Player
    Character
    Firon Veleth
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by syntaxlies View Post
    well you can comment, i meant commenting on the difficulty lvl of it. If you just mean that certain people can get them rather fast then that is fact. But im saying don't comment on the difficulty lvl of the content if you have not done it. It wasn't an attack on you, just saying wait til you complete it to post on the difficulty lvl.
    Lets be honest its only like 2 hard parts of the quest, to me at least. So what are the other hard parts except ifritx and factions.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolf View Post
    This reminds me of the ancient argument in FFXI. "If you've never played a job, you can't know how to gear it up, so I won't take any advice you give me" which is just as stupid.
    Not exactly the same argument, but in a parallel vein. You can plan out gear on paper and you can plan out a boss strategy on paper. How those two goals are met is quite different. I am a firm believer that educating yourself beforehand gives you the best chance of success, but nothing truly replaces first-hand experience.

To that end, I believe many of the posters here are correct in saying that this relic quest is the first step of many. First hurdles are simple and straightforward. This is it and I felt like it was designed fairly well in that it is accessible and you can make steady progress in it. Challenges increase and you get a few fun/short breaks in the quest. It has a mix of solo and group content, which XI's relic quest lacked. It's a modern design, unlike spam-Dynamis-for-months. I only did four weapons myself (blew up 85mil trying to meld polearm) and was pretty content with the leve quests and ifrit battle. So no, it's not like XI's relics and we should be grateful for that to some extent.
    (0)
    Last edited by GreyJorildyn; 11-10-2012 at 03:59 AM.
    Draw swords and shatter shields with us!
    Apply to Neutral Impact today!

http://www.impact-gaming.us

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiote View Post
    It's more than likely that Relics as they are now will only be phase one. When the level cap is increased a second time, there will likely be a Relic Upgrade system added.
    yep i said that a few times people just seem not to care much lol./
    (0)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Syntax Lies
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Firon View Post
    Lets be honest its only like 2 hard parts of the quest, to me at least. So what are the other hard parts except ifritx and factions.
    i have not once said if i thought the relic quest was hard or not. Im only saying if people want to claim its easy as fact then they should have a relic. I don't care if people speculate its easy or say relic quest seems lie it might be easy. But no one can claim it as a fact unless they did it.

its not just nero, its in every other thread people wanting a harder relic challenge but not even finishing the relic quest to begin with.

I wonder if people really want the content to be harder if they just want more of a time sink.
    (0)
    Last edited by syntaxlies; 11-10-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Player
    Character
    Karon Mephisto
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by syntaxlies View Post
    well you can comment, i meant commenting on the difficulty lvl of it. If you just mean that certain people can get them rather fast then that is fact. But im saying don't comment on the difficulty lvl of the content if you have not done it. It wasn't an attack on you, just saying wait til you complete it to post on the difficulty lvl.
    Then you missunderstand what i meant, or i used the wrong words.

I said that not everyone is able to do it, which should show that i am aware of a certain grade of difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Xero View Post

FYI, WWII was super easy to win
    You sir, are bad. x_x
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    SE made relics available very early on in FFXI's lifecycle in 2003. They were the top weapons until 2010 when abyssea came out and gave us Empyrean weapons some of which were better then relics.

Relics created an artificial ceiling on weapons in FFXI in that no weapon released in that 10 year time span could be better then a relic or have higher damage on it.

Now we have FFXIV they released relics early on as well. Are we going to see a repeat of what happened in FFXI where every new weapon that comes out has to be worse then relics? Or will we actually see them come out with new weapons that are better then relics?
    relics are far to easy to come by to stay in the top forever, i foresee a staged Relic progression in the near future each being harder and hader to get with tier 3 weapons being the best of the best for years. like the Excalibur, i love me some Excalibur/Kraken Club Duel Welding paladin...who said paladin cant DD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Endu Qerel
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Req View Post
    If you had someone give you all their currency in XI you could get the quest line done within a few days as well if it werent for the fact that it was designed to make you wait a certain amount of time between each phase of the quest line.
    Except for the small detail that at the 75 cap, you needed a skilled group that knows Dynamis well to get the Attestation in Glacier & down all the demon NMs + down the animated weapon in Xarc. I'm not saying those things are overly hard per-se, just that doing them does take actual player skill and a group that has had plenty of practice in Dynamis in general. I knew a guy that was super rich, bought all his relic currency & then couldn't get the quest done for the longest time because his linkshell didn't have the skill to get him his last 2 items.

Again, getting those items isn't hard for a skilled group that knew Dynamis well, but I see multiple people in this thread claiming anyone could get a relic if they had the currency. Just not true. Now I will concede that in today's XI, that's probably true. I would think you could finish a relic there these days just as fast as you can on XIV, since the cap is 99. But at the 75 cap? No. You needed a skilled group (or at the very least skilled people leading the runs & doing the sac pulls) for the last parts of the quest, just like you need a skilled group for Ifrit Extreme.

As far as the XIV relic = XI AF weapons, I don't agree with that at all. It's more like XIV relic = XI Empyrean weapons in terms of the time it takes to get one. Last time I played XI on a reg, the cap was still 90. Back then it took about a week (sometimes less depending on the weapon) to finish the trials for the level 85 version of the Empys. Empys are slightly easier due to the fact that even with the last 2 trials (for the 85 ver at least) being RNG grinds, you usually always get at least 1 item. The point is; they are realy nice weapons that don't take too long to get with a good static, just like the XIV relics.

As for the original topic of conversation, there is no doubt the XIV relics will be upgradable. But I wouldn't be shocked to see weapons from the hardest content at the start of 2.0s life that are equal to relics. I also wouldn't be shocked if the upgrades get harder and harder over time to thin the herd a bit & we end up with only a fraction of those with relics that have the top tier upgrades.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ironmusketeer Koroma
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 50
    SE made relics available very early on in FFXI's lifecycle in 2003. They were the top weapons until 2010 when abyssea came out and gave us Empyrean weapons some of which were better then relics.

Relics created an artificial ceiling on weapons in FFXI in that no weapon released in that 10 year time span could be better then a relic or have higher damage on it.

Now we have FFXIV they released relics early on as well. Are we going to see a repeat of what happened in FFXI where every new weapon that comes out has to be worse then relics? Or will we actually see them come out with new weapons that are better then relics?
    I disagree about your ff11 comment mythics were way better then relics for like half the jobs it's just they were way harder to get.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but...

Most relics were considered pretty lol or a waste of shell resources outside of Gjallerhorn and Aegis
    The only "lol" relic was Claustrum. Every other relic were fine. Excalibur was debatable. These days it's up in the air since fully capping off a relic is usually done with those without access to a mythic or a good empyrean, for example Almace could be seen as a better choice for PLD unless they have their mythic sword. Note: Could Be.

At least as I remember it, you didn't see shells going crazy to get Gungnirs, Ragnaroks and Excaliburs. You did see them getting the shield and horn for all their PLDs and BRDs, though.
    1. Gungnir is a damn good lance due to the fact DRG in XI was a DoT DD compared to the rest. It had nice spike damage capabilities but SE nerfed it offhandedly by changing the TP floor on certain WS and that most things could shrug off piercing damage end-game.

2. Only the Mythic weapon beats out the Gungnir in terms of the "goal" oriented lances. The Empyrean is soso.

3. The G-Spot horn was only wanted due to the boosted Ballad and the ability to forgo every other instrument once you got one. As the cap raised, it got stronger, however, the Durabala is the better choice for a lot of situations simply due to the calculations post level 80.

4. Aegis made PLDs invincible back in the early 75 cap days (if they had the skill and gear to supplement it), these days? Ochain is the default choice for a lot of stuff and their AF3 set bonus pretty much took over Aegis's throne since rather than negating a bit of damage..you absorb it the entire hit to HP.

5. Ragnarok was during a time GSD was a bad choice for most of the game outside of Spinning Slash on HNMs, so the Apocalypse was better due to the haste and the fact it was DRK's main weapon.

So most of the relics weren't "lol", it's the fact Aegis and G-spot horn was overpowered that made it so desireable over everything else, because you get your BRDs and PLDs those..you're set for life.

I think your question should be more as to whether they'll make dumb mistakes like creating super weapons like the elemental staves that last much more than any lv51 weapons have a right to.
    This statement is funny, because if SE didn't opt to change calculations, you can guarantee people will still be using pre 50 cap raise gear in XIV over new gear because they would have powerful melded gear that will last for a long time to come.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    In its prime for I would say 1 dynamis run would yield 12m worth of currency. The run only cost 1m.
    LOL, so what 10 runs and you had the 100mil or so for a relic weapon. you are way off the mark. 10 runs 5 weeks for most linkshells thats about 10 completed relics a year per shell. You're numbers are way off

Quote Originally Posted by Queezy View Post
    11 and 14 have two very different content levels and gear itemization. 11 gear grind was way harder then anything that has been and prolly will be implemented into 14.
    Yet amazingly 11 content felt much more rewarding as a whole. which is primarily why everytime people post about the loot system they refer to 11. content was much more structured in xi. and you almost always saw something at the end of it. you'd go through the ball ache of grinding limbus zones to get keys but it was near impossible to walk out of ultima omega with nothing.
    (1)

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast