Page 45 of 117 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Sri Ahbayaa
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I believe he's saying that seeing an NM in XI was surprising and exciting. When they are always up they become boring and commonplace. They're little more than an NPC you go out and click on until they give you the gear you want. The rarity in XI gave them value. They enhanced the environment and added an air of anticipation.
    (2)

Player

Ahh, I see. Appearently he was making a good point, I just missed it. I never got deep int FFXI (tried it, didn't like it). Its one reason I hate how everyone all to often assumes everyone here played XI enough to always reference it. None the less, I get the intended point now, thanks.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nyris Reach
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    I think a solo challenge NM arena would be cool
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kyrs Isley
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_BG View Post
    Arena from Monster Hunter Tri. But that would require action combat on par with Tera and GW2 (which we will never have) QQ
    Arena like that would be awesome. Action combat may never reach the pace of Tera or GW2, but if it's not as slow as what we have now, it's still plausible (maybe 2.0).

Never played MH Tri, but arenas in MHPs were pretty easy, so difficulty will need to be tuned a little.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pico Man
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    With over 110 likes, i think you may have a little support OP. ^^

Will be fun to see how/when/why/if HNM are implemented.
    (0)
    Download my iPad app on the App Store http://bit.ly/10QMy4C ^^

Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhayaa View Post
    I believe he's saying that seeing an NM in XI was surprising and exciting. When they are always up they become boring and commonplace. They're little more than an NPC you go out and click on until they give you the gear you want. The rarity in XI gave them value. They enhanced the environment and added an air of anticipation.
    Indeed.

I will use Valkurm Emperor and Prince of Pestilence as examples:

Valkurm Emperor was a measly level 35 NM in a low level zone, but in the early days it was heavily camped and sought after like no other. Even after years of implementation, people freaked out and rushed to claim it when they saw it up unclaimed. Even to this day I like seeing that old NM.

Prince of Pestilence, like most NM's in FFXIV, is always up. Even if its killed, it will be there again in 5 minutes. Not exciting to see, to me it's just another mob.

I want NM's to have that magic again, I want to get excited when I see one. Not shrug my shoulders and walk on by.
    (6)
    Bring Quality Notorious Monsters to FFXIV!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/40738-Highly-Notorious-Monstersz

Player
    Character
    Pico Man
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    I used to actually dream about seeing the words Leaping Lizzy on Widescan after doing 4-8 hour stints of camping back in the day.

I would say though, over the course of a few years, maybe between 05-08 i used to camp Eastern Shadow in Fe' Yin for the e-Bow and only fought him three times...

And with Argus, used to camp the hell outta him and only ever saw it defeated once in chat log after falling asleep.
    (Actually got to fight him though, returning for 2 months after 3 years out, in 2011, and got it to drop Peacock Amulet on first day of reactivation, lol.)
    (2)
    Download my iPad app on the App Store http://bit.ly/10QMy4C ^^

Player
    Character
    Chuck Lebro
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 5
    In all honesty, open-world HNM's make the world far more interesting. There are ways around MPKing, abuses, and various other issues FFXI had. We don't need windows that invite camping. What I would like is to be able to fight an awesome HNM, or just explore through a dangerous area to get a peek at one. I remember running through KRT just to take a look at Vrtra when I was pretty low level, and it was exciting. I even enjoyed watching a big group fight a dragon for an hour before I got to do it myself.

It's one of many things this game is missing and a big reason why I've taken so many breaks since the game came out.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Sri Ahbayaa
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Picoman View Post
    I used to actually dream about seeing the words Leaping Lizzy on Widescan after doing 4-8 hour stints of camping back in the day.

I would say though, over the course of a few years, maybe between 05-08 i used to camp Eastern Shadow in Fe' Yin for the e-Bow and only fought him three times...

And with Argus, used to camp the hell outta him and only ever saw it defeated once in chat log after falling asleep.
    (Actually got to fight him though, returning for 2 months after 3 years out, in 2011, and got it to drop Peacock Amulet on first day of reactivation, lol.)
    Damn, man. I think I'm actually going to reactivate my XI account now. I miss these NMs.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Meneyota Kunyaa
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePatriarch View Post
    Indeed.

I will use Valkurm Emperor and Prince of Pestilence as examples:

Valkurm Emperor was a measly level 35 NM in a low level zone, but in the early days it was heavily camped and sought after like no other. Even after years of implementation, people freaked out and rushed to claim it when they saw it up unclaimed. Even to this day I like seeing that old NM.

Prince of Pestilence, like most NM's in FFXIV, is always up. Even if its killed, it will be there again in 5 minutes. Not exciting to see, to me it's just another mob.

I want NM's to have that magic again, I want to get excited when I see one. Not shrug my shoulders and walk on by.
    Not saying I disagree with the idea of hnms for the people who thought that was fun, but the only reason people rushed to valkurm emperor, leaping lizzy, et al is because they dropped gear that was considered either mandatory by elitist jerks, or could be sold for millions of Gil, they also were heavily camped by bots and had lousy drop rates.

Personally I like ffxiv's nm' because I can usually actually see them, kill them, and if I feel like it actually try and get the item from them, camp them for awhile, top that off with their drops being u/u and you don't wind up with XI's "if you dont have this incredibably rare drop from this heavily camped nm, you're gimp and lazy"

Page 45 of 117 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 ... LastLast