Player
    Character
    Larek Darkholme
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    i think people who have every craft class at 50 can see the benefit of it
    but right now, if someone as 0 craft class and want to start, it will take a long time and a LOT of money to start crafting anything relevant
    People saying that you make money by making ilv70 craft, great, but how long for a new player to get there?
    (0)

Larek Darkholme @ Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Roth Trailfinder
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterior View Post
    but right now, if someone as 0 craft class and want to start, it will take a long time and a LOT of money to start crafting anything relevant
    People saying that you make money by making ilv70 craft, great, but how long for a new player to get there?
    I only started playing during beta phase 4. I'm almost at 50 with all the crafting/gathering classes, only Culinary is under 50, and its at 44 or 45.

Seeing as I was not the most dedicated towards maxing my crafting and gathering classes, its clearly doable in less time than its taking me ... so "a couple months" or less to get there, depending.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hito Yu
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Laryndra View Post
    You have fun farmin those tomes for me =)
    It is quite funny that you think you are the one pulling in profit.

On Midgard it's 25k for phil. items. You need 18 for astral rings, yes? So if you just sell the ore, you gain 450k before taxes. If you decide to HQ it on Midgard and list it, you'll maybe make 600k before taxes.

Guess what? Only certain DoM jobs need your astral crap to survive fireball in turn 5. Given a week or two, this won't be an issue and you will see your astral ring sales drop in price.

I make much more money than most of my friends with all 50 crafts simply because phil. items are in high demand right now. I was selling you them when they were 60k which made me break 2 mil, and I still sell them to you at 25k which has boosted me even further.

Have fun wasting your time crafting, though, only to have the market eat your profits via taxes while my BLM speeds through WP, making 25k + gil drops each run in 15 minutes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ire Valkyr
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitome View Post
    I make much more money than most of my friends with all 50 crafts simply because phil. items are in high demand right now. I was selling you them when they were 60k which made me break 2 mil, and I still sell them to you at 25k which has boosted me even further.

Have fun wasting your time crafting, though, only to have the market eat your profits via taxes while my BLM speeds through WP, making 25k + gil drops each run in 15 minutes.
    If no one needs the "astral crap" why are philo items in demand? They are only used for two star items. So you are pointing out that most people would rather save by getting the mats and crafting it themselves or from a guild crafter. Regardless, i can still buy 450k worth of mats and resell it quickly at even 550k. 15 min is still 15 min for 25k where a crafter just spent 10 making 100k.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Allyrion Windwalker
    World
    Yojimbo
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenin View Post
    Yea I'd guess 85%+ of market transactions are in a closed loop from crafters/gatherers to other crafters/gatherers. All the gear and consumables you need to level up you get from quests/dungeons. The only time gil from people with only battle classes enters the system is when they need a double melded item for their relic quest or when they sell crafters philosophy tome items.

If you're buying normal quality X-Ethers even those aren't made by crafters >.> only the HQ ones are. The NQ ones drop from dungeon chests and are sold by people who get them that way.

It's such a shame because they've made an incredibly intricate crafting system but only other crafters get to interact with it. I made over 8,000 (yes eight thousand) Mega-Potions recently to get the Alchemy luminary weapon and I can't even give them away lol. People don't even realize they exist because they are so non-essential. If you want a tip, make friends with a crafter intent on getting all crafts to 50. We have unbelievable amounts of great stuff that we end up vendoring.
    I agree with all you've said. I'd really like if crafters had more of an interaction with DoW/DoM.
    I don't think that necessarily means that crafted gear needs to be essential. It's probably too late to change its cost efficiency as well.

Consumables and perks would be a good start. It'd be nice if all gear had materia slots, for example.
    I'm glad housing and pvp will be another useful venue crafting. I'd like to see how that plays out.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hito Yu
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriane View Post
    If no one needs the "astral crap" why are philo items in demand?
    The reason they're in demand is because any fresh 50 can go to the marketborad, buy these items, meld them with materia, and be ready for coil which is why you probably will never see them dip below 20k in price: there will always be a need to gear alts who don't have access to your main's mythology/Allagan loot.

The reason astral items (rings, chokers, bracelets) have sky rocketed in price, as of late, is the need for HP in turn 5. Mainly, BLMs and SMNs. As people continue to fill in their DL gear with AF2, VIT will rise naturally and there will be no need to buy astral items simply to socket them with VIT to survive a fireball.

But, if you want to sell your HQ astral items (frequency: one sold every 5 days), I guess that's your prerogative.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mira Longshadow
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterior View Post
    Even new players can make money from crafting and level up to 50 in a reasonable amount of time. For that you need you to make HQ items. Even low level one sells. How to make HQ you ask? Take the time to level up all your crafts to lvl 15 in order to grab the cross-class skills. With those, it becomes much easier to make HQ.

Remember, HQ gives more xp per craft and sells a lot better. HQ leves give triple xp. With that in mind, leveling your crafts, even for newer player shouldn't cost a lot of money or take months to complete.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mira Longshadow
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitome View Post
    In 15 minutes a crafter can easily make 15 items, put them on Market Board and come back later for a couple 100k's of profit. While the items are selling nothing is stopping you from farming WP .

And BTW, 2 stars crafted gears sell because they are much better than DL and cratfed accessories are quite close to ilevel90.
    (0)

Crafting and High-Level Items

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn Producer and Director Yoshi-P here with a few thoughts on crafting and high-level items.

As always, I appreciate the constructive feedback that many of you have offered on this important topic. In this post, I’d like to discuss our vision for the role of crafting in Eorzea.

Crafting of High-Item-Level Gear
    As you all know, the item level cap in FFXIV Version 2.0-2.1 is item level 90.
    (We will be implementing a slight balance adjustment based upon our observations of item distribution within the player population.)
    There are currently two ways to obtain item level 90 gear: by conquering the game’s most challenging dungeon, or by collecting and exchanging Allagan tomestones.

In contrast, the highest-item-level gear that is currently craftable is item level 70. Looking simply at the difference, this appears to a very significant gap. That said, the materia system (including advanced materia melding) allows for the crafting of gear more powerful than its item level would suggest, gear that can—when augmented with effective materia combinations—serve players well even in the most challenging battles.

That said, it is impossible to craft higher-item-level gear, or gear that is completely equal in power to the highest-item-level gear available.

This is an intentional decision that we made for a few reasons, which I would like to explain in detail.

Preserving the Appeal of Dungeons
    While there are a variety of ways to enjoy FFXIV, the desire to become powerful is a great motivator for many players. In particular, the impressive weapons and armor obtainable by triumphing in high-level PvE encounters attract many players to take on these challenges.

If the same items were made craftable, some players might find it easier to save up their gil, robbing them of this motivation to undertake the game’s toughest battles.

I realize this is a worst-case scenario. In a perfect world, it would simply be another option, and players would have the choice of either fighting or saving money to obtain their desired gear. Unfortunately, this remains a concern.

Ensuring Item Rarity
    We also believe that the strongest gear available at a given time should not be obtainable by all players.
    As of Version 2.0-2.1, this position is held by the Allagan gear that may be won by completing the Binding Coil of Bahamut. With only the most skilled of adventurers able to complete this challenge, many others must settle for obtaining high-item-level gear via tomestones while biding their time, waiting for the difficulty of this battle to be eased.

Crafted gear plays an important role in allowing players to triumph in battle and obtain the strongest gear. Furthermore, as the item level cap is raised in patches to come, new recipes for higher-item-level gear will be added, preserving the valuable role of crafters while maintaining this intentional gap.

As our first patch has not yet arrived, it may seem as if the current state of items and crafting is static, but rest assured that subsequent patches will introduce higher-item-level gear, along with many new opportunities for crafters.
    The class/job level cap will remain at 50 for the time being, meaning that gear (including crafted gear) will play an increasingly important role in character growth in the months to come.

At the moment, players are striving to improve themselves within a relatively limited range of power, but this range will gradually expand as new content is released, and as the difference in play styles between players leads to greater disparity over time. As a result, even if they lack the ability to create the highest-item-level gear, crafters will always have an essential role in Eorzea.

RMT Concerns
    “What if high-item-level gear was made craftable with materials dropped in the Binding Coil of Bahamut?” is a popular argument. As I alluded to in a previous section, we believe that the prices for such gear would be high, forcing players to choose between sacrificing time to earn gil, or taking on the battles themselves.

It is nevertheless an understandable suggestion, and one which is of course possible to implement.
    However, we stand by our decision not to have the highest-level gear available for purchase. One of our primary reasons is that such a change would encourage RMT. Our team is working tirelessly to stamp out RMT entirely, closing thousands of accounts and seizing massive amounts of gil every week—this even in the game’s current state, where many believe that crafted items are in low demand.

Were the highest-item-level gear made craftable and available for purchase, it’s easy to foresee a problematic situation where RMT abusers would:
    • Overrun instances for item farming (monopolizing materials)
    • Buy high-item-level gear at excessive prices to drive up value (market manipulation)
    • More persistently solicit RMT gil purchases from players (increased spamming)
    This would, in turn, lead to more players choosing to purchase gil, creating a vicious cycle that would feed further RMT abuse.

At one time, we considered the option of adding a more valuable, non-tradable currency that could be used to purchase these items on the market, but this idea was scrapped, as it made little sense from an overall gameplay perspective.

Existing Concerns and Future Plans
    To summarize, in the game’s current state, the limited item level range for available gear means that many players are able to meet their needs with gear obtained in the course of leveling. Crafted gear remains useful for only a short period of time, resulting in low demand on the markets.
    We are aware that this is especially true for weapons, with relic weapons becoming a sort of standard.

These issues will eventually be dealt with by raising the level cap, but crafters need not wait that long for change. Patch 2.1 will see the addition of the Wolves’ Den and the Housing system, and the services of crafters will be in high demand for both PvP-related items and furnishings. Looking ahead to Patch 2.2, crafters will be able to alter gear designs using a “template” system (official name TBD), giving them yet another role in creating desirable gear.
    Rest assured that we will not sit idly by as crafters go neglected.

In closing, I would like to emphasize that we will continue to look at the demand for crafted items in all aspects of gameplay, from PvE and PvP to housing, end-game content, and so forth. We will continue to explore options for expanding the role of crafters—if not by allowing for the crafting of the highest-item-level gear—with a close eye on that which is in the greatest demand in the ever-evolving world of Eorzea.
    I hope all crafters will look forward to the changes to come!
    (200)

Player
    Character
    Fiofel Zalalafell
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 1
    *reaches for Fernehaw-I mean-Yoshida's ankles as he flies away* Don't go, crafting info is delish!

-
    On a less dramatic note, I wonder if there's ever a relic +2, maybe some two star recipes and dare I say tier IV materia could play a role in it.

2.1 and 2.2, I long for ye...
    (6)

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast