Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Wobble Wibblewobb
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60

Arcanist points allocation, Your thoughts?

So I have been wondering about this one a bit since this class can branch off into two paths. Would we want to divide our points between MND and INT or put all in MND for SCH and use Cleric's Stance for SMN?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    Summoner doesn't get access to cleric stance unfortunately :-/
    I actually just noticed that when I switched over. So I'm thinking it's probably going to be best to do 50/50 if you plan on doing both jobs.
    (0)
    Last edited by Wobble; 08-30-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Player
    Character
    Layton Faust
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Summoner doesn't get access to cleric stance unfortunately :-/
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aver Roahn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    You pick one. There are items in game that will let you reallocate points should you ever so choose to completely delve into the other side, but... I really have no problem healing as sch with my points into INT for smn. It's not the mountain people make it out to be.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Bobby Moon
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 51
    Quote Originally Posted by Aver View Post
    You pick one. There are items in game that will let you reallocate points should you ever so choose to completely delve into the other side, but... I really have no problem healing as sch with my points into INT for smn. It's not the mountain people make it out to be.
    Way to add absolutly NOTHING to the conversation. Why even bother to post if you have nothing creative to say? The guy was just asking for some basic imput.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alec Temet
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Choosing one isn't really such a bad idea. You might feel the 30 point loss a little, but it won't be so much that it will prevent you from playing your "lesser" job well. For all practical purposes, it is the same as having to choose whether you want to get gear for your SMN or your SCH. Assuming you are in a FC that does some sort of equitable equipment balancing, it's unlikely you will get the best gear for both. At some point you are going to have to choose what Job of the two you most like, and which you want to excel at.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Fej Voidsbane
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 23
    Quote Originally Posted by ExquisiteCorpse View Post
    Way to add absolutly NOTHING to the conversation. Why even bother to post if you have nothing creative to say? The guy was just asking for some basic imput.
    Oh the funny irony of an idiot.

If you don't know which job you want to take, wouldn't it still be best to go full INT? Since ARN is classified as a DD class, it will benefit most from more INT. Also as was said Summoners can't use cleric stance so the MND would be wasted with that job. However, according to xivdb Scholars can use cleric stance, so you would just be trading one cross class skill to swap your INT and MND if necessary? Or would the gear discrepancy between MND and INT on the gear that Summoners and Scholars wear make this a bad choice?
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Mrv Light
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    you absolutely don't want to divide your stat points

only having 1 gimped job is better than having 2

that said, i've leveled and thrown everything into int - healing every instance up through aurum vale as a scholar with zero bonus stats in MND has been easy

there -might- come a time when i decide to main scholar, and if/when that happens i'll spend a few thousand seals on a hymn and respec full MND
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Taja Shin
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulan View Post
    Choosing one isn't really such a bad idea. You might feel the 30 point loss a little, but it won't be so much that it will prevent you from playing your "lesser" job well. For all practical purposes, it is the same as having to choose whether you want to get gear for your SMN or your SCH. Assuming you are in a FC that does some sort of equitable equipment balancing, it's unlikely you will get the best gear for both. At some point you are going to have to choose what Job of the two you most like, and which you want to excel at.
    I agree. I put all of my points into MND, because I want to be the best Scholar I can be, even if that slightly diminishes the effectiveness of my SMN, which I'm treating as an alt-job. I'm likely only going to have time to acquire a full set of endgame gear for one role (meaning token+raid gear and a relic), so splitting my points 50/50 while attempting to somehow be equally good at both seems unlikely to ever work out the way one might want it to. Unless you're planning to acquire equally-good sets of gear for both jobs and play them both equally, I suggest that you try to make a decision one way or the other.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    The customization points aren't much in the grand scheme of things, 15/15 is hardly gimping yourself. My WHM's set at 20 MND/10 VIT and I do perfectly fine, I'm considering going 15/15.

As you get higher level and gear gets stronger it really starts overtaking the custom points and by the time you get to stuff that requires crazy gear, your gear will more than cover what you need. Obviously if you end up liking more than the other you will want to focus on that one, but if you want to and have the opportunity to play both you can split just fine.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pepinot Foret
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 36
    It just seems to me that this whole idea to make an Arcanist "choose" is poorly thought out for those who want to main Scholar.
    If you dump everything into MND, you'll be "gimping" yourself pre-30, before you unlock Scholar.
    If you dump first 30 levels worth of stat points into INT because it benefits Arcanist, you can't max out MND as Scholar.

Proposed solution: Give Arcanist Cleric Stance as well. SE, please consider this.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast