Player
    Character
    Lady Purrsalot
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 50

Roegadyn Dictionary

Finally something I'm willing to fill my CE log with. Going to copy these down, practice writing them in eorzea font, and make my own Roegadyn to English dictionary. ^_^

Thank you Ferne for all this work.

Just to make my post a bit more interesting and less waste of forum space, I have a question about Roegadyn Names.
    Are there any rules with names like: Only the first name can be a verb? or The last name can never be an adjective?
    (7)
    Last edited by Lady; 03-13-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: typing between phone calls at work leads to making a fool of yourself with words like: Righting instead of writing.

Player
    Character
    Seraphine Lautrec
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    omg the CE diary I forgot it existed! XD lol

The Roeg dictionary is full of win!
    (1)

Thank you for the question, Lady Purrsalot (awesome name, btw).

As most of the names the Roegadyn use will follow a pattern of an noun proceeded by a word which modifies it, you'll find that the most common combinations are ones like the following:

Adjective + Noun -> Green Sausage (Grynewyrst)
    Noun + Noun -> Aurochs Sausage (Urswyrst)
    Verb (ing) + Noun -> Fighting Sausage (Fehtnwyrst)

The noun form of verbs also are used in the second half of names

Noun + Verb (er) -> Sausage Bringer (Wyrstleita)
    Adjective (flat adverb) + Verb (ing) -> Fast Fighting (quickly fighting) (Holskfehtn)

As the Sea Wolves do not actually use the old language outside of names (and haven't for hundreds of years), a lot of the grammatical rules have been forgotten...or in some cases adapted (as a result of the actual rules being forgotten). If a Roegadyn father, on his son's naming day, wishes to name him "Make Sausage" (instead of the more popular "Sausage Maker"), then the son would become Byldwyrst (and would probably be scarred for life), and no one could object.

Hope that helps!
    (18)

Player
    Character
    Jacien Visenad
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    If a Roegadyn father, on his son's naming day, wishes to name him "Make Sausage" (instead of the more popular "Sausage Maker"), then the son would become Byldwyrst (and would probably be scarred for life), and no one could object.
    Best example.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    In Roegadyn culture, the son is named by their father: Check!
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Lady Purrsalot
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 50
    Thank you for the question, Lady Purrsalot (awesome name, btw).
    thanks! /blush

As most of the names the Roegadyn use will follow a pattern of an noun proceeded by a word which modifies it, you'll find that the most common combinations are ones like the following:

Adjective + Noun -> Green Sausage (Grynewyrst)
    Noun + Noun -> Aurochs Sausage (Urswyrst)
    Verb (ing) + Noun -> Fighting Sausage (Fehtnwyrst)

The noun form of verbs also are used in the second half of names

Noun + Verb (er) -> Sausage Bringer (Wyrstleita)
    Adjective (flat adverb) + Verb (ing) -> Fast Fighting (quickly fighting) (Holskfehtn)

As the Sea Wolves do not actually use the old language outside of names (and haven't for hundreds of years), a lot of the grammatical rules have been forgotten...or in some cases adapted (as a result of the actual rules being forgotten). If a Roegadyn father, on his son's naming day, wishes to name him "Make Sausage" (instead of the more popular "Sausage Maker"), then the son would become Byldwyrst (and would probably be scarred for life), and no one could object.

Hope that helps!
    And thank you for this too! Going to have to make an alt Roegadyn and name him Fehtnwyrst now!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nuinn Nomi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 64
    I wish all the answers to lore questions would get added (along with the quoted question) to the stickied lore topics :x
    (1)
    Proud member of the Abyss FC — Excalibur

If you need a place to chat about all sorts of ridiculous, dorky and nonsensical topics, feel free to join the Absolutely Fabulous LS
    Send a /tell and bring your happy pills~!

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuinn View Post
    I wish all the answers to lore questions would get added (along with the quoted question) to the stickied lore topics :x
    Fusionx over at GamerEscape created a type of blog tag called The Lore Train once upon a time...

AND OF COURSE IT FEATURES A RIDICULOUS(LY AWESOME) AHRIMAN IMAGE
    (Why would it not?)

If you guys want, we might be able to swing keeping an eye on dev posts in this forum and putting out a periodic lore train post via GE with "everything we've learned this week" or whatever.
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-14-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Nuinn Nomi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 64
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    If you guys want, we might be able to swing keeping an eye on dev posts in this forum and putting out a periodic lore train post via GE with "everything we've learned this week" or whatever.
    Oh! Wonderful idea. Either a blog or a thread here in the Lore sub-forum with reserved & updated posts on the first page. That is, if we can't /poke a Ferne or two into doing that for us :3
    (1)
    Proud member of the Abyss FC — Excalibur

If you need a place to chat about all sorts of ridiculous, dorky and nonsensical topics, feel free to join the Absolutely Fabulous LS
    Send a /tell and bring your happy pills~!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuinn View Post
    Looks like it got buried, but I mentioned HERE about eventually getting all these additional naming tidbits popping up in individual threads added to the stickies. I may need a bit more time, as translation/localization work for ARR's release is ramping up, but it will happen. Until then, I leave you in the able hands of the fine lads at GamerEscape. (And yeah, that ridiculously awesome ahriman is ridiculously awesome)
    (10)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast