Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Blaetrot Pfarskoefsyn
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Concerning RMT, I don't understand how anything said for fishing can't be applied to botany and mining. If they are afraid of a repeat of FFXI's gil inflation, just make it impossible to sell fish to NPCs (using player markets instead - if that is a problem, then you have bigger problems than fishing). Moreover, do they think people will have a hard time chatting while logging or mining? Crafting (which has plenty of actions)? Let's be real here: People will be chatting away on their LSs and FCs (and, if allowed, /tells) while doing anything and everything up to serious end-game raids. Even deadly combat is not too "stressful". That's how 1.x worked. That's how FFXI worked. That's how every MMO works. When given the option, people will chat and do something that progresses them in the main areas of the game. By making it less interesting, you are only hurting the people who want to fish for fun.

We will see how it turns out, but the reasoning is pretty terrible. I mean, YoshiP is a breath of fresh air from the usual SE stuff, but he still has the nonsensical interview rhetoric locked down. I do feel bad for people who invested hours and hours into fishing thinking it would be a real class on the level of botanist and miner, if not a class in all respects.

EDIT: Since it was brought up earlier, I will agree that what they did with attributes is unfortunate. Gear and food (and materia) is just boring, even when effective (more so since a lot of it isn't effective, see: skill/spell speed). There is no real thought involved in creating a set with multiple choices in each slot. I really hope artifact armor at least doesn't have their full attributes, because if they do then it is fair to say gear remains boring from level 1 to 50.
    (0)
    Last edited by Riposte; 08-12-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Ultimate FATE fix/redesign: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/92555-Making-FATEs-smarter!-%28Comprehensive-FATE-%28-guildleve-quest%29-fixes-redesign%29
    Better integrating DoH/L into the endgame: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/90616-Getting-DoH-DoL-more-involved-in-endgame-progression...-%28two-ideas%29

Player
    Character
    Psxpert Sylph
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I think this topic has stayed out of the water far too long alredy, it's starting to smell bad. Let's just wait until we have a taste of the fishing mechanics in open beta before reeling in the results of our find.

=P

As far as for "stressful fishing", as long as we get to pick out bait and anywhere to drop a line and gather, it's fine with me. Fishing up something would probably rely on gear stats as well. (maybe?)
    (0)
    Last edited by PSxpert2011; 08-13-2013 at 03:09 AM.

~'\[[_LEGACY_]]/'~
    TENTs because solo-friendly content forces me to want one!
    (HP + Instantly logout anywhere)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/my/
    *Excalibur* Nation: Limsa Laminsa

Hey all,

As Yoshida brought up in previous Letter from the Producer LIVE, fishing is designed to be a casual concept that can be enjoyed between battle content or while waiting for Duty Finder matching or for your friends to log in.

While fishing, your catches will go into your inventory, and you are able to both sell it back to the market, use it as an ingredient in your food recipes, or use it immediately for bait to lure in different fish. You can also fish up coral to be used in various accessories and even more surprising items.
    (50)
    Robert "Hvinire" Peeler - Community Team

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvinire View Post
    Hey all,

As Yoshida brought up in previous Letter from the Producer LIVE, fishing is designed to be a casual concept that can be enjoyed between battle content or while waiting for Duty Finder matching or for your friends to log in.

While fishing, your catches will go into your inventory, and you are able to both sell it back to the market, use it as an ingredient in your food recipes, or use it immediately for bait to lure in different fish. You can also fish up coral to be used in various accessories and even more surprising items.
    Truly shocked that this thread is the one that got a dev response instead of the three threads dedicated to fishing, but I'll take it.

While I'm glad we finally have an answer as to whether our fish will actually be useful, could you kindly let Yoshida know that some (a lot) of us enjoyed fishing in 1.0, and intended to enjoy fishing in 2.0, as a way to actually enjoy them. When I decide to fish, it won't be because I'm waiting to fight. It will be because I want to fish.

Repeating that a class a lot of us have worked hard to get to 50 or to obtain our luminary rods is now nothing more than a time waster is beyond insulting.

EDIT: I come off as tetchy (I am), but I'd like to sincerely thank you for finally speaking to us.
    (37)
    Last edited by LlenCoram; 08-13-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Player
    Character
    Santori Zhonets
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60

!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!

(2)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Hey all,

So if I get this right, we will still get the same sorts of drops as before and, also as before, the drops will have a very low sell-to-NPC rate to disadvantage RMT and increase market use? Ok.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Colino Nyea
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    I really don't understand the reasoning behind this.

If Yoshida wants fishing to be something casual to do between battle, why would I do it in the first place? Clearly if it's entirely casual, no effort content, the rewards will be null. Clearly if fishing is something you can do while your brain is shut off there is essentially nothing to gain from it and fish will be of close to no value.

So why would I do that and not something else that is actually rewarding or that grants me some sort of progress? Why should fishing be a mini-game within itself with no reward or self fulfillment? It makes no sense.

At this point don't even make it a class. I'm sure if it were up to Yoshida it wouldn't have even been in the game to begin with, because clearly he values it as being less than the other gathering classes.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    and even more surprising items.
    You tease, Vinny!

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing how it works in action later this week, though I might not get a chance if I have to clear some space in my inventory first...
    (0)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Rowyne Olde
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I'll wait to try it out before I pass judgement. However, I'd like it to be less involved than FFXI but have more substance than WoW. Somewhere in the middle, please.

Player
    Character
    Lucy Testarossa
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    i wonder if FF fishing is going to be like グランダー武蔵 :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHBWuo45oVE
    (1)

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast