Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Your signature is in conflict with what you want. I'm still waiting for a way to have world spawn NMs without any potential for abuse. Frankly, I think the probelm is potentially worse for FFXIV because claim doesn't prevent people from attacking a monster. Thus people can mess with enmity and such to ruin your fight. Any HNM in the open world just has to be in an instance or it's going to be chaos.

I don't support open-world HNMs unless you can show me a clear, concise way to have them without any of the problems that existed in FFXI. I DO support instanced HNMs, BCNMs and other fights that you don't have to compete with other people for the right to attempt.
    Well hopefully in 2.0, you won't be able to attack an enemy which another party/alliance has engaged. Furthermore, maybe they will have a feature such as something similar to /blockaid, that would prevent other LS's from MPK attempts.

As for possible OPen-World content that can be bot free, please read the entirety of the OP.

Spawn timers between 6-8 hours for major, HNM. Widened spawn area to prevent RMT/Bots/Cheaters from standing in one spot mashing a macro over and over.

Rare/ex Drops for the most part, make them unsellable so that RMT and botters can't turn around for profit. (Alas, there you run into the issue of botters trying to sell rare/ex drops, that needs to be discussed)

Regardless, any systems, be it Open-World or instanced has the opportunities to be abused for its flaws. It will take implementation, testing, and patching to get anything right. We all know game developers don't implement material that is perfect right out of the gate.
    (1)
    Bring Quality Notorious Monsters to FFXIV!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/40738-Highly-Notorious-Monstersz

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Well hopefully in 2.0, you won't be able to attack an enemy which another party/alliance has engaged.
    That's a rather big hopefully. For ordinary purposes, the revised claim system we have now is fine. It's going to be a mess for any kind of world spawn boss if nothing is done though.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    This is SE, every time they attempted they failed.
    First attempts bring failure. It's in those failures you find means to bring success. You have to walk before you can run.

Notorious Monsters, were, and still are an undeniably large aspect of Square-Enix's prior MMO. There are many different forms of NM's, and not everyone liked certain forms.

But the glory of it all, was the branches of content. There was so much to kill, you could decide what you wanted to go after.

Shall we get some zeni and pop a couple ZNM's, should we go camp LL, maybe we should kill Fafnir, the list goes on. Sure the system needs improving, but many people want to see it, why not work on it? (sorry, alot of commas there)

That's a rather big hopefully. For ordinary purposes, the revised claim system we have now is fine. It's going to be a mess for any kind of world spawn boss if nothing is done though.
    Oh, for sure lol. It would be a madhouse, pure chaos. Before HNM, or any open world NM comes, we need the claim system to be revised and revamped.

Also, edited my Signature. You were right Alha, I was sending the wrong message. Fixed! (hopefully)
    (3)
    Last edited by ThePatriarch; 04-02-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I like that a lot better. I'm not in any way opposed to the spirit of your suggestion. I'm very specific about what I don't want- I don't want FFXI's HNMs to be implemented the same way in FFXIV. It doesn't mean I don't want them at all- It only means I want them without the frustration and annoyance and large amount of idling the old system had (Honestly: That's actually what I hated most: Sitting around doing nothing for up to 3 hours.)

But the glory of it all, was the branches of content. There was so much to kill, you could decide what you wanted to go after.
    Only thing is most of this came much later. For quite a long time, the only "HNMs" were the Three Kings, their KSNM clones, and maybe Kirin. Then the three wyrms in CoP. Then the three new kings in ToAU. It wasn't until ZNM that it started branching out a lot more.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-02-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I like that a lot better. I'm not in any way opposed to the spirit of your suggestion. I'm very specific about what I don't want- I don't want FFXI's HNMs to be implemented the same way in FFXIV. It doesn't mean I don't want them at all- It only means I want them without the frustration and annoyance and large amount of idling the old system had (Honestly: That's actually what I hated most: Sitting around doing nothing for up to 3 hours.)
    As do we all!

I loath even the thought of sitting around for 3 hours hoping every 30 minutes that X-HNM will pop.

I like the thought of 6hour, possibly an 8 hour respawn. With just 1 (one) 15 minute window. Hell, it could be 5 minutes I guess.

Lets say that in FFXIV they release an HNM called Fafnir. Say Fafnir has an 8 Hour repop, with 1 quick 15 min window.

Fafnir is due to pop at 8:37pm. We can roll out at 8:20, get to camp a few minutes early, window hits and he pops within 4 minutes. Even if you lose claim, less than a half an hour used up, and you can get back to whatever you were doing, or move on to your next daily event.

And HNM's are just a small morsel for our hardcore crowd, we all need to be thrown a little piece of the bone.

Alas, HNM's should hopefully be just a morsel of the diversity of which will hopefully be NM's. Along with HNM should come instanced NM's, force spawn NM's, lottery spawn NM's, and many unique styles to cater to all branches of the game, and not solely for the hardcore.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lucy Lestat
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    If they did world bosses the claim system is fine. They could add dragons that take 40 people or something to kill and give people credit for helping by giving points like in Rift.
    Lets say Nidhogg and his army spawn somewhere, group kills them. They get "dragonslayer points" that can be used to purchase gear from NPC in Ishgard. Everyone wins.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    If they did world bosses the claim system is fine. They could add dragons that take 40 people or something to kill and give people credit for helping by giving points like in Rift.
    Lets say Nidhogg and his army spawn somewhere, group kills them. They get "dragonslayer points" that can be used to purchase gear from NPC in Ishgard. Everyone wins.
    I can level with you here, kind of a neat option. Would most certainly promote teamwork, and fair play. Along with even loot distribution. I think content like that should definitely be taken into consideration. I will add this to OP

I think that there should still be a few true HNM's that can only be taken down by a single group, and not openly attacked by everyone. But I'm sure you can level with me, and agree that a couple of true open world HNM's for the hardcore crowd that likes them wouldn't be too bad.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tsubaki Nakatsu
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    large scale open world community PvE content is awesome. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to GW2. But there still needs to be some straight up competition in open world. Nuff said. ADD IT ALL I say so that EVERYONE can be happy.

- instances
    - large scale community pve
    - competitive world hnm
    - minor nms
    - competitive pvp

ALL
    (4)
    Last edited by Richard_BG; 04-02-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    www.bluegarter.guildwork.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    Look at you... Just when I thought I liked Carraway more (and Fusional A LOT LESS)... Richard... you're my new favorite

Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_BG View Post
    large scale open world community PvE content is awesome. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to GW2. But there still needs to be some straight up competition in open world. Nuff said. ADD IT ALL I say so that EVERYONE can be happy.

- instances
    - large scale community pve
    - competitive world hnm
    - minor nms
    - competitive pvp

ALL
    This 100%.

I know it is impossible to please EVERYONE, but I see no harm in attempting to cater some content to every sector of your playerbase.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lucy Lestat
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    I think the problem could be resolved through loot.
    I guess in XI SE intended for a group to go camp Fafnir for a bit and than move on. However, it never happened because of the crappy drop rates.
    If they added lets say 20 major HNMs to begin with, put a reasonable repop on them, and gave them a decent drop rate. Maybe it would work. A decent amount of NMs would spread out groups and if they got their stuff fairly fast they could move on. Fights should be pretty tough, but take no longer than 30-40 min. Rage timers included.
    SE would have to avoid giving them gear like in XI though. The gear that was hands down best around for many years.
    I strongly believe that best gear should be earned by hard work, not drop. More like a relic quest, but something players can chip away at everyday. Reward effort, not killing 1 mob in this case.

Another idea is quests where you would have to kill HNMs. It's could be a bit of a twist on abjurations.
    You get a cursed piece of gear made with some rare mats (throw crafters/gatherers a bone) go to a NPC and he says go kill Fafnir, Behemoth, and Ada to lift the curse.
    This way they dangle a carrot which keeps everyone around occupied.
    (0)

Page 55 of 117 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast