Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Veto Bahamut
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 1
    i see a lot of people in these kinds of threads talking about how this or that does/doesn't require skill- only to see they've done next to nothing in the game. and it leads me to wonder how exactly they can speak as expert witnesses on what is and isn't difficult, what does and doesn't require skill... when they've never really tested themselves in the first place.

maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if they'd preface it with "this is just my opinion and i don't really have anything to back it up, but..."

i can't tell if it's a blind ego thing or just a lack of self-awareness. oh well.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Crystal Weapon
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    I keep hearing about people wanting things handed to them. How exactly is a monster that takes 8 highly skilled people giving everything they've got to kill that spawns every 30 mins to an hour with a 5% droprate any less difficult than a NM that takes 8 highly skilled people giving everything they've got to kill that spawns every 18 hours with a 5% droprate?

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that we should have big badass monsters roaming around. I just don't think they should have the same rediculous timmers. That's the only thing I'm arguing about in this thread. It doesn't make it harder it just limits the amount of people who can participate.

Constructively adding to this topic, I fully agree with Patriarch in that it would be fun to have different ways to spawn NMs and HNMs. My favorite method being forced pops. Even if the pop item is so rare it takes you 5+ hours to farm, you are at least doing something for those 5 hours. You are also not blocking anyone else from fighting the NM for the rest of the day when you go fight it. Lotto spawns and conditional spawns would be fun too provided they aren't too ridiculous.

Completely off topic: Everytime I see your damn name Patriarch it makes me want to go play Killing Floor >_>
    (0)

Player

I also wonder if the people who complaining about camping HNM all day and "not having the time" even understand the concept of getting ToDs. Sure we don't need the reeeaaally long repop's that XI had, but even those aren't that big of a deal. IF you were doing it right in XI.. your LS would have gotten ToD's for HNM they intend to camp. You'd only actually camp during it's window (which normally is only a couple of hours - much like most XI and XIV events anyway). And even then you'd only be "actively" camping for a few seconds every 30minutes over the course of a few hours. Inbetween you could be doing whatever you wanted. IF you knew what you were doing, it really wasn't a big deal. Now of course XI did go extreme with a few HNM.. Iirc Tiamat had like a 24hour window, which meant you literally might be sitting there all day (checking in every 30minutes) until the pop.. but most mobs had a pretty short window (nothing way outside of what any normal endgame event might take), as long as you had the ToD.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by fusional View Post
    i see a lot of people in these kinds of threads talking about how this or that does/doesn't require skill- only to see they've done next to nothing in the game. and it leads me to wonder how exactly they can speak as expert witnesses on what is and isn't difficult, what does and doesn't require skill... when they've never really tested themselves in the first place.

maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if they'd preface it with "this is just my opinion and i don't really have anything to back it up, but..."

i can't tell if it's a blind ego thing or just a lack of self-awareness. oh well.
    I'm always torn of the idea of "skill" in a game. On one hand, I think its an oxymoron because I'm blessed enough to play with a really good group. On the other hand, whenever I play with a crappy group I suddenly see the difference LMAO.

I wonder if the word "skill" isn't exactly right - perhaps "attention to detail" and "they don't tank Ifrit or cure moogle while watching Netflix."

But I think people can agree on some things and one of them is content that is more challenging than speedruns and more varied than instanced only is a good idea. I also think that you're comment on awareness vs. ego a really good one.

Super nice post ^^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Exni View Post
    I also wonder if the people who complaining about camping HNM all day and "not having the time" even understand the concept of getting ToDs. Sure we don't need the reeeaaally long repop's that XI had, but even those aren't that big of a deal. IF you were doing it right in XI.. your LS would have gotten ToD's for HNM they intend to camp. You'd only actually camp during it's window (which normally is only a couple of hours - much like most XI and XIV events anyway). And even then you'd only be "actively" camping for a few seconds every 30minutes over the course of a few hours. Inbetween you could be doing whatever you wanted. IF you knew what you were doing, it really wasn't a big deal. Now of course XI did go extreme with a few HNM.. Iirc Tiamat had like a 24hour window, which meant you literally might be sitting there all day (checking in every 30minutes) until the pop.. but most mobs had a pretty short window (nothing way outside of what any normal endgame event might take), as long as you had the ToD.
    I find irony in that the heavy detractors are literally CAMPING THESE FORUMS. Seriously - that's straight-up gigglepee material.

"<whistles tune>"
    /clicks refresh
    /mountain dew
    /cheetos
    /sees new post on HNM forum
    "POP!"
    /mad scramble to reply
    "YES! CLAIM!!!"
    (1)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
    It's hyper.

Hyper-Notorious Monsters not Highly Notorious Monsters.

It refers to the fact that they have a rage timer.
    Its Higher.

Higher Notorious Monsters, refering to their level.

The only debate has always been around the "N" > Is it notorious, or is it named? I personally go with notorious.

gd... i logged in just to post that...? Hmm

On topic: I'm all for HNMs. Love them, so, so much. I honestly want more non-instanced, rare, notorious monsters.

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySolace View Post
    Its Higher.

Higher Notorious Monsters, refering to their level.

The only debate has always been around the "N" > Is it notorious, or is it named? I personally go with notorious.

gd... i logged in just to post that...? Hmm

On topic: I'm all for HNMs. Love them, so, so much. I honestly want more non-instanced, rare, notorious monsters.
    {Notorious Monster} was in the Auto-Translator. "Named Monster" was not.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nyris Reach
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Im not sure why the acronym is so important to people

A rose by any other name.. and all that... you know?

They could call them Sissy Pollywick Jumpers and people would still shout "NM hunt" or maybe "SPJ hunt" but it doesn't change what it is... and thats what this thread is proposing, a certain type of content, regardless of the name

Even now the open world NMs spawn in a large enough area that even a claim bot wouldn't be 100%
    More things like this wouldn't be bad...
    Instanced and Open world NMs are great
    I'd just like to see a change where you can't attack a MOB claimed by someone else
    Also, some ingredient only farmed from an NM... for some consumable item.. Kind of like Vampire cutting, but possibly specific to 1 particular NM
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Peptaru View Post
    The HNM drops like ridill and black belt were coveted by people who didn't even need them.
    ...What monk didn't need a black belt back in the day?
    (0)

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    ...What monk didn't need a black belt back in the day?
    I think he refers to people who didn't have MNK leveled but wanted the BB anyways for "when they got around to leveling it."

The idea being that if they didn't get it now, they may not be able to when they hit 75.
    (0)

Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast