Player
    Character
    Aqu'a Fantasia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabi View Post
    mmm i was thinking mobs that can unequip your gear (see lamia, yovra from FFXI) will make a return. But you will have to go into passive mode before you can reequip your gear.
    That would make a LOT of people angry [having to go into passive mode] and if they did add it then it wouldn't take long before they remove it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sabi Verdantes
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    Oh yeah its no fun thing if your gear gets unequipped :P
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Etoile Kallera
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    That would make a LOT of people angry [having to go into passive mode] and if they did add it then it wouldn't take long before they remove it.
    Well what use is passive mode then?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Holy Dragoon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    While I am against mid-fight gear swaps, I really like the idea of being able to change gear on the fly.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Austen Bloodspatter
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Robobandit View Post
    Ahh ok. That makes more sense.

So gear sets still exist, but the armoury chest allows you to add items to multiple gear sets instead of having the item removed from your inventory, it just references the item inside the armoury chest when adding it to your gear sets.

Sounds great!
    Oh nvm i misunderstood the post
    (0)

While you can change equipment during battle, the development team confirmed that the battle system wasn't designed to offer that as an advantage. The purpose of the Armoury Chest and gear sets are simply to facilitate changing gear and additional inventory for gear and were not created to be used as a strategy during battle.
    (32)
    Robert "Hvinire" Peeler - Community Team

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Gyoo? o.o?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvinire View Post
    While you can change equipment during battle, the development team confirmed that the battle system wasn't designed to offer that as an advantage. The purpose of the Armoury Chest and gear sets are simply to facilitate changing gear and additional inventory for gear and were not created to be used as a strategy during battle.
    ? I'm not sure I'm following. Just because the battle system wasn't designed with the strategy of changing equipment in mind, doesn't mean that people won't do it in order to maximise their efficiency. In fact, if the battle system hasn't taken this functionality into account, then surely there will be some strong imbalances in certain battles.

With the experience of FFXI, we can see that per-action gear-swapping became the most effective way of play. One thing I liked about XIV was that you couldn't do this; I think because it meant there was no impetus to have a third-party app loaded up (against the ToS^^) and have either learned to script efficiently, or copied someone else's work, enabling a significant portion of the game's action to essentially play itself.

Is this the way XIV is heading too? Because if in-combat gear-swaps are present, whether they are taken into account by the development team or not, they will surely dominate the way that the combat portion of the game is played.

Of course, my concern here might be unwarranted. I understand the combat system is still undergoing substantial overhauls. Perhaps the development team have come up with something which means that gear-swapping actually has no effect at all on combat...

Of course, surely it'd just be simpler to lock out gear-swaps while a character has enmity?
    (22)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Well, when I think about gear swapping in 1.0 (Hang tight, smoke is coming out of my ears) this happened because the gear boosted a specific ability with it's stats.

Example: I can have a high stat piece of gear for BRD DPS... however, if I'm going to sing a song, I would swap to AF gear to sing because the AF gear boosted that song.

ARR stats need to be modified so that there's not a conflict between a character's stats and abilities. So in this world, the stat for BRD DPS would be the same as its songs, removing the need for Gear swapping.
    (1)

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvinire View Post
    If it's not intended to be used as a strategy, it shouldn't be allowed. People will use it regardless of the intention.
    I'd rather keep twitchy gear swapping out of the game (none of this 10 pieces of gear for every spell and ability swapped in for 0.5 seconds every time you use those abilities crap)
    (26)

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast