor CPU Intel Core i7-2620M (2.70 GHz, 4 MB L3 Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
    Chipset Mobile Intel HM65 Express Chipset
    Graphic system
    Graphic Chip nVidia GeForce GT 540M (2 GB GDDR3)
    Main Memory Memory 4 GB DDR3
    Hard Disk Drive Hard Disk 750 GB 5400 RPM

Is there anybody could help me find the solution of the problem? so far I have downloaded and installed direction web installer so I should have all kind of directx by now.

I also notice that the problem occur more often when I swap from game to internet browser or change letter language or anything that doesn't use the game window. (althought I play on window mode)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alise; 05-14-2011 at 05:58 PM.

FFXIV : ARR all instance boss gameplay video can be found here..
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Arikameow/videos?shelf_index=0&sort=dd&view=0

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Have you update the drivers for your GPU?
    (0)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player

This is a problem that a lot of high-end laptop users have been experiencing lately, and is likely due to the fact that you have two active video display devices. To conserve power, your laptop probably uses the onboard video unless you're playing a game, in which case the 540GT kicks into gear. I think this is called Nvidia Optimus Technology.. somewhere during the course of playing FFXIV there is a conflict between these two devices which causes your game to crash - viewing an internet browser window may trigger your onboard video to activate, but since it doesn't have enough power to run FFXIV, it crashes. The error is deceiving, as it's really not related to DirectX.

If you can do so without screwing up your GT 540M, try disabling your onboard video from your device manager or bios, and see if that resolves your problem. Since this is such a new laptop, there isn't a ton of information for me to work with.. you'll need to do some research to figure it out. You may even need a "hack" of sorts to work-around the issue.

:Edit:

See if you can "Whitelist" FFXIV to use the GT 540M all of the time. This video is for a different laptop, but most of the steps would be the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U874jC2blJQ
    (1)
    Last edited by Grit; 05-15-2011 at 01:07 AM.

"We all enjoy a delicious slice of yummy cake every now and again."
    ~ Moderator Jhanaka

Player
    Character
    Alise Reinhart
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    thank for great information.
    I have tried to set that I will perform high performance Nvidia on FF14 now ( the Nvidia has the setting which program to use which), and the problem still happen time to time. (i think it happen as soon as priority go to something else, this apply to those pop up from MSN, browser shift or window update too. I m not sure if there is a way for me to temporary switch this system off completely while I m playing game or not)

I m not sure about how to configure it on the Bios as you said tho? Can you guide me around?
    (0)

Player

I don't know what your bios looks like, so I can't really help you there. Just reboot your computer, hit the correlating key to access your bios (F2? Delete?), and then do some looking around. If there is an option to turn off your onboard video, it should be somewhat obvious. Just don't go changing a bunch of things without knowing what they do.

Other people have posted that they have similar problems when toggling their active window, but you'll need to go find those threads yourself and see if they found a solution. Unfortunately nobody titles their threads properly, and the same error can be caused by 100 different things.. so it's difficult to reference old threads.
    (0)

~ Moderator Jhanaka

Player
    Character
    Alise Reinhart
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    yes, I understand that fact. that is why it can be so troublesome to deal with error each time.

Well, thank a lot for your help. I will take sometime to find it out ^^

btw, I found something that might be the reason to those problem :

Please tell me which one should I change/ should not

Power management mode : Adaptive.
    Multi-display/mixed-GPU accerlation : Multiple display performance mode.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alise; 05-15-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Player

Change the first one to "Prefer Maximum Performance" and see if that helps.

The second one doesn't apply to you.
    (0)

~ Moderator Jhanaka

As far as MSN and other programs stealing focus and causing a crash in FF, that is something that cannot be worked around except by playing in windowed mode. If you play in full screen, you will have to wait for SE to fix the issue.
    (0)
    Pooka Pucel - Sanctus Refero - Besaid - http://www.sanctusrefero.com/

Player
    Character
    Leknaat Phoenix
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    if you're still being dropped out in even in windowed mode your option is pretty much limited to using Valve's Steam overlay to run FFXIV in full-screen mode. I get dropped out constantly in windowed mode due to the Direct X error. With the steam overlay/full screen I only get dropped out when I'm stupid enough to accidentally hit alt-tab.

Choose to add non-valve game,
    Set FFXIV to run in full-screen mode, and at the full screen resolution.

You'll have access to websites with the Steam overlay and not much else.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alise Reinhart
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    It happen on window mode, I always play on window mode all the time. I heard that full screen mode would get even more problem.

Today I have set all Nivdia configulation to max, and including full energy, I also try to check F2 BIOS, and I see no any setting relate to it. Now, I m wondering if the problem is really happen because of direct-X?

Does I need to install any directX 9 compatibility program for laptop that start on directx-11 and window 7 64 bit?

My main PC used to install something that name similar to that while the window auto update, but my laptop never get that in auto update status. (But I already install diretx 9 that come with the game)
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast